Losing Lbs not inches? What's the deal?

Options
2»

Replies

• nicjag01
    nicjag01 Posts: 1
    Options
    Weight loss typically works as "Last on, First off." It is like rewinding a movie. You probably gained your weight in the areas you "measure" first, which means that is not the first area to come off. That also means you've probably taken 20 lbs of critical weight off (around your vital organs!). If you want to see change in size more quickly add a good strength training routine. Women worry strength training will add inches but in truth is speeds your metabolism, burns more calories and to your goal, tightens you up for a smaller, more defined figure. Don't give up, you are making it happen! :wink:
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    2i6z98k.jpg

food for thought
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I got shin splints a while back, and it's kind of terrified me a little. lol So, I haven't been doing major exercise. I attempted Zumba a couple of times, but that hurt. lol I've mostly been walking. I also do squats and lunges and stuff like that.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    measure yourself and you may notice in certain areas you lost. When I first started i lost in specific areas like my chest and legs; then more eventually came off my waist and hips, neck...etc.
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I got shin splints a while back, and it's kind of terrified me a little. lol So, I haven't been doing major exercise. I attempted Zumba a couple of times, but that hurt. lol I've mostly been walking. I also do squats and lunges and stuff like that.

Shin splints go away! CONGRATS on losing 20 lbs. That is fantastic, keep it up and you've added years to your life and your heart is so happy for you right now :)
    Zumba is NOT easy but good for you to try it out. I'm sure you'll be ready for it real soon.
    Here is a 10 minute cardio kickboxing workout you can do till you get a bit more fit. Just do as much as you can (don't forget to push yourself!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlX_Gy4HP2E&feature=feedwll
    Don't worry about shin splints, they go away, make sure you are stretching!
    Good work girl!
  • trianaw
    trianaw Posts: 177
    Options
    The 20lbs lbs could be all water leaving your body. If you're not drinking enough water your body could be dehydrated and then you wouldn't see any change. Try drinking half of your body weight in water or 1 gallon daily to see if you there are any changes. Also increase your strength training by using weights and eliminate white flour products. You should then see a difference.
  • lmorra
    lmorra Posts: 17
    Options
    I restarted the program this past week... My son started for me a while back... since quitting smoking 7 months ago I gained a good 15 pds. I was getting worried that I would just keep gaining... so now I'm "focused"... I've been walking approx. 30 min. 5 days a week... I know I have a ways to go but this website is encouraging me... since losing my beloved son 1 1/2 years ago I have faced sooo many challenges... I want to stick with this one... What kind of exercise to you do? don't give up whatever you do... I gave up lots of times before but then in the end it was "me" who was unhappy with the way I looked and the way I felt... do it for you... have patience
  • ojell
    Options
    The 20lbs lbs could be all water leaving your body. If you're not drinking enough water your body could be dehydrated and then you wouldn't see any change. Try drinking half of your body weight in water or 1 gallon daily to see if you there are any changes. Also increase your strength training by using weights and eliminate white flour products. You should then see a difference.

I will admit I really struggle with the whole drinking water thing. I am one of those people that is not very thirsty naturally. I could literally drink maybe 3-4 small drinks a day IF THAT. Weird I know. Apparently, I've always been this way. On top of that I don't like water. I wish I did, but it's like taking medicine...pinch your nose and swallow. lol Ok, so I'm exagerating. It's not THAT bad, but it must be ICE ICE ICE cold. So, I try, but I reeeally need to force myself to drink more. Funny thing is I work with 3 women that can put away the water EASY. lol
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    If you are not naturally thirsty then you must not be sweating a lot while you work out....I'm not a water person either but dang gonit i'm drinking it, even with drops of lemon juice and the water flavoring packets....
  • ojell
    Options
    I restarted the program this past week... My son started for me a while back... since quitting smoking 7 months ago I gained a good 15 pds. I was getting worried that I would just keep gaining... so now I'm "focused"... I've been walking approx. 30 min. 5 days a week... I know I have a ways to go but this website is encouraging me... since losing my beloved son 1 1/2 years ago I have faced sooo many challenges... I want to stick with this one... What kind of exercise to you do? don't give up whatever you do... I gave up lots of times before but then in the end it was "me" who was unhappy with the way I looked and the way I felt... do it for you... have patience

I'm sooo sorry for your loss! (((HUGS))))

30 mins of walking a day is a GREAT start!

I definately realize that in order to really lose weight we have to both eat better and MOVE-no matter what it is. So, I've mostly just been trying to eat better (though some weeks are harder than others) and just move...whether it be cleaning, walking, dancing, or outright exercising to something like zumba or something. I did lose about 15 lbs with a month of Insanity. I sort of lost 15, then gained 10, then lost 5, then lost 5 more, then gained 5, lost 5 again, then finally lost 5 more. My goals with the scale are just focused on the 10s. I've been stuck in the 160s for years. When I crept up into the 170s, I knew I needed to do something about it. I'm tickled to be in the 150s, but I'm still nervous being so close to the 160s. I've mostly just been walking and dancing.
  • ojell
    Options
    If you are not naturally thirsty then you must not be sweating a lot while you work out....I'm not a water person either but dang gonit i'm drinking it, even with drops of lemon juice and the water flavoring packets....

Actually, I sweat a lot...lol But mostly my face. My face is the first thing that sweats all the time. It sweats easy like ALL THE TIME. lol Now, the rest of me...uhmmm since I've gained weight, I sweat more. I drink a lot when I'm working out hard. That is the only time I'm really thirsty. I think this is why I swell when it's really hot outside though. I sweat, but my hands and feet swell. I try to drink, but because I'm not thirsty I just don't always remember. lol
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too. I went from size 16W/18 to 12 by losing my first 20lbs, but losing 10 more pounds after that did not put me in size 10 as I had hoped. But very recently, I lost 3 pounds, and my size 12 pants are finally getting too big on me.

Just hang in there! The same thing might happen to you :)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    2i6z98k.jpg

food for thought

Wow person on the left needs to go to the bathroom big time and lost 10lbs there!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    First of all, Measure! It is very possible that you are losing inches and aren't seeing it because where you are losing isn't in the waist or major areas where you see it in clothing. Second of all, Lift Weights! Your shin splints won't matter for weight lifting, but the weight lifting will help you maintain muscle so you aren't losing it instead of fat. If you lose a lot on the scale but not in inches, more then likely you're losing muscle and water stored with glycogen in muscle instead of fat. This is normal with a program that is diet alone or mostly diet with only light exercise. Finally, Relax! Stressing out about weight, when you'll see results, why you aren't losing like Jane Doe is, etc. will raise your cortisol levels which will promote fat storage. Destressing with a massage, yoga, etc. is probably the easiest thing you can do to prevent future fat gain and help with fat loss. HUGS! You can do it! But be patient. :wink:
  • LtAngela
    LtAngela Posts: 35
    Options
    The scale says I'm down nearly 20 lbs. I sort of see a tiny bit of a difference I guess, but nothing major to brag about. My clothes still fit just as tight and uncomfortably as ever! :( I don't understand. :(

Here is RESULT!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/288131-compare-my-photo-before-and-after
  • ojell
    Options
    First of all, Measure! It is very possible that you are losing inches and aren't seeing it because where you are losing isn't in the waist or major areas where you see it in clothing. Second of all, Lift Weights! Your shin splints won't matter for weight lifting, but the weight lifting will help you maintain muscle so you aren't losing it instead of fat. If you lose a lot on the scale but not in inches, more then likely you're losing muscle and water stored with glycogen in muscle instead of fat. This is normal with a program that is diet alone or mostly diet with only light exercise. Finally, Relax! Stressing out about weight, when you'll see results, why you aren't losing like Jane Doe is, etc. will raise your cortisol levels which will promote fat storage. Destressing with a massage, yoga, etc. is probably the easiest thing you can do to prevent future fat gain and help with fat loss. HUGS! You can do it! But be patient. :wink:

Awwweee THANKS! :)
  • ojell
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    bump
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I have knee issues and lower back problems. I get on my bed and do reverse crunches (bring up the knees) and also all floor exercises. I've had shin splints before and had to focus on low impact, like you. It's not at all bad to work yourself up from the exercises I mentioned until you can do the full aerobic exercises, because everyone is different. You know YOUR body better than anyone else! I show my solidarity to fellow "pear-shaped" peeps! LOL! Lets peel our pears! :-)