Couch To 5K - Started June 6th, Join Still Please!

Options

Replies

• drh1111
    drh1111 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just finished W3D2. It was harder than W3D1 for some reason. It concerns me when I am struggling for the less strenuous weeks, and I see some of you are having a hard time with the later weeks. Did you struggle in the earlier weeks as much as you do now? If W3D3 is still difficult, I will probably repeat this week. Good luck everyone!
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Ladies and Gentlemen,
    My left knee is unhappy since 6/20 and it was almost feeling better so I decided to keep going. It was the wrong decision. My knee is still hurting from my walk/run on 7/4. I'm sorry but I must bow out of this C25K. :( I was enjoying this challenge.
    Truly hate being a quitter but it's not worth the pain and not being able to walk!
    I will be cheering everyone else on and hope one day to complete it also!! 1crazymom
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    **********ATTN:
    This week's topic is where you do these workouts at. Treadmill? Park? Etc? Good luck, everyone and I hope you have a great day! :)
  • drh1111
    Options
    I live in a small town close to the high, junior high and elementary schools. It is approximately 3/4 miles to the school track. I walk and run to the track and go around a couple of times and return home. All in all it is about 2 miles start to finish at this time. As I go further in the program, I will stop using the track and will go through the neighborhood because of the up and down hills.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    @ Jezzi...I'm with you on that one...I'm going to do W5D1 x 2, W5D2 x 2, W5D2 x 2...then, go from there. I think this is the pivotal week.

@drhendricks...I guess listen to your body...however, going from W3 to W4 wasn't too bad. Week 5 is killer for me.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    **********ATTN:
    This week's topic is where you do these workouts at. Treadmill? Park? Etc? Good luck, everyone and I hope you have a great day! :)

I run outside and the hills are killer along the path. I think that's why it's makes Week 5 a bit harder. I like being outside better than a gym because the weather is so beautiful and we're canned up 6 months a year with winter.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Did w6d2 today..sorta. My ipod died after 8 minutes. (Today is supposed to be j10, w3, j10). I was just going to continue the plan without the music, but realized (very) quickly that running without music SUCKS! So, I had two choices: suck it up for another 15 minutes and listen to myself huff and puff, or just finish the mile (I had a little less than half a mile left to go) and call it good. I finished the mile (no easy task without the tunes, mind you). I'll probably run tonight and do one of 3 things: do the actual w6d2, run 1 mile, or just see how far I can run before I wanna die. Which would you choose?
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    W7D3.....will be repeating this week again. (3) 25 min runs this week=killer!!! I'm def not quite ready for W8!!!

Well, I am impressed that you are on W7...I'm just starting W5, I'll end the week with a 20 minute run ...it just doesn't seem possible :noway:

PS...where did everyone go on this thread???

I was wondering the same thing. It is a big help to see what other folks are having to say about their triumphs and struggles. I will say though that you are encouraging and helpful.

After looking at what was in store for W8D1 I decided on going on ahead and doing it. It only upped the minutes by 3 more. I thought it was more. The run was tough and I was so happy when it was over. I'm really enjoying this program. I was never a runner....never dreamed I would be either but I love the way it makes me feel and the fact it's toning my body up!! :)
  • gotabayqh
    gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm just completed W5D2 today. Going for the first full 20 min jog on Friday... it's rather intimidating!! And I jog on a treadmill, trying to pace myself at 5 mph.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Monday, W4D3
    Tuesday, W5D1
    Wednesday, W5D1 x 2...no stopping, beautiful run (well, for me anyway)
    Thursday, nada damn thing, rest

Friday, W5D2...going for the 8 minutes...will also do Jillian Micahels Day 1 30 day shred...then, 8 hour shift at work
  • drh1111
    Options
    Just finished W3D3. Instead of running at the track this time, I ran down a side street with no traffic and several short hills. Not bad, but I think I will repeat this week, if nothing else to give my joints some time before going to the next level. I go to a conference in FL on July 23rd. Don't want people to look at this hulk limping around because he pushed it too much.

By the way, I really like listening to music when I am out because I run by myself. Don't know if anyone else struggles with this, but it helps me.

Have a good weekend.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    drhendricks...do you take supplements for the joints?? fish oil, glucosamines Also, yoga and stretching are very good for joints.

I run outside and think it's more dangerous to run with music. I feel like I need to watch cars, potential perpetrators and such. I grew up in Chicago, I guess it makes me paranoid. LOL. I am supposed to run today and it hear thundering now which is not a good sign. I am willing to run in the rain; but, this looks miserable!
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Monday, W4D3
    Tuesday, W5D1
    Wednesday, W5D1 x 2...no stopping, beautiful run (well, for me anyway)
    Thursday, nada damn thing, rest
    Friday, W5D2...Jillian Michaels Shred #1...1/2 of W5D2,

Thought for the day:
    1) I was too scared of the thunder and lighting to finish. I didn't think it was worth dying over.
    2) I did one 8 minute cycle, not sure if I was propelled by determination - or - fear

Tomorrow, I will try again...Chip up ^
  • drh1111
    Options
    I do stretch before and after I run. I also take two fish oil capsules everyday. Haven't started glucosamine yet. I used to take supplements, but I wasn't doing any exercising, so it seemed unnecessary. It is time I start taking them again.

Thanks nisijam.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I've heard that you should NOT stretch before exercise as the muscles are not warm enough. The stretching should be after. If you go to Coolrunning.com, they have some great stretches.

Sunday, W5D2...success finally

I'm a little behind schedule, but happy about the results that I am seeing. My legs are starting to get really toned and strong!!!
    Tomorrow, I am going for the 20 minute of W5D3. Hopefully, I will surprise myself.
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    We promote dynamic or "active" stretching for our HS athletes. Rather than the static, "sit around a circle and count" stretching that I did when I was in HS (fewer than 10 years ago) the kids now make an active warmup. Some examples are butt kicks and high knees. (Tons more, but those are the easiest/most recognizable) They do a light warmup, for volleyball they run 3 laps around the gym, then do their dynamic stretches. So they're stretching warm muscles and using them in sport-like situations.

Back on the c25k wagon tomorrow--3 days off and it's killing me! W6D1 is back to intervals, but then long, non-stop runs ahead!
  • drh1111
    Options
    Thanks for the input on stretching. The other day I ran without stretching, and I seemed to be struggling more. I will look into the website and dynamic stretching.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Yes, the dynamic stretching is good...that's what Jillian does on her DVDs. But, I thought the five-minutes is supposed to be your warm-up with the program, I thought.

Jezzi, your one step ahead of me...I'm going to try W5D3 tonight when it cools down

Monday, No More Trouble Zones & W5D3...will report on how well I did tonight...I'm scared!! :sad: 20 minutes
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    Yeah, I think the 5 minute walk is designed to warm your muscles up, but I was just sharing the stretching stuff because there was some discussion about it. I am really bad about stretching, always have been, (yes, I know this will bite me in the future...) but for those who are good about stretching and want more--perhaps a couple minute walk, some dynamics, then the 5 minute warmup walk for the program? Seems reasonable to me...

Yeah, I'm still yet to start week 6. I keep getting delayed, and now we're having thunderstorms tonight. Ugh!! Tomorrow I will be at a house with a treadmill, so no more excuses. (Unless they got rid of the treadmill, of course.)
  • drh1111
    Options
    Good Morning. Just completed W3D1 for the second time. Took 3 days off from any exercising to give everything a chance to recover. Good for the recovery, but bad for the exercising because I barely made it through the second 3 minute run. Maybe later this week it will get better.

I hope others continue posting to this site. It is a big help for me to have the support and conversation. Thanks to you who post.