Just curious...any barefoot runners out there?

Options
After reading the book "Born to Run", I was convinced I should try barefoot running. For the uninformed...no, not literally barefoot although many people do. I have Merrell Trail Glove shoes which are a minimalist shoe. WIthin 2 weeks, foot and knee pains were gone! I ran the annual 5th 3rd Riverbank Run 25k in May. Finished in under 2 hours with absolutely no soreness! First weekend in June, I ran my first 1/2 marathon trail run. After doing that, I'm not sure I'll ever run another road race. Trails are soooo much more fun! I finally found a trail running club in Grand Rapids so I can get off the asphalt!

My son just switched to barefoot shoes too...getting ready for his senior year cross country season. I'm thinking the barefoot running is going to help him finally break 18:30 and earn his varsity letter.

Any other barefoot runner success stories?

Replies

• DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I switched to 5 toe shoes in May this year. I suffered from shin splints and was ready to give up running. I haven't had any issues with my shins only problem I have is once in awhile during a run I step on a rock (doesn't feel too good). I'm training in them now for the Goofy Challenge January 2012! I can run in the rain too and they dry quick compared to my old Brooks.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    your son running hills? and did he tweak his diet? I'm sure he is doing these things. I know of several people barefoot running. not too many though. never ran trails.
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep! I've had my VFF for three months now. Knees and shins no longer have pain.
  • venwright
    venwright Posts: 3
    Options
    I was encouraged by the barefoot running phenomenon also, but after a couple of days of running barefoot I decided to go with the Nike Free. To sum the story up, 8 months later my running motion has changed and I don't have the knee and hip pain that I experienced when running in shoes with a cushioned heel, which encouraged me to bring down my heel first.

I have noticed that I have arch pain sometimes because I come down on the padded portion of the foot right behind the toes, but I'm still able to keep going.
  • gcook1
    gcook1 Posts: 15
    Options
    I switched to 5 toe shoes in May this year. I suffered from shin splints and was ready to give up running. I haven't had any issues with my shins only problem I have is once in awhile during a run I step on a rock (doesn't feel too good). I'm training in them now for the Goofy Challenge January 2012! I can run in the rain too and they dry quick compared to my old Brooks.

My first marathon was the Disney Marathon in 2000. What a fantastic race! I'm itching to run it again because it was so much fun, so well organized and such an easy course (if you can ever call 26.2 miles "easy"). When your biggest hill is the highway overpass...that's a flat course!
  • RunningOutOfMyMind
    Options
    I started running in a New Balance Pulse. Every night I would come home and cry, and ice my shins. I would gimp around the next day for hours before I could walk without cringing. I was determined to not stop. I'm stubborn.

I finally broke down and bought Asics Kayano 16. I grumbled. Im such a cheapskate. I run with ZERO pain. Then, I get the bright idea to run on my treadmill barefoot. Everyone does it, right? It's no big deal. Easy peasy. I did 3 easy miles, a good minute under my normal per mile time. Everything felt super great.

The next day, and for about a week after I had the most tight, sore Achilles tendons and ankles...even slight up into my calf muscles.

So...I would love to run barefoot or even with a minimalist shoe...but is this soreness normal? Did I do too much, too soon? Any advice? I also over-pronate slightly. I don't use orthotics for it though.
  • yukiokudasai
    Options
    typically running barefoot you should slowly increase what you do otherwise you will be very sore. you have to train your feet to be barefoot so I would recommend walking and then up to running. It is also a great idea to stretch before and after you run and then right before bed until you get use to it.
    Hope this helps.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I bought some Merrell Pace Gloves and have been using them for my runs most of the time. I'm still occasionally using my old sneakers because my calf muscles are still getting used to the barefoot running, so sometimes I give them a break. I love putting on my barefoot shoes and hitting the trail though -- hiking in them makes me feel like a billy goat! :smile:
  • greej
    greej Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a barefoot ... walker, for about three years (not in the winter) in VFF. Mostly I got into them because I hate shoes, but they're fantastic. As a normally klutzy person, I definitely noticed an improvement in my balance.

That said, RunningOutOfMyMind, the first time I walked for three hours in the shoes, about one week after I got them, I came home with the sensation that if I were to sit down my legs would break. Um. Sore, yes. It is really best to ease into the shoes.
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting..I think I am going to try running barefoot on my treadmill tomorrow! Wish me luck!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Kiawah is another dead-flat marathon (also has a half). It's tough to get into because the field is so small, but it's a very fast course!
  • gcook1
    gcook1 Posts: 15
    Options
    I finally broke down and bought Asics Kayano 16. I grumbled. Im such a cheapskate. I run with ZERO pain. Then, I get the bright idea to run on my treadmill barefoot. Everyone does it, right? It's no big deal. Easy peasy. I did 3 easy miles, a good minute under my normal per mile time. Everything felt super great.

The next day, and for about a week after I had the most tight, sore Achilles tendons and ankles...even slight up into my calf muscles.

So...I would love to run barefoot or even with a minimalist shoe...but is this soreness normal? Did I do too much, too soon? Any advice? I also over-pronate slightly. I don't use orthotics for it though.

Sounds like you did way too much way too soon. Barefoot running or minimalist shoe running forces you to run more on the balls/toes of your feet. That's much different than the usual heel-toe running that typical running shoes encourage. So you're using muscles that aren't used to being used. My calves absolutely KILLED for at least 3 weeks when I started running in my Merrells. I spent the first two weeks walking in the shoes then increased to running.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options

My first marathon was the Disney Marathon in 2000. What a fantastic race! I'm itching to run it again because it was so much fun, so well organized and such an easy course (if you can ever call 26.2 miles "easy"). When your biggest hill is the highway overpass...that's a flat course!

We still laugh about how hard th highway overpass ramps were. WDW races were amazing! We're also running the Wine & Dine 1/2 in October. Time passes quick thanks to the entertainment and characters on the route. LOVE DISNEY! Even got a tat to celebrate the journey!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Another happy VFF runner here. I didn't switch because of pain or problems, it just made sense to me.
    I still run some of my long runs in regular shoes, but pretty much anything under 10 is in VFF's.