Calories in/Calories out vs. low carb

Options

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Also look up the need for adequate protein while in a caloric deficit to reduce muscle loss.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I feel like keto works best for me because I feel obligated to stick with it. I don't allow myself cheat days, since I'm worried I'll fall out of fat-adapted mode.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Seven years ago, I successfully lost 40 pounds counting calories and eating the "standard recommendation" 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat for macros (give or take). Yes, I am back to calorie counting to lose weight again, but that isn't calorie counting's fault (or carbs' fault). I stopped counting due to several life events including two pregnancies.

So, anyway, back to counting and have lost 20+ pounds in about 3 months since I restarted counting. Still eating 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat (give or take). My calorie allowance is high enough that I'm getting the grams of protein I need.

While great for some people, LCHF (low carb high fat) is not necessary for weight loss. Which is a good thing because I physically can't do it. I have fat tolerance issues (and have to work really hard to even get anywhere close to 30%) which mean that, for me, any low carb diet is effectively a VLCD (very low calorie diet) - and a very very bad idea.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've lost over 50 pounds while eating what i like, which includes pizza, potato chips and chocolate while weighing what i eat so i don't get crazy. i did put some weight back on when i stopped weighing and measuring, but i started again and things are going well - and i just finished a fudgecicle :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's not a question of "vs" it's a question of if there needs to be an "and". If you are losing weight on a low carb diet, you are automatically in a calorie deficit. Now if you want to have a calorie deficit and eat a low carb diet, that is up to the individual. It's viable for some who enjoy eating that way, and not sustainable for those who don't. In some cases it creates a calorie deficit without having to count calories, in other cases the appetite reduction is not reliable enough and you need to continue counting calories along with eating low carb.

Personally I have lost more than 100 lbs eating a relatively high carb diet, so "everyone around you" can go running around in circles trying to explain how "the way to go" was not necessary or desirable in my case.
  • fatsince4
    fatsince4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    188# down and never counted carbs.
  • btrsun10
    btrsun10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's not one size fits all. I am low carb but that's because I love the food I get to eat. I LOVE cheese, butter, cream bacon. I mean I LOVE them lol. I understand now that what made ME fat was the crackers, bread, pasta and sugar that I used to eat along side these things. So I've cut those things out, eat the things I LOVE and am losing weight. These foods satisfy me and fill me up. I feel as if every day is a cheat day.
    I know that this is woe is not right for everyone, I get that. I know however that it is right for me :)
    One friend starves all week then eat what she wants at the weekend. She's losing weight.
    Another eats high carbs low fat, she's losing weight.
    Who is to say who is right and who is wrong? It's gotta be what works for YOU.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    btrsun10 wrote: »
    It's not one size fits all. I am low carb but that's because I love the food I get to eat. I LOVE cheese, butter, cream bacon. I mean I LOVE them lol. I understand now that what made ME fat was the crackers, bread, pasta and sugar that I used to eat along side these things. So I've cut those things out, eat the things I LOVE and am losing weight. These foods satisfy me and fill me up. I feel as if every day is a cheat day.
    I know that this is woe is not right for everyone, I get that. I know however that it is right for me :)
    One friend starves all week then eat what she wants at the weekend. She's losing weight.

^exactly-- I tried high carb low fat and was miserable with being hungry all day. It took a lot of self control to maintain a deficit on that. With LCHF I'm naturally not hungry, can go long periods between meals and can even do IF. I never could have on high carb because I was driven to eat every three hours or suffer with fighting off hunger and a gnawing feeling in my stomach. I don't get that when I eat adequate healthy fats and low carbs.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    It's kind of like saying basketball or activity

Basketball is an activity
    An activity can be basketball if that's what you like to play

{{Nice analogy}} Pick things that you like to do as an activity and you will keep doing them -- the same as with food choices
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

^exactly-- I tried high carb low fat and was miserable with being hungry all day. It took a lot of self control to maintain a deficit on that. With LCHF I'm naturally not hungry, can go long periods between meals and can even do IF. I never could have on high carb because I was driven to eat every three hours or suffer with fighting off hunger and a gnawing feeling in my stomach. I don't get that when I eat adequate healthy fats and low carbs.

Curious...did you ever try something in between? Only two extremes of the spectrum?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I've found that I do best on a lower (but not ultra-low) carb diet. I found that sticking to veggies and meat mainly seemed to work pretty well, but being able to put them in a low-carb tortilla or eat a potato once in a while just worked best for me.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »

Curious...did you ever try something in between? Only two extremes of the spectrum?

That's what I'm doing now. I've been able to balance them more evenly. Thanks.
    :)
  • DebSozo
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I've found that I do best on a lower (but not ultra-low) carb diet. I found that sticking to veggies and meat mainly seemed to work pretty well, but being able to put them in a low-carb tortilla or eat a potato once in a while just worked best for me.

I'm playing with those adjustments now. I did a keto type induction but have found that I can add some carbs with a meal.