What is your favorite cookbook?

25lbsorbust
25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
Sure, recipes can be found on the internet for free, but there's something so satisfying about scanning through a hardcover cookbook for that night's dinner. :smile:

So, what's your favorite? Mine is the SkinnyTaste cookbook. Just got her second one, but haven't tried anything out of it yet!

Replies

• GregorNotSamsa
    GregorNotSamsa Posts: 2 Member
    You can't go wrong with anything by Julia Child, in my opinion. I did come across Vincent Price's cookbook at an antique site and that's quite amazing. Salvadore Dali's is being re-released, but a bit pricey.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    For a good general purpose cookbook, I love my Mennonite Community Cookbook. Meat, vegetables, bread, pies, cakes, cookies, canning, salads, meatless meals. Simple things and more complex, a whole range of foods. And the section in the back on how to make lotion and soap, and how to plan food for a barn-raising is fun to look at, too.

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    I have a collection of medieval cookbooks, with the recipes adapted for modern times: "To the King's Taste", "Fabulous Feasts", "Take A Thousand Eggs or More". And a hardcopy adaptation of "Le Menagier de Paris", a fourteenth century tome written by an elderly gentleman to his young wife, so filled with medieval household hints and recipes you really have to wonder how much time this man must have spent in the kitchen and laundry-room bugging his poor servants. For fun, here's an online compilation:

pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,451 Member
    I'm fond of Simplissime:The Easiest French Cookbook in the World. I'm not a bad cook, but I hate following recipes. This is very simple, with pictures of the ingredients (never more than six, excluding salt and pepper) and the finished product. I can tell by looking if I'm likely to enjoy that dish or not. I don't feel I have to make a big shopping list before cooking a new dish. There are quite a few things I wouldn't make, and some I can't easily access the ingredients for (readymade duck confit, frozen pizza dough, etc.). The main thing I'm using it for is for ideas. There are some interesting flavour combinations, and because the recipes are so simple, it's easy to adapt and tweak them to your liking.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Google.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Google.

This. :)

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,451 Member
    I use my Kindle all the time for books. It's very rare for me to read physical books now. One exception is cookery books. I have some on my Kindle, but I don't tend to use them. It really is different looking at recipes in a real book.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    I love the Looney Spoons Collection, and the previous ones in the series - Looney Spoons, Crazy Plates and Eat Shrink and be Merry - one or the other of them has been open on my kitchen counter almost everyday for the last year. Great variety of dishes, gives the nutritional info for the recipes, uses easy to find ingredients and clear and simple directions. It is easy to find an adaptation of familiar and old favourites, like meatloaf, pad thai, fishcakes, different salads and soups - there really is such a variety that you could cook something different every day, and not get bored. Includes vegetarian options as well.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Joy of Cooking It was my first cookbook when I was learning to cook and still the first place I look when trying something new.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I have a gazillion cook books sitting on my shelf as I am an avid cook...I can't remember the last time I actually opened one...Pinterest is my best friend.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Old school. The Seattle Classic Cookbook. Copyright 1983. Even though my copy is almost falling apart I will never toss it.
    Excellent recipes in every category. I think you can still find on eBay ?
  • madperson42
    madperson42 Posts: 9 Member
    'Thug Kitchen' is great, super tasty recipes, and the swearing makes it really fun to read. 'From pasta to pancakes' is a great student cookbook with step by step pictures which makes it really easy to follow.
  • IonaEllenRose
    IonaEllenRose Posts: 24 Member
    Mine is definitely Jamie Olivers ministry of food.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Betty crocker has great basics: My copy is from my high school home ec in the late 70's.

I also love Mark Bittman's cook everything vegetarian, and Ina Gartens first Barefoot Contessa.
  • emeraldprincess71
    emeraldprincess71 Posts: 20 Member
    I have Little House on the Prairie cookbook that I got when I was in maybe 5th grade. It has recipes for the foods referred to in the books.
  • Sirrom_Essentials
    Sirrom_Essentials Posts: 25 Member
    Practical Paleo by Dianne Sanfillipo. Seriously, ours is falling apart we use it so much! It is the only cookbook that we actually make a large % of the recipes in it.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    I can't just pick one. My standards are: How to Cook Everything (Mark Bittman), Joy of Cooking, the King Arthur Flour Cookbook, Julia Child, and oddly enough, the Sonoma Diet Cookbook. I never followed the Sonoma Diet, but the recipes are great.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    "Frugal Gourmet Cooks American" by Jeff Smith was the first cookbook I bought and I go back to it frequently. But after discovering Good Eats (and figuring out cooking is just chemical engineering) I've picked up Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for the Food" and "I'm Just Here for More Food."