Ladies - TOM question

Options
Hello -

I have been here now for five months and have lost just under 40 lbs. In the first four months I was losing pretty steadily and my TOM never affected my loss. I would see posts here about people saying they really only lost two weeks out of a month because of women's cycle issues but I never saw that in my own loss.

However, in the last month it seems that TOM has become more of a factor - I seem to be up a few pounds the week before and the week of and am also starving the week before. Then once I move past it I have the "whoosh."

It is nothing that is concerning me because I know the reason for it and I am still seeing the downward trend, I am just curious why it started now. Is it because I am closer to a healthier weight? (I am still a good 40-50 lbs away from a healthy weight, but am obviously closer than before!) Curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Replies

• jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would assume it is because you are closer to a healthier weight. Good job on losing close to 40 lbs; that's amazing!!
  • LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    szkodzt wrote: »
    Hello -

Is it because I am closer to a healthier weight? (I am still a good 40-50 lbs away from a healthy weight, but am obviously closer than before!) Curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Ok - I thought I was the only one! I am now officially 50 lbs from my healthy goal of 150 and really reallllyyyyyy noticed this last month, and this month is trending towards more of the same. The first few months I thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones who always steadily lost every week, but now that I'm within 50 lbs, the TOM cycle is affecting me. So you are not alone! I have read different things explaining that as we lose fat, our hormones begin to regulate and for those who have been overweight a long time, we would notice it more as we got nearer a healthy weight. I have no idea if any of the information has been scientifically researched but I sounds plausible. And congratulations on the 40 lbs!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite effect, when I had lost about 40 lbs: I'd pack on some water weight the week after my period, but right before and during I'd have the "whoosh." Before that (when I hadn't lost much) I followed the more traditional pattern. Bodies are super weird, dudes.
  • labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as avskk. I get the water weight gain AFTER my period. I thought I was the only one. It's so annoying but at least it's consistent!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have more water weight fluctuations now than I did when I was heavier. I'm up 5 lbs right now due to my period and it pretty much happened overnight. My periods are very irregular and I rarely know when they will start. Anyway, I put on my pants this morning and thought WTH, why are these so tight I just wore these last week and they were fine, weighed myself and was up 5 lbs and sure enough I started later today.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It started for me after a few months as well. So annoying.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    LynnBBQ72 wrote: »
    szkodzt wrote: »
    Hello -

Is it because I am closer to a healthier weight? (I am still a good 40-50 lbs away from a healthy weight, but am obviously closer than before!) Curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Ok - I thought I was the only one! I am now officially 50 lbs from my healthy goal of 150 and really reallllyyyyyy noticed this last month, and this month is trending towards more of the same. The first few months I thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones who always steadily lost every week, but now that I'm within 50 lbs, the TOM cycle is affecting me. So you are not alone! I have read different things explaining that as we lose fat, our hormones begin to regulate and for those who have been overweight a long time, we would notice it more as we got nearer a healthy weight. I have no idea if any of the information has been scientifically researched but I sounds plausible. And congratulations on the 40 lbs!

Congrats to you as well! And glad to hear I am not the only one! Thanks everyone!