When's the last time you ran a full sprint?

Options
Like a 40 yard dash on a track or field... all out.

LOL. Be careful doing this if it's been a long time... scary feeling losing control of the wheel, so to speak.

Ever notice little kids love sprinting? Why do we lose this urge as adults?

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Tuesday. It's tough but kind of fun. We do them at the end of my run group workouts every week. I always think I'm not going to be able to do it because I'm tired, but then you just kind of go! :)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'd be afraid to fall on my face.
  • walkjem
    walkjem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I run 60 meter all-out sprints 2 or 3 days per week. You do need to work up to sprinting.
    I always warm up with 10 minutes of a walk/jog, and stretch afterwards. I LOVE fast running!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I tried sprinting earlier this year while participating in a 5k. Scary indeed. I think it had been so long that my brain didn't know how to do it with the top-heavy load.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i want to say nevah, just on principle. but a few years ago when i was re-trying running again i ran a couple on the treadmill. they were exhilarating, but kind of scary.

bike sprints more frequently but not sure if they count. there's something about sprinting that feels to me like it's a shelf. hard to haul myself up onto it, but once i'm up there it's almost easier to stay there. maybe that's what the 'scary' part is.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was a competitive sprinter from 2nd grade through my senior year in highschool. At one brief moment in time I was ranked third in the state in the 100 meters. I haven't sprinted since highschool...it kind of lost it's luster and just became work and not all that fun anymore. I loathed my last two years of track and field even though that's when I performed my best.

I don't think I'd even try it now with the foot issues I have...I'm pretty happy just killing it on the bike...and I do sprints on the bike.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wednesday ...due to an emergency I had to run and get someone's partner from their house, I was impressed at how easy I felt in my body, until I didn't
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Wednesday during my weekly speed workout. I don't often sprint full out but this week we were playing games.

There's nothing to be afraid of if you are in decent shape. I've pushed it as far as my body will go at the end of a few 5 and 10k races (when there's money involved B) ). And I do a test every year to see what my current max heart rate is.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Last Thursday was Tabata style sprints. Love the feeling!!!!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I hate running and never do it by choice. B)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

.... away from the LAPD

Don't ask; thanks.
  • bamagirlintn1
    bamagirlintn1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not since I played coed softball about 12 years ago. I am afraid to try now. I don't know why, maybe fear of falling or tearing a hamstring.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I sprint when being chased.. have not been chased by anything other than other runners on the running track in high school.. eeeeeewwww 1985
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    One day last week ... my bus was closing in on the stop and I figured I'd better get a move-on if I was going to catch it.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Not since I played coed softball about 12 years ago. I am afraid to try now. I don't know why, maybe fear of falling or tearing a hamstring.

I forgot all about baseball. I guess I sprint every weekend. Gotta run out those ground balls to short. :blush:
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    A couple weeks ago at a company picnic kickball game, running bases. I run three times a week, but those sprints left me more sore than I've been in a long time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The last time i sprinted would have been in Primary school, and the next time will be if i'm being chased by a murderer or zombies :tongue:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Ummmmmm, nope, no idea. Remember running down hills as a kid though and worrying your legs might just not be able to keep up? Good times.

I do run now and again, well, jog but have never felt the desire to break into a sprint.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Probably some time in the 70s. I often used to sprint for a bus before I discovered 6 inch heels. And taxis ;-)