Butternut Squash

Options
nowine4me
nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
I'm not sure how I missed eating this all my life, but I tried making one for the first time a few days ago, and it's DELICIOUS. I peeled it and cut into cubes, sprinkled with a few chopped pecans, sprayed with EVOO, salt & pepper and baked at 400 for 40 minutes. If you haven't tried it roasted -- give it a whirl. Served it with grilled flank steak and green beans. Easy dinner. TIP: just bake what you will eat, and save the rest to roast another night. Happy Autumn!!

Replies

• minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't bother peeling it...just scrub real well .
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to cut it in cubes, lol. I just roast it cut in two (or put it in the instant pot - done in less than 20 minutes).

I love butternut squash soup though!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I bought a little pack of it already cut because I hate chopping it, and ate it in oatmeal this week and also "fried" up with some kale and sausage and other veggies. A nice non stick pan and a spritz of spray oil to get it started, then add a splash of water and a lid and steam it till softer. Then add all the other stuff and cook it up.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

You eat the skin? Or do you cut it off after cooking?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love it, have been eating lots of it.

I don't peel -- chop it up and scrape it out and roast it, and then cut it off the skin after it is cooked.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love delicata because of the thin skin.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I do peel it but only after it's cooked. The peel comes off so much easier after cooking. It's great cooked outside on the grill too.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I love this stuff, roasted, its so easy to prepare and very inexpensive!
  • MountainMomma58
    MountainMomma58 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I make soup. I pierce it, then microwave it for a couple of minutes so it cuts and peels easier. My soup is not traditional. I like spice rather than sweet. I cube the squash and put it into a pot with low fat chicken broth, some black pepper and minced garlic. I cook it until really tender then use the immersion blender to mix it up. If it's too thick, I add more broth.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I make soup. I pierce it, then microwave it for a couple of minutes so it cuts and peels easier. My soup is not traditional. I like spice rather than sweet. I cube the squash and put it into a pot with low fat chicken broth, some black pepper and minced garlic. I cook it until really tender then use the immersion blender to mix it up. If it's too thick, I add more broth.

I make a similar soup, only the squash is roasted with fresh thyme. The garlic is roasted too.
  • MarkR_2013
    MarkR_2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Butternut and spaghetti squash are my staple vegetarian dishes
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Yeah I don't do it sweet either. I just roast or sautee some onions first then add the squash (pre-roasted or cooked in the IP), chicken broth and pepper (sometimes garlic powder).
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    So good! I make it in the sow cooker and it is the most delicious tender thing ever!
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I love butternut squash! I buy it ready-prepped and roast it. Sometimes I use the roasted squash for soup, sometimes I use it as a side dish. My dog likes it too, and it's cheaper than pumpkin (her other love).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Don't peel. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Roast flesh-side down in a medium oven (350 to 400 degrees F) with a little water in the pan. Roast until tender (poke a fork in it after 30 minutes or so; keep poking every 10 minutes until fork goes in easily). Turn over (flesh side up).* Top with butter, brown sugar or maple syrup, cinnamon if you like, other "pumpkin" spices if you like. Pop back in the oven until the sugar or syrup starts to caramelize a bit. Scoop out flesh with spoon (easier than peeling), or serve still in skin and let each person scoop the flesh out of their own portion.

*If you want a more savory vegetable, pull out of the oven, scoop flesh out, and season to taste (e.g., salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, preferred spices and herbs; lime juice and smoked ground chipotle is a nice combo).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    So good! I make it in the sow cooker and it is the most delicious tender thing ever!

Oh! Given your avatar photo, this is ... sort of cannibalistic, isn't it? :smiley:
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Oh! Given your avatar photo, this is ... sort of cannibalistic, isn't it? :smiley:

Hahahaha delightful typo! :)
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I missed eating this all my life, but I tried making one for the first time a few days ago, and it's DELICIOUS. I peeled it and cut into cubes, sprinkled with a few chopped pecans, sprayed with EVOO, salt & pepper and baked at 400 for 40 minutes. If you haven't tried it roasted -- give it a whirl. Served it with grilled flank steak and green beans. Easy dinner. TIP: just bake what you will eat, and save the rest to roast another night. Happy Autumn!!

I discovered these last fall, and literally ate them everyday for about 6 months. Now, they are back in season, I eat them everyday again. I absolutely love them. I roast them with rutabaga, chayote squash, and broccolini. So wonderful. I look forward to dinner every night. I eat about 1200 grams of veggies with dinner and I look 5 months pregnant after. ;)

Since they are hard to cut, I have Whole Foods cut up 5 or 6 containers for me every Saturday. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it to me.