TOM and weight loss

Options
I am really struggling this week, it's a few days before TOM and I have not gained this week but I am at a standstill. I am bloated and am wondering if this is what's keeping me from dropping any more pounds. I have not given into any of the crazy sugar cravings and have been doing cardio and strength training almost every day. Is this something I should expect to happen every month --no lbs lost one week?

Anyone else experiencing this or have advice, I have upped my water intake to combat the bloating an dam watching my sodium intake as well. Thanks in advance

Replies

• EdilyB12
    EdilyB12 Posts: 42
    Options
    I have asked others the same thing and they told me to expect some weight gain, but to just continue what you are doing, drink lots of water and yes watch your sodium intake. If you exercise and eat right, once your TOM leaves, you should see the weight loss after its gone. Its all water weight don't worry :-). Hope this helped!
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same boat right now - I should start my TOM tomorrow and I've been bloated since last week but didn't gain any weight and didn't manage to lose any either. I've been keeping up with my cardio and calories - no overeating for me and no sugars as well (despite the cravings). I keep thinking, after my TOM I'll step on the scale and I'll see after the bloating is gone that I've lost some good weight, hoping. :p
  • jcreedy
    jcreedy Posts: 15
    Options
    Um - YES!! I experience it, too. Actually, I tend to gain a few pounds during my TOM week. NOT fun. When I feel crampy/bloated, I keep exercising - it always helps!
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    To not gain weight around TOM time is a loss..i usually put on 4-7 lbs each month..this past month i did not put on any weight and when TOM arrived i was actually 1-2 lbs lighter.
  • Northern30
    Northern30 Posts: 65
    Options
    I am in the same boat this week, feeling exactly like you guys. TOM is here for me. Going to try and increase my intake of water from 3 to 4 liters and wait until it's gone to weigh in. Hopefully that helps. Good luck ladies!!!
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I used to gain during TOM, but since I've been working out and drinking a lot more water, I just don't lose that week at all. Sometimes I don't lose for 2 weeks! But it's ok, because I don't gain either! LOL

When I first started this journey, i was losing fast, 2.5 a week! And when my TOM came and I didn't lose that week, I freaked out, but then realized I didn't gain either! After the first month of losing really fast, My body has settled into a slower pace, and I've realized that I'll go a week or two without losing anything and then lose 2-3 in one week. But I have yet to lose weight during my TOM!
  • midgeonthego
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. I was feeling frustrated. I am not as bloated as I usually am, so I guess that's something. Hopefully I will be a few pounds lighter next week.
  • satousan88
    satousan88 Posts: 29
    Options
    I usually gain something like 2-4 pounds and feel really bloated and ugly =( so I don't even use the scales at that time lol
    when it's over I'm back to normal weight or even lost 1-2 pounds! (even though I give in into my chocolate cravings)
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I tend to gain or be at a stand still with TOM. you hold more water, I have learned i CHUG water during TOM or right before it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't usually gain but will likely stay the same. The best you can do is watch your sodium and keep up with the exercise and water - besides that, you can't really fight mother nature.
  • satousan88
    satousan88 Posts: 29
    Options
    I tend to gain or be at a stand still with TOM. you hold more water, I have learned i CHUG water during TOM or right before it.

I always drink a lot (up to 4 l water daily) so I tried drinking even more before TOM too, but never noticed any difference :(
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself at TOM last week and had gained a pound. I was SOOOO frustrated!!! But this week I'm back to normal and lost 5 pounds since then. I honestly think that the bloating during TOM causes me to hold onto at least 3-4 pounds, because there's no way I could have lost 5 pounds that quickly! (My settings are to lose 1.5 lbs a week). But it was nice to see the scale go down.

My advice is to just ignore TOM weight!
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    you hold more water, I have learned i CHUG water during TOM or right before it.

This helps me as well. TOM arrived for me today and for once I am actually glad. This past week has been the worst I have had in months in terms of cravings. I am sure just coming back from a week long vacation has something to do with it... I ate constantly the whole time we were away. :( UGH! Maybe I can finally feel normal again after it is finished.