New to the Ketone diet

Options
Alright..i have a few questions on this diet.
1. About how many carbs a day should i be having?
2. I have the GI App and was wondering if anyone else has it and was wondering which number do I really count? (gi, carb, gi load)
3. Does anyone have any good recipes???

Please and ty

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Keto generally ranges from 20 to 50g of carbs a diet. Although, calories still control weight maintenance, loss, gain. What are your goals? Have you checked out the low carb group (i saw you posted in another thread I posted it)? Do you have medical issues?

Things to be concerned about, you need at least 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. You want foods high in potassium and magnesium (may have to supplement if insufficient) and protein should be fairly moderate (during weight loss around .6-.8g per lb of weight is helpful for muscle retention).
  • mikaylaellendysart
    Options
    I do not recommend this diet. I am diabetic and it can damage your organs and body
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I do not recommend this diet. I am diabetic and it can damage your organs and body

Not if you implement nutritional ketosis correctly. There are many people who have done it very long term.
  • oann8052
    oann8052 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My fiancee is diabetic and has lost over 50 pounds following a keto diet. Try different amounts of carbs til you find what works for you. Check out in the community tab LCHF forum and you'll find a lot of information there
  • psuLemon
    Options

Actually, for diabetics eating grains and sugars can damage your organs and body, and makes you completely dependent on pills and insulin for the rest of your life.

Why would you want to eat food with a high glycemic index if you have diabetes?

A keto diet contains very little sugar and no grains, and is the best way to stop T2 diabetes, and in some cases reverse it, with many cases of no longer needing insulin and pills.

This advise is for diabetics and pre-Type 2 diabetics only.

In all fairness, you can still have sugar and grains as a diabetic. You just want to combine it with proteins/fats/fiber and have it in small dosages to reduce the impacts of BG. There are plenty of successful diabetes on this board who have reverse the symptoms of their condition at 140 to 200g. They did it through controlled methods like no more than 30g of carbs per meal, combined with high fiber/fats/proteins, and did it with general weight loss and exercise.

It's not to suggest that LCHF or eliminating those things won't work or won't accelerate things, but it's not a universally true statement either.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Not if you implement nutritional ketosis correctly. There are many people who have done it very long term.

If they can maintain it long-term.

In my experience trying to completely overhaul one's diet is not particularly successful in the long-term maintenance of weight loss and adherence.
  • anapauo1102
    anapauo1102 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.. I'm starting LCHF too.
  • erin3011
    erin3011 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.. I'm starting LCHF too.

Me too! Starting Keto due to Fatty liver disease...