Why do so many people say they can't reach their calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    @edena001 don't take it personal - there are a lot of folks that say this and it does seem strange that over weight folks trying to loose weight can't eat 1200 calories otherwise how did they become overweight.

I totally changed the way I was eating when I first started and I was eating a ton of protein bars that gave me a heavy feeling in my stomach. Since I stopped eating those I've returned to having no problem eating 1250 calories.

I think there are legitimate reasons but they don't usually last.

The problem isn't necessarily over weight people eating too much, it's that they're not exercising. There would be some days I would only take 60 steps? And eating the wrong type of foods. During the last year because of the flat I was in I was eating stuff like snacks for dinner and pot noodles, shop brought sandwiches etc, take aways. If you go from that to cooking all your meals from scratch then there's a huge change in how many calories you consume.
    You don't come on here and keep your exact eating pattern. You change and adapt it it's the whole point of this app
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    edena001 wrote: »
    @edena001 don't take it personal - there are a lot of folks that say this and it does seem strange that over weight folks trying to loose weight can't eat 1200 calories otherwise how did they become overweight.

I totally changed the way I was eating when I first started and I was eating a ton of protein bars that gave me a heavy feeling in my stomach. Since I stopped eating those I've returned to having no problem eating 1250 calories.

The problem isn't necessarily over weight people eating too much, it's that they're not exercising. There would be some days I would only take 60 steps? And eating the wrong type of foods. During the last year because of the flat I was in I was eating stuff like snacks for dinner and pot noodles, shop brought sandwiches etc, take aways. If you go from that to cooking all your meals from scratch then there's a huge change in how many calories you consume.
    You don't come on here and keep your exact eating pattern. You change and adapt it it's the whole point of this app

I eat all of the same food I ate before, I just fit it into my calorie goal, so no, not everyone changes everything. Completely changing would not have been sustainable for me.

I also have returned to eating same foods I ate before with the exception of making them a little smaller portion or making a lower calorie version.

protein bars are in my purse for emergency snack but its pretty flat since I haven't needed it in several months:)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    When we're talking about measuring food for logging purposes, volume doesn't matter if we use scales. Volume absolutely does when it comes to how much is on our plates or that we can eat at one sitting though, and high volume/low calorie foods can leave people feeling full without reaching their targets.

I'm living proof that people have come to this forum because they ate too little. I also got malnourished and folate-deficiency anaemia whilst gaining weight because of the poor choices I made. It happens.

I understand the malnurishment from poor choices but are you saying you became overweight from eating too few calories?
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    When we're talking about measuring food for logging purposes, volume doesn't matter if we use scales. Volume absolutely does when it comes to how much is on our plates or that we can eat at one sitting though, and high volume/low calorie foods can leave people feeling full without reaching their targets.

I'm living proof that people have come to this forum because they ate too little. I also got malnourished and folate-deficiency anaemia whilst gaining weight because of the poor choices I made. It happens.

I understand the malnurishment from poor choices but are you saying you became overweight from eating too few calories?

No, I ate too many calories but very little food. Everything I ate was high calorie/low volume, whereas now I mix that up with high volume/low calorie.

• edena001
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Exercise is actually a hard way to create your deficit for weight loss. Most people can't lose weight just by exercising more.

I eat what I ate before, mostly, just in smaller amounts. Some people do make drastic changes. I was one of the people who are generally healthy foods, just waaaay too much of them.

If you're doing virtually no exercise, compared to someone who has a higher intensity day you're going to gain more weight than them?
  • edena001
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I eat all of the same food I ate before, I just fit it into my calorie goal, so no, not everyone changes everything. Completely changing would not have been sustainable for me.

I said you change and adapt? You've changed you're eating plan to adapt to your needs? I didn't say it was a drastic change to anyone ? But you're not going to come on here and continue eating takeaways 3 times a week and chocolate bars every day?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

No, I ate too many calories but very little food. Everything I ate was high calorie/low volume, whereas now I mix that up with high volume/low calorie.

Oh OK that makes sense! Malnurishment is not uncommon these days in normal weight and above people
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

Oh OK that makes sense! Malnurishment is not uncommon these days in normal weight and above people

If chocolate was more nutritious I'd have been ok ;-) I didn't actually eat meals often, but I could happily eat chocolate and cheese all day.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    If you're doing virtually no exercise, compared to someone who has a higher intensity day you're going to gain more weight than them?

I can't speak for the person you're responding to, but in general you eat to a calorie goal that's appropriate for your activity level. If someone is very active, they can eat more. If I ate the same amount as an active person then yes, I would gain weight - therefore I eat an amount that suits my sedentary lifestyle and lose the pounds. If I chose to become more active, I could eat more!