Resetting metabolism

Options
Anyone else ever done this? Im curious the best way to do it.

I think iv been eating way to few calories for to long and weight hasnt changed in months (I lost 50 pounds within 4 months been at 180 for 2 months now)

Research has told me I should focus on getting my body to burn more calories again before ill lose more weight.

By adding more calories. Not sure if I should do that all at once like bump my calories to 1500-1800 from the 1000-1200 for a few weeks? or months O.O? And should i add more exercise when i do that? Im constantly eating its just i eat majority low calorie vegetables and lean meat so i struggle to get the calories in XD

Thoughts please anything helps

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all solids and semi-solids and measure all liquids? If not then you probably want to start there as your stated intake, regardless of possible metabolic slow down due to low intake, would still result in losses as it's alarmingly low.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything i went from 230 to 180 and i go at the 1200 calorie base limit which i knew was far t olow for my weight, I just didnt realize how bad that was until now XD
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    And I often eat under 1200 which im not the proudest of but I eat constantly if hungry, Never really struggled with overeating I feel fine, Just heard a few videos talk about my body adjusting to the low low calories and holding onto fat for dear life and want to break that as healthy as possible XD
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    Cool that last one was what i was wondering thanks :) By the way when i say i eat constantly its things like cucumbers that have like no calories in bulk to just get rid of the cravings to overeat XD I always stay under my calories
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Cool that last one was what i was wondering thanks :) By the way when i say i eat constantly its things like cucumbers that have like no calories in bulk to just get rid of the cravings to overeat XD I always stay under my calories

everything has calories(except water).being under once in awhile is ok but you are supposed to eat to your calorie amounts.and eat back at least some of your exercise calories.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    yeah and i dont eat processed foods often
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Are you still able to breathe? Do you feel satisfied after eating or still hungry and extremely low of energy, losing masses of hair, losing weight at places where you don't store fat? Do you manage to pee and poop? I'm only asking because all those any many other things are part of 'metabolism'. It's rather unlikely that one part of this complex mechanism breaks down but the rest still works. Seriously, your metabolism doesn't need 'resetting'. It stops when you're dead but doesn't really change otherwise.

Nice attitude.

Some people have a down regulation of metabolic rate and should incr their intake. Keep in mind, OP is eating 1200/day. Not exactly long term nutrition in anyone's book.

OP, look up reverse dieting and understand that it takes twice the amount of time to reverse diet and keep the weight off, as it did to take it off.

Best of luck.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Great job on the weight loss!

If you are not losing weight now you don't always stay under your calories, you are eating at maintenance. I suggest you continue eating at maintenance for awhile, log all your foods and make sure your CICO is as tight as you can get it. Then, adjust to lose about a pound a week is you have more than 25 left, a half pound if you have less.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    A quick few thoughts about reverse diets since Dan mentioned them.

A lot of people misunderstand the mechanics of what they're meant to do since, in my experience, they're not explained very clearly.

A lot of people who don't need to be eating at 1200 calories start off dieting at 1200 calories. Over time, their bodies adjust to eating at that level. Their energy levels plummet and several key hormones drop. They often stall out in weight loss.

What a lot of people come away from reading about reverse dieting end up believing is that they need to eat more to begin losing weight again.

That's not how weight loss works. That's not how reverse dieting works.

Reverse dieting is a controlled readdition of caloric intake, that over time will also bring up your energy levels which will increase either your NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) or your exercise performance. There's a net effect on calories in/out with reverse dieting, because the increase in calories in results in an increase in calories out.

What a reverse diet does is resets the level at which a dieter needs to be dieting and exercising. If you were dieting and performing at a sub-optimal rate at 1200, you can potentially reverse diet (if you meet the criteria) up to a higher calorie level and perform more optimally during exercise and move more during the day (you likely won't be aware of this) and lose weight on more calories.

It's not a magic bullet to eat more and lose weight.

Reverse diets are a bit of an old thing now. Most of the well known "experts" (Layne Norton etc), have come to the realization that one does not need to slowly reverse to maintenance. Just eat at maintenance (-10% if you have been dieting for a long time), and be done with it.

Yeah, I know. There are people that are afraid of the scale jump from glycogen replenishment, so they can do the reverse diet thing.

There are also people who can do what I suggested who have been dieting at too aggressive a deficit.

I've just seen too many posts on this forum about "metabolic damage" and people who think they started losing more because they ate more and wanted to explain how the whole process of reverse dieting worked when you were using it in the context of still being in a deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    hangyeeee wrote: »
    maybe is not the calories in food. Maybe is what you're eating, try eating unprocessed food for a month or a week maybe that will help :)

This is not necessary. Calories in/calories out for weight loss.
  • RealRelicVa
    RealRelicVa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a body composition scale? Your body fat percentage is where the truth lies, the scale lies to us everytime we get on it.