2»

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    mari5466 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    There really isn't a way to accurately know how many calories you get from a meal if you vomit it up later. My advice would be if you want to accurately track your calories, don't eat things that make you vomit.

You know what, perhaps just don't eat things that make you vomit in general.

I'm 23 years old, I'm gonna eat French fries occasionally. It sounds really easy to say to someone not to eat certain things but when 9 out of 10 times I don't get sick and the one time I do I'll take my chances.

I do think this is normal. I could not go without certain foods. Enjoying food is part of enjoying life and if I could not eat anything I like I'd be depressed. I'd rather throw up sometimes than never eat spicy food again...and I get acid reflux in my sleep at random sometimes, but I will not stop eating spicy food because it is the only food I like. Literally, I put hot sauce on pretty much everything or I don't like it.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    There really isn't a way to accurately know how many calories you get from a meal if you vomit it up later. My advice would be if you want to accurately track your calories, don't eat things that make you vomit.

You know what, perhaps just don't eat things that make you vomit in general.

I'm 23 years old, I'm gonna eat French fries occasionally. It sounds really easy to say to someone not to eat certain things but when 9 out of 10 times I don't get sick and the one time I do I'll take my chances.

I do think this is normal. I could not go without certain foods. Enjoying food is part of enjoying life and if I could not eat anything I like I'd be depressed. I'd rather throw up sometimes than never eat spicy food again...and I get acid reflux in my sleep at random sometimes, but I will not stop eating spicy food because it is the only food I like. Literally, I put hot sauce on pretty much everything or I don't like it.

This has been my normal, since I was born my body has always produced more acid than most and most of the time I'm fine or I'll take medicine just incase before to make sure I'll be fine but it can be very unpredictable and I'm not gonna drop everything from my diet for once every 6 months I might have too much acid in my stomach that day. I dropped all acidic food, especially the fruits but sometimes other thing can trigger it or its a combination of foods.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Beyond my scope of practice.
    Sounds like you aren't ready to change your eating habits.
    Go to the doctor.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I would do an elimination diet. I am on a very restrictive diet food wise for crohn's which I mostly follow but once in a while I test trigger foods. I really don't want to flare and get really sick so this isn't often.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with ulcers. One of the worst things for me is coffee but I still drink it nearly every day. There's nothing abnormal about it. I've figured out how to make it work. There are some days I know not to drink it or I'll be in pain, and those days I don't drink it. But 9 times out of 10, it's not going to hurt me which is why I'm drinking a cup while typing this. Nothing abnormal about it. If it made her sick every time she ate or drank it and she still did, that would be concerning. This is not. Count the calories but if you get super hungry later, feel free to go over. That's what I do.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If one has a dairy allergy for example, one is still hard pressed to give up things like most chocolate, ice cream, buttermilk pancakes, even buttered toast- it's especially difficult when it doesn't always seem to affect you. So I wouldn't be to hard on her for eating stuff she knows may not go over well. That is- unless you've been there...
    it's a lot easier to say "just don't do that" than it is to actually do it some days.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Have you tried digestive enzymes? They have them at GNC and some say they help with indigestion and stomach troubles. I just bought some to try because I have trouble digesting the protein in eggs.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    KimiAR wrote: »
    If one has a dairy allergy for example, one is still hard pressed to give up things like most chocolate, ice cream, buttermilk pancakes, even buttered toast- it's especially difficult when it doesn't always seem to affect you. So I wouldn't be to hard on her for eating stuff she knows may not go over well. That is- unless you've been there...
    it's a lot easier to say "just don't do that" than it is to actually do it some days.

If a person is willing to risk anaphylaxis in order to eat a pancake, there is something wrong with her decision making. Food allergies are deadly. Food intolerances are a different matter and can sometimes be worked around with meds like lactase supplements, in the case of lactose intolerance.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There is a big dif between an intolerance and an allergy.

Having had an intolerance to dairy for a period I can totally understand still having some from time to time. I found that I was super sensitive to dairy that was on its way to going bad etc. It also something I have grown out of just like I grew into it. My daughter was born lactose intolerant, pead's advice was to continue to try some from time to time to she if she'd grown out of it. It not an allergy and often small amounts can be consumed without issues. She also grew out of her intolerance but if she really over does it she does occasionally get the runs but still not green like when she was a baby.

An allergy is diff and should be treated differently. I also have an ALLERGY to penicillin. Of course I dont test it out just to see if I am still allergic or how my allergic reaction has progressed and I make sure to advise a doctor that I do have an allergic reaction (which is also dif to a side affect of a medication).
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have a sensitive stomach and acid reflex, I know I am not suppose to eat certain food because they cause me to feel sick but like anyone normal I don't always listen and most of the time I am fine but sometimes I am more sensitive and it usually hits me right after or during my meal. This week its been acting up and its the first time since I started trying to lose weight. I got sick right after breakfast yesterday and today after lunch a little while ago. Should I still count the calories for those meals or reduce them, I didn't yesterday but today it happened right after lunch and I had a pretty big lunch.

Before you ask, No I am not pregnant.

There is a lot of people that don't understand this. I also suffer with acid reflux and now suspect I have an ulcer. I can eat a food a million times then one time it cause me doubled over in pain. Then eat it again and have no problems. Then there are foods I just can't eat or drink. Coffee is one even decaf makes me bend over in excruciating pain.

Acid reflux is not an allergy you will not have a severe swelling reaction to it.