Overnight oats?

Options

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    To be fair, if your overnight oats turn out slimy, appalling, or glop, you're doing it wrong. It's one thing if the combo of yogurt and oats isn't your thing, but if what you ended up with is "a mess", then you didn't have your ratios correct. The first time I tried this, I decided to wing it and ended up having to toss it. Just like cooking, you have to start out following a recipe and once you get familiar with the process you can get creative without making something awful :)

RIIIIIGHT. Because if someone doesn't like it "surely" they "MUST" be doing it "ALL WRONG". Did it ever occur to you that this isn't rocket science? The overnight oats are just not appealing to everyone. And that doesn't mean we are "doing it wrong" or are not "familiar with" the highly complicated process of placing oats, milk, and what ever desired ingredients, into a container and into the fridge from bed time to breakfast. Not everyone who has tried it likes it. Don't let it keep you up at night! :)

I see what you are saying but tend to agree that if your overnight oats are literally slimy and that's not just an adjective that you randomly picked to describe them, you are doing something wrong (maybe using quick oats?) Overnight oats have generally soaked just long enough to soften the oats, not to break them down enough to be slimy.

See? You don't get to dictate the mouth feel of oatmeal that others experience. You assume we all just have no clue what we are doing and surely we would love it if only we followed correct instructions. It's a matter of preference. The soluble fiber in oatmeal is slimy and you may not feel that it comes off that way to you, but you do not get to dictate the rest of us. Any way, my comment and opinion stand. I did not come here to debate with you or anyone else. I came to offer my thoughts on the origination post. Now my busy day is calling. Carry on as you wish.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Here's my old recipe:

1/4 cup rolled oats
    1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup mixed frozen berries

i'd layer them all in a small mason jar, put the lid on, and then in the morning pour in a packet of sweetener (equal, usually) and shake it up! Absolutely delicious. Just a bit out of my price range atm.

PS: it only costs a bit under $1 a breakfast if you buy everything at sam's club!
  • gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My go to recipe for morning oats is;
    40g oats
    14g sliced almonds(sometimes I use raw pumpking seeds)
    15g shredded unsweetened coconut (sometines I use unsweetend cocoa powder)
    20g dehydrated pineapple (sometines I use dryed cherries)
    1 scoop vanilla whey isolate
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    When I have made them, I use an individual container of yogurt of whatever flavour I have, then use an equal amount of oats, mixed together and left in the fridge till when I eat them. They do have a different taste and texture to traditionally made oats, but I dont mind it.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I make the "base recipe" from wholefully.com/2016/03/07/8-classic-overnight-oats-recipes-you-should-try/ - though I have scaled it down a bit to get a calorie count halfway between a whole serving and half serving. I don't like peanuts (or peanut butter) or chunky bits in my oatmeal, so most of the other recipes on that page don't appeal to me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    To be fair, if your overnight oats turn out slimy, appalling, or glop, you're doing it wrong. It's one thing if the combo of yogurt and oats isn't your thing, but if what you ended up with is "a mess", then you didn't have your ratios correct. The first time I tried this, I decided to wing it and ended up having to toss it. Just like cooking, you have to start out following a recipe and once you get familiar with the process you can get creative without making something awful :)

RIIIIIGHT. Because if someone doesn't like it "surely" they "MUST" be doing it "ALL WRONG". Did it ever occur to you that this isn't rocket science? The overnight oats are just not appealing to everyone. And that doesn't mean we are "doing it wrong" or are not "familiar with" the highly complicated process of placing oats, milk, and what ever desired ingredients, into a container and into the fridge from bed time to breakfast. Not everyone who has tried it likes it. Don't let it keep you up at night! :)

Actually, I literally said, "It's one thing if the combo of yogurt and oats isn't your thing, but...". Meaning I get some people just aren't going to like it. I guess I'm not great with food, because there are all kinds of "simple" foods that I used to hate because I just threw stuff together and didn't realize I was doing it wrong. In all seriousness, the ratio of yogurt to liquid to oats can drastically change the texture and thickness of the finished product.

All I did was suggest that if some people thought it was a good idea but their's turned out slimy or gloppy, they should try measuring out a specific recipe for it and see if it helps. No reason to get snarky. :drinker:
  • lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had them this morning with milk, frozen blueberries and blackberries, and a couple chocolate chips. delicious.
  • jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We have an orange tree that produces hundreds of juicy oranges that are impossible to peel or even cut into wedges. Therefore my overnight oats are half a cup of oats, juice and sometimes zest of one orange, either pumpkin or sunflower seeds, dried fruit (usually raise a or craisens), and frozen berries. In the morning I add a dollop of yogurt. I have small round plastic containers with lids for the fridge at home but sometimes take them to work.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites...

Pumpkin Overnight Oats

1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup any milk you want
    1/4 cup pumpkin puree
    1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    2 tsp brown sugar
    1/8 cup raisins
    1/8 cup chopped walnuts

I just store it in a pyrex glass bowl with lid.

Sometimes I'll stir in a few tsp of plain yogurt too.

wr78973bpkr7.jpeg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My usual recipe is pretty simple:

5.3 oz. Dannon Oikos Triple Zero Greek Yogurt - Strawberry
    48g Rolled Oats
    34g (1 scoop) Strawberries & Cream flavor protein powder
    8 oz. Fairlife nonfat milk

I just mix them together in a bowl and cover it with Saran Wrap overnight in the refrigerator.

510 cal
    58g carbs / 14g fiber
    5g fat
    60g protein
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Do overnight oats taste like porridge? whats the texture like? whats the similarities/differences? (sorry, haven't read through the thread yet, so if anyone has anything to add to what has been said, go ahead).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do overnight oats taste like porridge? whats the texture like? whats the similarities/differences? (sorry, haven't read through the thread yet, so if anyone has anything to add to what has been said, go ahead).

When soaked overnight (or for less time--sometimes I make them in the morning to eat later for lunch) the oats are still chewy, as they have not broken down the way they do when cooked.
  • MyWeigh58
    MyWeigh58 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those of you who answered my original post. :)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have a big bowl for my steel-cut oatmeal. I microwave it for three minutes, stir, then microwave for another two. If you have access to a microwave there's no reason to do the overnight thing since it doesn't take a lot of time to cook it. One caution: make sure the bowl is big so it doesn't boil over.

I like mine with diced dried fruit cooked in the oatmeal, some chopped nuts added at the end, and sugar-free maple syrup.
  • kimny72
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    I have a big bowl for my steel-cut oatmeal. I microwave it for three minutes, stir, then microwave for another two. If you have access to a microwave there's no reason to do the overnight thing since it doesn't take a lot of time to cook it. One caution: make sure the bowl is big so it doesn't boil over.

I like mine with diced dried fruit cooked in the oatmeal, some chopped nuts added at the end, and sugar-free maple syrup.

That's cool, I didn't realize you could cook steel cut oats in the microwave.

Honestly, the point of overnight oats for me is it's a breakfast with plenty of protein and fiber. I love oatmeal but find I have to add some kind of protein to make it more filling to me. When it's cold out I'll have a bowl of oatmeal and an egg, when it's warm I'll have overnight oats!
  • kimny72
    Options

Honestly, the way I learned how to make it (equal parts yogurt and oats with fruit added) it tastes like yogurt. It's a little chewy and thicker than the yogurt by itself. I find the combo of protein, fat, and fiber makes it more filling than yogurt or oatmeal by itself
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I never make overnight oats with yogurt. However, I do like dry oats stirred into yogurt. I like my oats very solid/not broken down, which is why I prefer overnight rather than cooked oats.

Side question--Is porridge always oats or does the term porridge include other cooked grain cereals?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    If you have access to a microwave there's no reason to do the overnight thing since it doesn't take a lot of time to cook it.

The point of overnight oats (for me, at least) isn't the "not having time to cook them" aspect. It's that they taste completely different with the yogurt and vanilla in there. And that they have more protein (due to the Greek yogurt). I like regular oatmeal too, but it's just a different meal.
  • kimny72
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I never make overnight oats with yogurt. However, I do like dry oats stirred into yogurt. I like my oats very solid/not broken down, which is why I prefer overnight rather than cooked oats.

Side question--Is porridge always oats or does the term porridge include other cooked grain cereals?

I'm fascinated by overnight oats without yogurt! I assumed the point was that the bacteria from the yogurt "cooked" the oatmeal to make it more edible. But I guess just soaking the oats in any type of liquid softens them up enough? Interesting :drinker: