What does your 1200 cal day look like?

Options
What are you eating to fill 1200, 1300 or 1400 cal per day? Are you able to spread this out over the day and feel satisfied? Are you doing some kind of fasting? To me this number is a nice dinner/lunch- would love to see what your typical meal looks like.

Replies

• JGilchrist23
    JGilchrist23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat 1300 a day and Mon to Fri I eat within this goal easily. At the weekends I def find it harder, esp if I want a drink or two but I try to get the gym throughout the week and I don't eat back any of my exercise calories and this gives me enough leeway to see a .5kg loss each Mon. It took me a while to understand when I am most hungry and once I settled into eating my meals when I am most hungry, that has stopped me snacking altogether - but there was some trial and error involved. For me a typical day looks like this:

Breakfast - low fat yogurt and fruit (130 cals) or 2 scrambled eggs (180-200 cals)
    Lunch - dinner leftovers - could be veggies stirfried with chickpeas (190 cals) and a small fillet of salmon (300 cals) or chicken fajitas (300 cals for the chicken/veg) with 2 tortillas (226 cals) or coucous and tuna salad (approx 480 cals depending on what I throw in)

Dinner will depend really on what calories I have left but I always try to keep back at least 550 cals for dinner. Dinner could be fish finger wraps, pasta with veggies and tomato sauce, chicken casseroles, tuna salad, individual serving pizzas, etc. You learn fast the things that really pile on the calories but aren't so worth it. For me, removing the cheese and sour cream from chicken fajitas made them a good calorie option and they are still really tasty. A year ago, you would have had to pry the block of cheddar from my cold, dead fingers!

I weigh everything on a kitchen scale and then portion it out so I know exactly what I am eating. Planning is key for me!

For comparison, I am a 5ft 4" female, 38yrs old with a desk job so sedentary activity level.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Breakfast: wholegrain cereal, full fat milk, unsweetened herbal tea.

Lunch: varies a bit, but maybe a small sandwich with peanut butter or cheese, or a small omelette or some smoked fish with potato salad (vinaigrette rather than mayo); some salad veg (I don't generally dress this, might put a squiggle of mayo on it), fruit, and a small treat like a chocolate biscuit or a fairy cake. All these portions are small but don't seem like it as my little lunch cube is packed with colourful things in several courses. I drink water through the day.

Afternoon snack might be some fruit and a biscuit, or oatcake if I'm especially hungry.

I try to have at least 600cal left for dinner so will eat the same as the family (something home cooked, fairly ordinary) in a smallish portion. Bear in mind this is 1200 NET so I will have maybe a hundred, hundred and fifty calories from walking (I walk a lot). I might have dessert in the shape of some stewed fruit and yoghurt (this is a lot nicer than it sounds, just now we're working our way through a bowl of stewed apples made pink with brambles, really lovely with yoghurt.

This is only on weekdays, on weekends I have a modest blowout to bring it up to 1500 net average.

ETA the breakdown is usually about 250-300 for breakfast, 350-400 for lunch, 50-100 for snack and about 600 for dinner, depending on how much exercise I get (between 50 and 200cal)
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I stick with 1200 calories most days. I try to add a lot of veggies to my meals to help me stay full.

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled without added fat, with lots of chopped tomatoes, scallions, red onion, and chilis, with 2 slices of Sara Lee reduced calorie bread.

Snack: Apple

Lunch: some sort of lean protein, such as chicken or ham with a ton of steamed vegetables (baby carrots, snow peas, cauliflower, turnips, rutabaga...) and a non-fat Greek yoghurt.

Snack: Apple

Dinner: some sort of protein again, like chicken, flank steak, or salmon, with tons more steamed vegetables, and a bowl of salad (lettuce, cucumber, bell peppers) with 2 tbsp reduced-fat dressing.

Dessert: Weight Watchers ice cream bar (I love the chocolate covered salted caramel one, 80 calories)

If I've got room left over in my calorie allowance, I add more fruit (apples, grapes, bananas) and yoghurt. Or the 60 calorie Jello brand chocolate pudding!
  • jshirtcliffe
    jshirtcliffe Posts: 28 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My official target is 1900, but I usually hit 1400.

Split roughly into:

200-250 breakfast eg. Cereals or toast with tea. or fruit and natural yogurt with coffee

300 lunch eg. omelette with 1 yolk, 2 whites, ham, tomato, cheese (go easy on that cheese) with a big green salad (ah salad, good way to fill up with hardly any calories) or sandwhich on brown bread, filling such as salmon, ham, beef with cucumber.

600 dinner. Obviously varying day to day, often with vegetables, rice or pasta. I find dinner the hardest to calculate accurately as homemade recipes and portion sizes can be different every day.

250-300 snacks (between lunch and dinner/ between dinner and bed) eg. crackers, fruit, or chocolate/ biscuits as a treat. (bumped up an extra 100 calories if I've earned it through exercise)

^ during the week, at weekends I tend not to log (for the sake of my sanity) but just keep half an eye on it and not be a TOTAL pig.

I think it's easy to regulate your main meals, the battle is with snacking! I think designating a distinct and filling snack (like a mini meal unto itself) halfway between meals is useful to avoid grazing.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I do something like 16:8 IF normally (it's more of a 'when I'm actually hungry' thing and not a really strict fasting window), and sometimes eat at 1200. I've never really been hungry in the mornings, and I like larger meals w/o much snacking. This keeps me really satisfied as long as I'm thoughtful about meals and get a decent amount of fat and fiber.

Today -
    1 cup Skinny Taste chicken taco chili + 1 cup jasmine rice
    shredded cheddar
    apple

Baked potato, butter & sour cream
    Green beans
    Crunchy baked fish and cocktail sauce

1219 calories

I'll probably have tea with 2 tsp. of sugar and a piece of dark chocolate (80 calories) before I leave work, since I'm going to the gym. I'm a fan of pre-exercise caffeine.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Today 1237 calories:
    113 g 4% cottage cheese, 63g blueberries... 146 calories
    Chicken curry... 416 calories
    Chicken quesadilla... 466 calories
    Parfait... 193 calories

Typically:
    Breakfast- thing like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch- things like sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1 tub of Ben & Jerries.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1250 here.

Boiled egg on crispbread cracker in the AM, vegetable soup and a lean protein at lunch with crispbread crackers and laughing cow wedge. Afternoon snack of a fresh fruit or veggie or both and a small protein like feta. Dinner is a protein, a fat, a carb like potatoes or rice, and two servings of veggies. If I have any calories to spare, I will have toast and jam for dessert or some fresh fruit or popcorn.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast (other than a cup of tea)

Lunch is around 300 calories, usually a small serving of leftovers from last night's dinner.

The rest of the calories are spent on dinner. Usually some form of lean meat or fish and vegetables. Maybe a small side of high fiber grains. Or maybe a meatless meal of bean soup with salad or a small sandwich. Maybe an omelet or frittata. Almost always with a glass of wine.

Depending on how caloric the meal was, I may have a few sweetened nuts as dessert.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Here's what mine usually looks like:

100-200 calories for breakfast, usually an apple or banana, sometimes with peanut butter. I may have a protein bar or shake instead. Usually I have black tea in the morning as well. After noon, I drink only water--no caffeine.

300-400 calories for lunch, usually dinner leftovers.

600-700 calories for dinner, which is typically a vegetarian protein, some grain or carb, and at least one green vegetable.

100-200 calories for various snacks, usually of the salty or sweet variety. A square of dark chocolate (50-70 calories), nuts, another piece of fruit, etc.

If I ran that day, I will probably eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of my exercise calories, depending on how hungry I am.
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Example, not everyday

Breakfast - 250 cal
    - Orowheat brand, extra crisp english muffin 130 cal
    - 2 slices Maple Leaf Natural Selections turkey or chicken 35 cal
    - 1 slice Saputo Monterey Jack cheese 60 cal
    - 1 cup Silk creamy cashew unsweetened, in coffee 25 cal

I sometimes have a banana between breakfast and lunch - 90 cal

Lunch - 292 cal
    - 15 grams Kraft Feta crumbles 45 cal
    - 0.5 cup chopped cucumber, 0.5 cup chopped red pepper, 0.5 cup chopped tomato 40 cal
    - 0.5 can Pole and Line Tuna, drained (85 gram) 77 cal
    - 2 slices weight watchers brown bread 100 cal
    - 2 tbsp fat free miracle whip 30 cal

Snack - 1 apple 80 cal

Dinner/Snack - 488 left
    - Usually snack on baby carrots 3 oz 35 cal, while making dinner or driving home
    - Veggie chicken burger patty, Yves 110 cal. I am not vegetarian but these are convenient
    - Cooked or raw veg, cucumber, lettuce salad
    - Water steamed broccoli or cauliflower, usually with 1 cheese string pulled apart and melted on top 60 cal
    - Homemade hummous 60 gram, 90 cal
    - Maybe put all these into a pita or half pita, Pita Bread Factory brand 130 cal for 1 whole pita

I find this to be enough food all day, but I am not stuffed silly, nor am I going to bed hungry. I also do not exercise. If I do, it's only walking 1-3 km, and I will eat back 30-50% of the calories.

The other key for me is no artificially sweetened anything, including stevia, splenda etc.. Those things really rev up my appetite and make me crave more calories.

HTH!
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    1 tub of Ben & Jerries.

Lol, that sound more like mine ...

• red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    emilk2016 wrote: »
    1 tub of Ben & Jerries.

Lol, that sound more like mine ...

Yea I read that the other day .. supposed to be 4 servings in that pint lol

Good luck
  • lizzmongoose
    lizzmongoose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1200 calories 6 days a week and allow myself to relax my diet one day (my version of a cheat day) generally end up around 1500-1700 on that day but it varies.

*Note I do stick to a pescatarian diet

Brrakfast: generally about 200 -230 calories will be an English muffin egg white sandwich with a little cheese and spinach

Snack: apple (80 calories)

Lunch: I prep my lunches at the top of the week this week I have veggie chili (120 calories) I pair this with noodles, or a potato (100-150 calories)

Dinner: varies based on what I have left calorie wise. A few frequent meals are.
    Zuchiini noodles with sauce,veggie meatballs with garlic toast.
    Veggie hot dogs with baked potato wedges and broccoli
    Veggie stuffed peppers

Snack: carrots and hummus (80 calories)

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see how many people have a very similar pattern to my own, with a small breakfast, slightly bigger lunch, and nearly half the calories spent on dinner.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    When I eat breakfast (I don't always)

Bagel Thin or Killer Dave's 60 cal bread 2 scrambled eggs/cheese/vegan butter
    or oatmeal with vegan butter and salt (only way to eat it:)).

Lunch
    Taco Salad - Lettuce, black beans, avocado, tomato, onions sometimes cheese
    or
    Boca Burger/chicken laughing cow swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, sauerkraut

Dinner
    Pizza - Flatout pizza crust, cheese, onions, bolthouse classic ranch, small salad
    or
    Taco's - low carb flour tortillas, either black or vegetarian refried beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado and of course TAPATIO!

Snacks if I have them are usually
    cottage cheese with sprinkled sugar free jello (strawberry or raspberry)
    yogurt

These are pretty much staples in my diet. All around 300 or 400 calories. When not eating breakfast I have bigger portions for lunch and dinner.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    OP if you struggle to eat 1200 calories how did you get into a situation where you need to lose weight?

If you are finding it difficult to eat that much it is because you are making it difficult to eat that much based on what you are choosing to eat. So choose something else.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Many folks stop drinking 1000 calories of Soda, sweet tea excetra and increase protein like I did. At first I was eating 2 protein bars a day the second one of the day around 3pm with a ton of water made my stomach feel like a ballon expanded and I could not eat dinner. I went overboard trying to eat things that would make me feel full. Total change from my normal got me fat eating. I've since learned so much and have no problems now.

Feeling full on way less calories if you change eating habits can happen. It doesn't usually last long though! And trust me some folks are completely shocked as I was because it didn't make sense to me either that I was full and still needed to fit in 300 more.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    OP if you struggle to eat 1200 calories how did you get into a situation where you need to lose weight?

If you are finding it difficult to eat that much it is because you are making it difficult to eat that much based on what you are choosing to eat. So choose something else.

Oh I can easily manage 1200 cal for dinner alone! Just looking at restaurant calories (even for a salad it's super high).. that's how I got into this situation! I think I'm at 1600-1750 maintenance so clearly need a new approach. Thanks for sharing everyone!

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

I read the OP as saying that he/she would have that much for one meal, not that they can't reach it.