Favorite non-pumpkin fall desserts?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't get rhubarb pie. It's like one of the only desserts I'd rather not eat. Maybe tiramisu as well.

I once ate stewed Rhubarb to be polite. I will never eat anything Rhubarb ever again.

I love strawberry rhubarb pie but it's really not a Fall dessert, lol.

Which reminds me, there was no such thing as 'Fall desserts' where I grew up.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Rhubarb can be frozen and works quite nicely in pies, crumbles, buckles, crisps, and sauces for other pies, crisps and ice cream. I have a huge rhubarb patch that is an absolute workhorse from early spring to mid fall (I just picked a big bundle yesterday to make my grandma's rhubarb butter crunch recipe--like a crisp but more flour, less oatmeal) and I make sure to freeze and can some for the winter. I have both red and green (the green was sold as red--liars!!!) and while I would not harvest any more from the less-robust red, the couple of green plants I have are still going gangbusters into late October. <3<3<3

I don't think I have seen anyone mention sugar cream pie. Thus, as a proud Hoosier, I am morally obligated to do so. B) This is such a classic old-school dessert for when there was no fruit. I just started making it within the past few years--it is fantastic with a sprinkling of cinnamon or nutmeg, or I love it with a drizzle of rhubarb sauce or some lemon curd. It seems to be a more obscure pie, so if you are trying to find a thanksgiving niche, or want to bring something different, it is a good contender.

Here are a couple of good recipes; I use the Mae Dawson one as my trusty standby, and add the Nick's Kitchen topping:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/mae-dawsons-hoosier-sugar-cream-pie-recipe.html

http://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/recipes/a3382/hoosier-sugar-cream-pie-recipe-clv0510/

It is really a beautiful, simple, classic pie.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    I don't get rhubarb pie. It's like one of the only desserts I'd rather not eat. Maybe tiramisu as well.

I once ate stewed Rhubarb to be polite. I will never eat anything Rhubarb ever again.

lol

Is Shoo Fly pie made with rhubarb? I hate that

Shoo Fly is made with molasses--I agree on the yuck. Rhubarb is a very sour taste. Stewed rhubarb is not a very effective way to showcase the charms of the plant. Strawberry-rhubarb pie or jam is the gateway drug. :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Rhubarb can be frozen and works quite nicely in pies, crumbles, buckles, crisps, and sauces for other pies, crisps and ice cream. I have a huge rhubarb patch that is an absolute workhorse from early spring to mid fall (I just picked a big bundle yesterday to make my grandma's rhubarb butter crunch recipe--like a crisp but more flour, less oatmeal) and I make sure to freeze and can some for the winter. I have both red and green (the green was sold as red--liars!!!) and while I would not harvest any more from the less-robust red, the couple of green plants I have are still going gangbusters into late October. <3<3<3

I don't think I have seen anyone mention sugar cream pie. Thus, as a proud Hoosier, I am morally obligated to do so. B) This is such a classic old-school dessert for when there was no fruit. I just started making it within the past few years--it is fantastic with a sprinkling of cinnamon or nutmeg, or I love it with a drizzle of rhubarb sauce or some lemon curd. It seems to be a more obscure pie, so if you are trying to find a thanksgiving niche, or want to bring something different, it is a good contender.

Here are a couple of good recipes; I use the Mae Dawson one as my trusty standby, and add the Nick's Kitchen topping:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/mae-dawsons-hoosier-sugar-cream-pie-recipe.html

http://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/recipes/a3382/hoosier-sugar-cream-pie-recipe-clv0510/

It is really a beautiful, simple, classic pie.

Ok I've never heard of those. Are they a bit like a custard pie? They remind me of French flan tarts but less solid.

(image for comparison. I love that stuff)

IMG_6714-2.jpg
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    @Francl27 they are indeed very similar to a custard pie, but instead of eggs as the binder, it relies on flour and butter as the binder. And in my experience, it's not as temperamental as a custard, you don't have to scald the milk, etc.

I did a little more looking and found a Saveur article that refers to it as a custard pie, despite the fact that eggs really aren't traditional. It is also in the class of "desperation pies," although if anyone is blessed enough to have a cream-producing cow and a full bin of sugar, they can't be THAT desperate, can they?

http://www.saveur.com/sugar-cream-pie

The article notes a "Hoosier Pie Trail", but I checked it out, and it is not to be entirely trusted, as there is no mention of Nick's Kitchen in Huntington or the St. James Inn in Avilla, both of which are historically significant restaurants (the former allegedly invented the pork tenderloin, the latter is the oldest restaurant in N. Indiana) with an awesome sugar cream pie. Also, the Saveur recipe does not call for the pats of butter on the top, which in my experience with other pies, is important for setting the filling. Plus...butter, y'all!

p1v8b9271wq6.jpg
  • Francl27
    Options
    @Francl27 they are indeed very similar to a custard pie, but instead of eggs as the binder, it relies on flour and butter as the binder. And in my experience, it's not as temperamental as a custard, you don't have to scald the milk, etc.

I did a little more looking and found a Saveur article that refers to it as a custard pie, despite the fact that eggs really aren't traditional. It is also in the class of "desperation pies," although if anyone is blessed enough to have a cream-producing cow and a full bin of sugar, they can't be THAT desperate, can they?

http://www.saveur.com/sugar-cream-pie

The article notes a "Hoosier Pie Trail", but I checked it out, and it is not to be entirely trusted, as there is no mention of Nick's Kitchen in Huntington or the St. James Inn in Avilla, both of which are historically significant restaurants (the former allegedly invented the pork tenderloin, the latter is the oldest restaurant in N. Indiana) with an awesome sugar cream pie. Also, the Saveur recipe does not call for the pats of butter on the top, which in my experience with other pies, is important for setting the filling. Plus...butter, y'all!

p1v8b9271wq6.jpg

It sure looks tasty!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Ah, sugar pie! Tarte au sucre is very popular here.

Also, maple pie.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I have never tried rhubarb pie but have heard rhubarb is quite tart which sounds really good to me.

Rhubarb *is* pretty tart and even sour all on its own. I compensate for this by adding sugar, or even better, raspberries. Raspberry rhubarb pie is amazing.

Strawberry rhubarb crumble

I've tried this so many times in my life and I just get behind it. My Dad loves rhubarb and he'd make that all the time. Well, a pie, not a crumble. I can't get past the rhubarb texture. It's like hot celery. *blergh*

That aside, there are SO many new ideas here. I can't wait to start baking and stuff. Thanks, all!
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I have never tried rhubarb pie but have heard rhubarb is quite tart which sounds really good to me.

Rhubarb *is* pretty tart and even sour all on its own. I compensate for this by adding sugar, or even better, raspberries. Raspberry rhubarb pie is amazing.

Strawberry rhubarb crumble

I've tried this so many times in my life and I just get behind it. My Dad loves rhubarb and he'd make that all the time. Well, a pie, not a crumble. I can't get past the rhubarb texture. It's like hot celery. *blergh*

That aside, there are SO many new ideas here. I can't wait to start baking and stuff. Thanks, all!

When I do a rhubarb crisp or butter crunch, I chop it into a 1/4 inch dice or so--that makes it more like an interesting jam than chunks of sour celery!
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Ah, sugar pie! Tarte au sucre is very popular here.

Also, maple pie.

I was looking at some of the other "desperation pies"...there is also vinegar pie, honey pie, buttermilk pie, and a wide assortment of chess pies. I have a lemon chess pie from my grandmother that is spectacular. I believe chess pies are more common in the South.

Regardless, after thinking about pies, I am now starting to get very hungry, and not for this big pile of kale sitting on my plate, staring at me!
  • PokerChris
    PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have made this many times. Very moist and tasty, and less than 300 calories per serving. http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/cinnamon-apple-cake
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    blondies, homemade caramels, dutch apple pie, caramel apple pecan cake
  • Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I second pecan pie, although my waist definitely doesn't agree with it.

My favorite thing ever is this though

http://lovefoodies.com/apple-frangipane.html

Arguably better with pears. You can use puff pastry instead for the dough too. So tasty.

Those apple crisp bars look delicious!

I actually made that tart this week end, with pears. I HIGHLY recommend it.
    PokerChris wrote: »
    I have made this many times. Very moist and tasty, and less than 300 calories per serving. http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/cinnamon-apple-cake

I'll have to try that one. Been looking for a good apple cake recipe.