What are the most annoying things about being overweight?

Options
For me, they are:
- Getting out of breath while climbing stairs.
- Not being able to walk and hold a conversation at the same time. It's so embarrassing.
- Struggling to bend over, shave my legs, cut my toenails, put socks/shoes on, etc.
- My double chin.
- Looking huge in photos.
- Being essentially ignored by people of the opposite sex. I haven't received male attention in over five years.
- Feeling like I'll have to settle for someone who I'm not attracted to when looking for a husband, because I don't feel attractive myself.
- Having to buy plus-size clothes.
- Constantly adjusting my clothes to make sure they're not clinging to my belly or any other embarrassing area.
- Having to hold a cushion in my lap while sitting so that people don't see my belly sticking out.
- Not fitting comfortably into chairs with arms.
- Those university chairs with attached flip-desks. I can never get the desk down the whole way, as my belly is always in the way.
- Having to wear super-loose clothing all the time, because I'm way too ashamed of my body to wear anything even remotely fitting.
- Having a wardrobe full of black clothes, and a tonne of clothes that haven't fit me in years.
- Being the largest person out of my both my family and my group of friends. I don't have one friend or family member who is as big as I am.
- Being jealous of my petite female friends. I hate the feeling so much.

Replies

• snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    some of my weight has come off but I see pictures of myself and I am 17 lbs heavier than when I got married 11 years ago. Also, having people who are really thin, 30 years younger than I am, talk about overweight and "older" people in front of me.
  • vigilynn
    vigilynn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I noticed how uncomfy it feels to be overweight. I had 30lb to loose, have lost 15lb and noticed my bra is so much more comfy with out that horrible fat around my middle.
    Never give up. I will never be fat again, and this site and my fitbit are helping so much. Keep going!
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    -Having my belly get in the way when I paint my toenails.
    -My dbl chin in pictures, or just looking big overall in pictures.
    -Having to wear baggy clothes to hide my rolls.
    -Wearing a swimsuit.
    -Having a lot of clothes that I can no longer fit into.
  • Sdolan93
    Sdolan93 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    (Sorry if some of these are not G rated)

-Not being able to keep up with the kiddos
    -Having a hard time getting pregnant and being at an increased risk for miscarriage
    -Not wanting to look for a partner or being afraid to talk to the opposite sex afraid of being *kitten* down
    -being to heavy to ride a horse so i tell people I'm afraid of them :/
    -making up excuses not to go swimming because I dont like the way i look in a swimsuit or in wet clothes
    -not liking the way my arm flab shows in female shirts
    -feeling uncomfortable eating in front of others regardless of if its healthy or not... thinking people think i probably eat nonstop because of my weight
    -still wearing maternity clothes after i lost my baby and still fitting in them (3 years later)
    -hate the way my body looks so wont have sex with the lights on
    -haven't actually started woking out at the gym yet because im worried about the stares (been paying for the gym since may)
    -people treat you different and talk to you different than other skinnier people without even getting to know you
    -hate clothes shopping (not because of the money but because of the fact that cute clothes doesnt rather come in my size or it doesnt fit the same)
    -liking someone and not being able to tell them because you dont wanna lose them as a friend but if you weren't classified obese you wouldnt be afraid to tell them :/
    -not being able to run and not have to hold up your pants
    -avoiding mirrors
    -feeling like your relationships fail becuse the other person doesnt see you as a person just your weight
    -not being able to play sports but want to
  • Game_Changer94
    Game_Changer94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So many of the annoyances listed are similar to mine.

I'm in my early twenties and got overweight (to now being about 80lbs my ideal/original weight) when I turned a teenager so haven't had any time in my adult lift this far knowing any different. My list includes:

- Hate not being able to keep up with people my own age or seeing much older people out-doing me in physical activities! I know it's not a competition but I feel super embarrassed that I can't atleast match others and am either way slower or so out of breath quickly I need to stop.
    - Never feeling like I look good in clothes so I stick to buying and wearing the most hideous baggy clothes possible to stay well covered.
    - As already mentioned, I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror ; especially full length ones.
    - Knowing I've done this to myself and feeling pure resent.
    - No confidence.
    - Not sure if this is a weird one, but needing to walk past people in a quiet environment and worrying that people will watch me and just see that I'm fat.
    - Being ill all the time. I now have digestive issues which I don't think are helped by being overweight.
    - Not being able to or wanting to speak to new people.
    - Not wanting to go out and do anything athletic with friends/family though fear they'll judge me for 'wobbling' or getting out of breath.
    - Someone else mentioned bras - I just stick to wearing sports bras now because I don't know what size my breasts are anymore and I feel like 'what's the point' of wearing anything nice when I hate what's underneath.
    - Stretchmarks!!!! I haven't had any children and because I have terrible ones through being overweight, I'm totally ashamed of them. Which also knocks my confidence in ever wanting to get into a relationship incase the other person finds them repulsive too.

My list could go on and on. Other than when I was little/very young, I don't know what it's like to be a healthy weight or size. I'd like too one day.
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I can relate to some of yours.
    They would be - not been able to hold a conversation and walk... everyone always asks when I'm on the phone and walking if I'm running somewhere :/
    Double chin - hate it! I'm majorly aware of it when taking photos.
    Hating how I look in photos.
    Not been able to buy the clothes I want because I feel I don't have the body for it.
    And being jealous of friends - especially when they eat what they want and are so slim!
    Been self conscious in a bikini.

I think we all think similar about being overweight, but because we are all here that means we are all trying!
    Good luck on your journeys everyone.
    I hope you all get to where you want to be :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to sit at a booth in a restaurant as I don't fit in most of them. Always asking for a table and chairs instead.
  • inkedShimewaza
    inkedShimewaza Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    OH GOD! I could go on for pages. Right off the top of my head, the main ones would be ...

1. Not being 'wanted' by my spouse.
    2. Not being 'wanted' by women - period.
    3. Being self-conscious at the pool and beach.
    4. Constantly feel like people are mocking me and judging me based on how I look.
  • MarkR_2013
    MarkR_2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1) I look like a beer barrel with limbs and a head. No seriously, I'm 6'2", have a 52" chest, a 54" belly, and no *kitten*. I looked like an old fashion wooden barrel perched on a saw horse.
    2) Very self conscious whenever I'm out
    3) Finding clothes that fit.
    4) Finding backpacks and messenger bags with straps that are long enough to cover my girth.
    5) Trying to cram my bulk into places built for people 6 inches shorter and 100 lbs lighter.
  • AwkwardSprinkle
    AwkwardSprinkle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chub rub. I can't wear skirts without getting raw thighs.

I KNOW! I wear shorts with everything I wear.

Also:

Never feeling sexy
    Every time I try to work out I get hurt or have to ice my joints
    Feeling like I'm the fattest person in a gym
    Rashes in weird places
    Everything hurts all the time
    Finding out you're too big for a seat
    Being worried you'll break furniture
    Always looking like slob
    Feeling super awkward when your husband and buddies are talking about hot chicks...
    Tried to lose weight before my wedding and I cry when I look at my wedding photos

Just that constant feeling that no one finds you attractive, everyone thinks you're gross and lazy, and hating yourself for letting it get this far.
  • Wine_Drinker
    Wine_Drinker Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Clothes is my biggest annoyance- nothing fits, or if it does its designed for someone at least 40 years older than myself. I'm 1 to 2 sizes too big for most fashionable clothes shops, so I'm limited to supermarkets and 'fat people shops'. I've got 3 posh events coming up with no ball gown to wear!
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Having people point and laugh at me when I run.
    Not being able to fit into branded sportswear designed for women so have to opt for mens trackpants.
    No attention from guys :(

• jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Just that constant feeling that no one finds you attractive, everyone thinks you're gross and lazy, and hating yourself for letting it get this far.

This sums it up for me pretty damn well. But just an FYI, based on what I see in your profile pic, you look beautiful. I'm sure your husband thinks so as well.

SNAP!!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Chub rub. I can't wear skirts without getting raw thighs.

I have this problem even when I'm not overweight, I have always had thunder thighs
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Being uncomfortable (physically and emotionally) - always feeling my jeans were too tight in the waist (then having that permanent line across my belly), failing at feeling sexy as a result of the belly line, feeling like I was enormous when taking a flight to see family and having my pudge touch the stranger next to me, not fitting into that airplane seat or on a roller coaster, not being able to shop in regular stores when friends want to go shopping, having to shop in "big girl" stores only, going to try on bridesmaids dresses with the party but not being able to get a single dress on, getting an XXXL sweater as a gift because they thought XXL wouldn't fit (they were right), booth seats where the table is bolted down and you get zero wiggle room.

There are "fat" aspects about me that will never go away, no matter how much (safe) weight I lose; I've accepted that's just how my body is. I have what I refer to as "sausage" fingers and toes and my thighs will always rub (now I'm careful about it, wear what works for my body, and avoid chafing).