after workout snack

Options
straving ... i wanna eat my own arm was only an hour on my cross trainier. but I am straving was on 1200 cals today whats a quick filling cheap snack I can have before i try and eat my own cat

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Popcorn!
  • maxinethestrange
    Options
    :indifferent: not really a popcorn person
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I hear cat IS very delicious! :D
  • BIG_Lew
    BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    After a workout try eat a couple gummy bears or gummy worms, to help with ur electro-lites and glucose levels. This will refuel u safely and tackle ur hunger
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Not really cheap but I use the Clif trail mix bars...they are 180 calories but keep me really full and I use it as breakfast and snack since I work out first thing in the morning.
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Get eating those cals you just burned lady! You'll need some protein after all that - what about a nice vegetable omelette?
  • maxinethestrange
    Options
    After a workout try eat a couple gummy bears or gummy worms, to help with ur electro-lites and glucose levels. This will refuel u safely and tackle ur hunger

gummy bears are one of my weaknesses if they come into my house i will explode
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    What about a Whey Protein Shake? I find 'em quite filling.

250ml of skimmed (fat free milk,) and one scoop of Whey Protein (normally 25g-ish)
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Protein bars!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    After strength training - chocolate milk.

After cardio - a piece of wholemeal toast with peanut butter, or an omelette, or a small portion of wholewheat pasta with tomato based sauce.
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    bump
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are my life line to reality. I ran out and I'm dying. They are the perfect snack. I make a dozen at the beginning of the week and eat them all week long.
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    Strawberry banana smoothie-6 strawberries, a small banana, 1 scoop biggest loser vanilla protein powder, 1 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk- blend well, 200 calories. On hot days like today, i put the strawberries and banana in the freezer and it comes out so thick its almost ice cream.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You NEED good nutrition right after a workout. It's extremely important to pay attention to what you eat after a workout, because it can really help you, or really hurt you. You need carbs post workout, to renew muscle glycogen so your muscles can immediately start repairing themselves. If you don't give your body some carbs, it will get what it needs from itself, which means losing valuable muscle mass. You also want some protein, so your muscles have the amino acids they needs to rebuild themselves. I like milk post workout, as it has a good combo of proteins and carbs, but anything that has both will work. Avoid fats like the plague post workout.

If possible, schedule your whole eating plan around your post workout meal. Take calories away from other meals if you need to. I'd sooner skip breakfast and lunch completely than not eat right after my workouts (in fact, I have done that, it's called intermittent fasting, and is an amazing diet plan).
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Strawberry banana smoothie-6 strawberries, a small banana, 1 scoop biggest loser vanilla protein powder, 1 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk- blend well, 200 calories. On hot days like today, i put the strawberries and banana in the freezer and it comes out so thick its almost ice cream.

This is a perfect example of what I'm saying. The only problem might be fats in the almond milk (almonds are an amazing source of good fats, but right after a workout fats are not a good idea). Reduced fat or skim milk would be a better option, but other than that you've got the protein, and carbs from the milk as fruits. Also the potassium from the banana, which will help with muscle recovery and keep down the soreness, so you can do it again tomorrow!
  • kbean33
    kbean33 Posts: 50
    Options
    bump