What kinds of exercises/activites will help me with endurance for running?

Options

Replies

• magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    gillie80 wrote: »
    Hi OP, i started running 5 months ago, to train for a 10K at the beginning of October there. i went too far too fast and ended up with shin splints; really painful and can be quite damaging if you don't let them heal. my advice would be be to go with a programme, c25k or or c210k, since that is your goal. it starts you off slowly and builds, allowing 10k in 60 minutes by the end of the 14 weeks. i'm nowhere near that, but as i have medical issues i figure that as long as i can do a 10k i'm doing ok. I also do an aerobics class once a week which helps with my general fitness (plus i get battery operated glow sticks lol)

be the tortoise, not the hare and you'll get there quicker.

Wow, thats quite fast. My goal is to run 10km by the end of next year. Do they tell you who can get to 10kms in 14 weeks? because I am still somewhat obese.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, i started running 5 months ago, to train for a 10K at the beginning of October there. i went too far too fast and ended up with shin splints; really painful and can be quite damaging if you don't let them heal. my advice would be be to go with a programme, c25k or or c210k, since that is your goal. it starts you off slowly and builds, allowing 10k in 60 minutes by the end of the 14 weeks. i'm nowhere near that, but as i have medical issues i figure that as long as i can do a 10k i'm doing ok. I also do an aerobics class once a week which helps with my general fitness (plus i get battery operated glow sticks lol)

Wow, thats quite fast. My goal is to run 10km by the end of next year. Do they tell you who can get to 10kms in 14 weeks? because I am still somewhat obese.

i went from not running to my first 10k in 12 weeks, so its totally doable.
  • magicpickles
    Options

i went from not running to my first 10k in 12 weeks, so its totally doable.

:-O
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I should mention, my trainer is going to help me with the 10k. I'm just wondering what kind of stuff I can do outside our sessions, besides running that will help me be a better runner.

If the trainer cannot provide a full program, you do not need this trainer ;)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I should mention, my trainer is going to help me with the 10k. I'm just wondering what kind of stuff I can do outside our sessions, besides running that will help me be a better runner.

that's actually a very good point!

a trainer should have a programme for you that includes cross training.
  • LKArgh
    Options

He probably wouldn't be super thrilled with my food choices today, but I've made improvements in small ways as to how I usually eat, and if I keep adding new things, I should eventually be in the right place.

I am not really sure that it works this way. You can end up replacing food with lower calorie alternatives or eat smaller portions and end up losing, but you might also end up eating a ton of healthier food, but with a total of more calories than you would have eaten in your "old" diet. Maybe a dietitian who will give you a plan (and do the tracking instead of you) would be a better investment than a trainer?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

That's a very good point. I'm presuming you're paying the trainer for this program, so they should be giving you the full program. If they know what they're doing, you will not need to go outside their program.
  • magicpickles
    Options

That's a very good point. I'm presuming you're paying the trainer for this program, so they should be giving you the full program. If they know what they're doing, you will not need to go outside their program.

Well.... we haven't actually started yet. I only mentioned I wanted to do this today. We only talked about it for a few minutes. I don't know what he has planned.

We meet 4 times a week for 1/2 hour. I figured I had time to do something outside of that time.
  • LKArgh
    Options

Well.... we haven't actually started yet. I only mentioned I wanted to do this today. We only talked about it for a few minutes. I don't know what he has planned.

We meet 4 times a week for 1/2 hour. I figured I had time to do something outside of that time.

Talk to him about your goals and what you should on your own.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

And that's what you should be talking about with the trainer.
  • lucykemp2712
    lucykemp2712 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner. I didn't bother with a programme I just went from not being able to run for even 30s to now racing in local leagues (well, I'm on an enforced 'break' right now thanks to some new asthma!) I started out with my other half and we just jogged for as long as we could manage, then walked, then jogged etc. We used a local 5k route each time. Always 5k but just jogged/ walked. Over time, the walk parts became shorter and the running became longer. I was elated when we did our first full 5k run and it only took a few weeks. It felt like I was dying at first but it does get easier with time.

I had a treadmill at home as well and I would run on that with my ipad taped over the control panel and would watch tv episodes and then eventually whole films whilst running. I found that way better than music as the music always threw my breathing pattern off. I cannot run with music at all.

With regard to incline walking, only do as steep as you can walk *without* holding on. if you hold the treadmill whilst fast/ fast incline walking you are not working as hard as you might think you are.

I found the best way for me to improve my running was to throw in some hiit/ intervals once or twice a week (run as fast as you can for say 30s, then walk or stop for 30-60s, or any combination of times you can manage), hills once or twice a week (preferably running hills, or a hill programme on treadmill, but incline fast walking should still help) and then just my regular runs in between.

Something to bear in mind to avoid injury- make sure your trainers are good enough for you. The wrong trainers WILL cause injuries to your legs and/or knees and/or feet. I made this mistake starting out and had to go to a physio. I ended up getting my gait assessed and got new stability/ cushioned trainers and my injury went and has not ever come back.

DO NOT do too much too soon, even if you feel you need to push yourself more. If you are unable to assess this for yourself, the couch25k or 10k is a good programme to follow. Or join a local running club. That was the best thing I did. My local club is very large and has runners of all abilities from beginners to elites (we actually have members of team GB triathlon in my club!!)

Good luck and eventually you should enjoy it more and if you don't after a few months, it may be better to find an exercise you really enjoy as that is the type of exercise that is the best- the one you enjoy and will keep doing :)

(sorry for my essay)
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've gone from non-runner to just completing my first nonstop 5K in around 8 weeks. I'm currently 102KG and 5'9 and never thought I would manage 1 mile let alone 3!! Take it slow and persevere.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @lucykemp2712 your advice is helpful, but might not be the best thing to do for someone who is carrying a lot of weight. All that weight on the ankles and knees is hard on the body, so going too fast or too long too soon would guarantee an injury. I still think a structured program would be the best route and to stay away from running HIIT for now until more weight is lost and more running experience gained. This is especially true for a treadmill because misjudging the potential high speed you could sustain for 30 seconds could cause a treadmill accident because you can't decelerate quickly enough.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I know. i thought so too. i know my best mate, who is like a rake these days, is just over 60 minutes. i'm closer to 90 but the point of the app i think is it doesn't matter the time you do, as long as you can do it. i'd like to think come February next year i'm closer to my goal but i'm concentrating on improving my 5km time first.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    FWIW I pedal on a gym bike while watching YT videos or reading when I want to keep my cardio levels up. Seems to work.

As for enjoying running and sprinting, I do find it handy to be able to sprint across a tennis court but I would never find it fun to go on a 5k run (I did long distance running in school and hated it). You might want to consider another form of exercise to enable you to eat more - a gym class or a sport; pick something that you think would be fun.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I agree on the cross training aspect so hopefully your trainer has a plan mapped out..

I never used a trainer, but I do cross train and add strength training that has helped me be a better runner.
  • ctnj2005
    ctnj2005 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started running almost a year and a half ago. I started with an awesome running start program w/ a running club. What helped me with my endurance was interval training working my way up at a steady pace over about 12 weeks( walk/run while decreasing the walking over time) jumping rope really helped with endurance, weight training a few days a week to increase the strength in my leg muscles and training on hills outdoors. Be sure to also take your proper rest days and don't skip on the complex carbs on the days you run. Happy running!!
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Switch to whole grains. Try some type of protein bars and wholegrain oat, or granola bars instead of other sweets. You can switch from milk to almond milk. Get into the habit of preparing your own meals. Pinterest has many good recipes. When you run, land on your toes to take stress off your joints. Try power walking. In workout clothes with hand weights you'll look fine.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Oh, if you don't like running, you should try calisthenics or weight lifting. Body-weight squats are also great. If you can bust out a few sets of those throughout your day, and maybe some push-ups, that would be good.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    Switch to whole grains. Try some type of protein bars and wholegrain oat, or granola bars instead of other sweets. You can switch from milk to almond milk. Get into the habit of preparing your own meals. Pinterest has many good recipes. When you run, land on your toes to take stress off your joints. Try power walking. In workout clothes with hand weights you'll look fine.

Please explain how swapping from milk to almond milk helps running?