Almost falling back to old habits.

Options
Hey! So I made this year about giving it my all and doing something I never thought I would do. And I did it. -95lbs. I had never felt better in all of my life. But once I hit my goal I had felt it was time to start eating normal again... What a mistake that was. I felt I (deserved) to have nice things again.. Sugary fatty foods.. That was my idea of nice things. Well after a few months of that completely shamed to even go near the scale I went on a cruise to Mexico and they had all you can eat food for free, 24hrs a day... For a week. It was ridiculous. When I came back I weighed 22lbs more then my lowest weight. I felt lost and that all of this hard work was for nothing... I didn't want that at all. I went back on my diet immediately and some how managed to get back that same drive that got me going In the first place. It has been about a month since that cruise and I am down 12lbs already. I didn't write this to tell you about me. I'm telling you that it's not over once you start going back to old ways.. You can catch it. I will not let it win again. I am motivated once again and I am ready to hit a new goal. This time, to be smart about it. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read this.

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I did before but smaller portions so eventually it's become "normal". I confess tho, I don't crave sweet sugary things. But my hubby, who lost 60lbs & is keeping it off is a sweet a-holic but he's learned to eat small portions of goodies & makes a smoothie if he wants more out of fruit, yogurt etc
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Nice job. You've accomplished a ton and life happens. Every day is a new day. You'll be back to where you want to be in no time.
  • KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    To the OP - way to get back on track. I too find it easy to fall back into bad habits and still think about food as a reward. It's a battle to not constantly deny yourself but also not lose control. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    How is it going OP? I'm constantly trying to get back in check. The last couple weeks have been bad (too much baking, totally my fault). Great job for getting back on track!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Is sounds like you are doing a good job :smile:
  • CindyRoseMarie
    CindyRoseMarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's really not about a diet, to lose weight. It's a lifestyle change, knowing how to eat, what to eat and when to eat it. It has to be permanent, you've already seen how the other lifestyle works for you. :)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    This is one of favorite posts on MFP.

It's so easy to assume that a body weight is the target, but at least for me, it's about what's in my head rather than a number on the scale. I still have those 10lbs to lose that I put on after reaching my goal, but I've managed to stop it from progressing 2-3 times. The first time felt rather soul-destroying like I'd let myself down, but now I've realized that it's all a learning process and that's just fine. It is perfectly possible to regain the degree of control you need to keep your weight down while not developing OCD or perfectionist tendencies. And you never do start from scratch, because you're always building on what you've done before.

Exercise has helped me a lot - to take the edge of some of my weekend over-indulgences, work on developing a stronger, healthier body and a healthier mind. And after the "glow" of the new body wears off, exercise helps me appreciate what my body can do every time I lift a heavier weight or run an easier or quicker mile. 4 years ago, I would never have thought that possible.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I also threw out all my big clothes, so I've no choice but to maintain!!

Oh and definitely this!!

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You can never go back to "normal" eating. Once you hit your goal weight, you must CONTINUE "healthy eating"