Anyone do intermittent fasting?

Options
Share your stories & thoughts.

Replies

• sdhomemaker
    sdhomemaker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've added the theory of the 5:2 diet to my plan. Read the book and watched the program. Because I begin with dinner it significantly lowers the calorie count for 2 days and I get a warning that I'm not consuming enough calories.

I have a goal of 8 cups water/green tea a day and take supplements as prescribed by my doctor. I also go for nutritious foods. So the 500 calories I do get in the 24 hours are good ones.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I also go for nutritious foods. So the 500 calories I do get in the 24 hours are good ones.

Please tell me what is the difference between a good and a bad calorie?!

I use IF as I find it fits my schedule well.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do 24-hour, zero calorie fasts. 6:1 in maintenance or 5:2 when cutting. Been doing IF for the past two years, and am very happy with it. Wouldn't go back to another form of calorie restriction.

Check out the specific groups on here if you want, they're pretty chatty.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I also go for nutritious foods. So the 500 calories I do get in the 24 hours are good ones.

Bad calories wind up stealing from the orphanage.

I do 5:2 as well. I do stick to small meals of veggies and egg on the :2, but that's more to keep me from getting hungry.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

Bad calories wind up stealing from the orphanage.

I do 5:2 as well. I do stick to small meals of veggies and egg on the :2, but that's more to keep me from getting hungry.

I need to start avoiding them in that case.
  • krissyjlarson
    krissyjlarson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I restarted 5:2 IF last week -- I did it a couple years ago and it worked well for me. However, I target 600 calories instead of 500 on my :2 days. I feel better at 600 calories and still lose weight.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I restarted 5:2 IF last week -- I did it a couple years ago and it worked well for me. However, I target 600 calories instead of 500 on my :2 days. I feel better at 600 calories and still lose weight.
    Same, the calculator I used to determine my calories gave me 590 calories.

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I did IF briefly and found it really helpful. I ate during a window between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. and found it significantly reduced my appetite. I stopped doing it because I became ill (pneumonia, I'm okay now) but might try it again in the future.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I do it accidentally most days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I lost weight successfully with 5:2.

Tried 16:8 at maintenance but didn't enjoy it.

I don't fast at all now but feel I did learn something from both methods, made me understand my hunger cues better and also realised a lot of my eating was simply habitual.