Strength Training for Very Overweight People

Options
Okay, bear with me please. I'll proof-read for clarity and probably still ramble a bit...

I'm 6ft tall and very overweight so I'm trying to lose weight. But I'm not trying to be skinny. That's not a goal of mine at all. I'd rather look like a comic book character than a model, if that helps. With my body type, I looked too thin at 185 so I'm actually shooting for 190-200lbs.

I've always been muscular thanks to genetics, but with great depression comes great weight gain. Now there's all this fat. Cardio bores me, but I'm doing the Zombies Run5k thing again. But my understanding is that lifting weights will help but I'm terrified of gaining weight at first. I seriously do not need to gain any more weight. That's not just vanity, that's physics. I have a bad knee and I don't want to make it worse.

SO, are there any people out there who started out big, not just skinny-fat, and used weight lifting to lose weight? Most of my friends are dudes and they lift to bulk up. The boyfriend is the same way so none of them are any help. Or should I just not even be thinking about weights?

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Lifting will not cause you to be bulky or to put on weight if you are eating at a caloric deficit. People who "bulk" are eating a surplus of calories with the intention of getting bigger.

Some people do experience some mild water retention in the beginning as their muscles adapt and repair themselves, but this is not fat or bulk. It will resolve itself.

Happy lifting!

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have always been the big/bulky friend. Weight lifting helped me look smaller despite being at a higher weight than many other women. I'm 5'9" with wide shoulders, wide ribs, and naturally thicker butt/legs. Lifting has helped add great curves and balance it all out. It made a huge difference as I was losing weight and it helped my knee problems.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight with lifting and calorie deficit. Do have your bad knee checked to make sure squats and deadlifts are ok. Start light, learn proper form, follow a progressive full body program (like stronglifts 5x5). Of course there are many others, that's just the one I'm most familiar with.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    as far as that 'reaction' thing where you retain a little water until your system gets used to what you're doing and ditches it again: i lift 'heavy' (for me) and at 5'3" and 135-145 pounds, i don't think that's ever been more than three or maximum four pounds when i surprise my body. and it goes away again after a week at the most. so if you think your knee can manage an equivalent amount for a week or two, you should be okay.

as far as actual muscle growth: that comes slowly for women. should come slowly for you too, even with your (lucky) genetic predisposition towards strength. don't quote me on this, but i think if you google you'll find that reputable consensus puts the number pretty low - as in, for a woman to gain even a pound of muscle a month might be unusual. so if you think your knee can adapt in time to handle that kind of gain - or if you think you're going to lose that much anyway in fat - then you should be okay.

understand i'm not a trainer or a pro at any of this, btw.
  • avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm probably overthinking everything. I have an open invitation to lift weights with someone instead of going it alone with pilates, but like I said -- was scared of getting bigger. I kept hearing about gaining before losing and I'm like, "No! Please Nooooo!"

@usmcmp You sound like you're built like my family so that's comforting.

@DancingMoosie I'm safer with plie squats than the regular ones so you're definitely right. I don't wanna do them with weights and make matters worse. Deadlifts feel fine though--probably because it's not a super deep squat.

Anyway, thanks again!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
  • avygyaru
    Options

LOL I know lifting works for people who are skinny-fat but I've been worried as an obese person. There's different things to worry about when picking up 100 pounds when you're already 100 pounds overweight. That thread is awesome though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lifting is great

However if you are seriously overweight I would recommend starting with a decent bodyweight programme to avoid putting excess strain on your joints and moving to weights as you get stronger and perhaps lighter

The key is progressive resistance

You are your own gym, convict conditioning or http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ all pretty decent programmes
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    avygyaru wrote: »
    LOL I know lifting works for people who are skinny-fat but I've been worried as an obese person. There's different things to worry about when picking up 100 pounds when you're already 100 pounds overweight. That thread is awesome though.

there'd be worry for ANYONE picking up 100 pounds if they hadn't given their body enough time to get used to it :D

fwiw, every lifting thing i've ever seen says you should start with the bar anyway. you might add weight quickly until you find a comfortable range for your own current capacity, but you still start with the bar. the people i like as lifting 'sources' insist that the warmup sets start with the bar too, even if you're going to end up adding 300 pounds to it by the time you're warmed up and ready to do your work sets.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

i've got about 50 to lose and started lifting anyway. the scale losses slowed down. but in 3 months i've lost 5 inches from my waist and 3 from my hips, assorted other inches from arms and thighs and neck and chest. plus i feel super tough.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

i've got about 50 to lose and started lifting anyway. the scale losses slowed down. but in 3 months i've lost 5 inches from my waist and 3 from my hips, assorted other inches from arms and thighs and neck and chest. plus i feel super tough.

Yeah. Mostly that^^ :D
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake and maintaining a calorie deficit will be your main driver for weight loss. As long as that is in good order what excercise you choose is up to you.

just keep in mind that exercise can change that equation up or down depending on your level of activity
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Most everyone who started lifting wishes they would have started sooner, from what I've read. I'm taking this to heart because these people tend to have super awesome biceps and back muscles, something that I really, REALLY want.

I am very overweight also (229, 5'6" F) and I'm not super flexible, but I do have a few beginner strength training DVDs I have been using 3x per week. I definitely feel the workout, but not so much that I can't do the exercises again after a rest day in between.

For now, I feel like that's gearing me up for the "real lifting" that I hope to feel ready to do when I hit 200. Time is a challenge, so I'm sticking with what I KNOW I can commit to, which is me, my basement, and my DVD player. I figure any muscle I gain is more muscle than I have now and little by little I'll chip away at my goals.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Yeah. Mostly that^^ :D

My goal is just feel mostly super badass.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP- agree on everything above. But, I would continue with Pilates too if you enjoy it. Super great for stretching and flexibility, which are great tools to accompany strength training. If it wasn't so gosh darn expensive, I'd do it on all my off days.
  • avygyaru
    Options
    UPDATE: While I love lifting weights, I did in fact gain weight. I took my TDEE and subtracted 500. Well the calculator did. Anyway. That was a mistake. The dietician has me on the same calories MFP recommended to begin with. So 1700 vs 2635 -- which I was never able to hit anyway.

My point in posting this is that she made it very clear to me that the TDEE - 500 method is NOT a good idea for obese people in my range (having 100 or more to lose).

The biggest point is that I thought I was cutting but I was bulking because I went from eating 1700 cal/day to around 2100-2400. Even though that's less than what the TDEE rule prescribed, it did not help at all. Sure I'm strong as hell now and my stamina is better, but that's not my only goal.

Please learn from my mistake. See a professional and get a personalized diet plan if you're more than a little overweight. TDEE calculators are not enough for everyone.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: While I love lifting weights, I did in fact gain weight. I took my TDEE and subtracted 500. Well the calculator did. Anyway. That was a mistake. The dietician has me on the same calories MFP recommended to begin with. So 1700 vs 2635 -- which I was never able to hit anyway.

My point in posting this is that she made it very clear to me that the TDEE - 500 method is NOT a good idea for obese people in my range (having 100 or more to lose).

The biggest point is that I thought I was cutting but I was bulking because I went from eating 1700 cal/day to around 2100-2400. Even though that's less than what the TDEE rule prescribed, it did not help at all. Sure I'm strong as hell now and my stamina is better, but that's not my only goal.

Please learn from my mistake. See a professional and get a personalized diet plan if you're more than a little overweight. TDEE calculators are not enough for everyone.

You gained weight because you ate more than your TDEE, there is no other explanation. You started gaining weight so why didn't you reduce your intake when you saw the scales move? I would say that 2100-2400 calories is about right for your stat's so maybe your tracking was not as tight as you hoped.