Flying while fat

emayc24
emayc24 Posts: 39 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've just booked a trip to Iceland for Christmas and I'm freaking out about fitting in the seat, the doctor weighed me 3 weeks ago and I'm 18 stone, hoping to loose another stone by then, I'm already panacking about getting on the plane! I'm flying with EasyJet, I'm worried about not fitting In the seat , it says the seat width is 17" so does that mean I need hips to be 34 inches? Mine are 48 :'(

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    you'll fit in the seat, my mum if very over weight (over 18 stone) and she fit, but had to ask for a seatbelt extender.
  • emayc24
    emayc24 Posts: 39 Member
    you'll fit in the seat, my mum if very over weight (over 18 stone) and she fit, but had to ask for a seatbelt extender.

Im hoping I won't need to ask for one :(
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    I am sure you will be just fine!! Just remember also that EasyJet is uncomfortable for anyone flying with it - no matter what their size is. Thankfully they usually don't offer very long flights. Enjoy Iceland, it is amazingly beautiful!
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    You need to fit in the seat with the arm rest down. You might want to try to get an aisle seat as that way you can lean towards the aisle if you feel like you are not able to fit well. Middle seats are not fun if you are bigger. Not fun for you or the person next to you.

Does easy jet have a premium economy with bigger seats? If so it might be worth a phone call to upgrade. Otherwise a second seat, call them for cost as it is cheaper than buying two separate tickets. Better you have a plan to get there, than you worry about it for months.

Airline seats are really not made very big at all. But my hips are 38" and I always have lots of room around me. So no, 34" hip are not needed.

We just got back from Iceland, it was incredible. Get out walking now, some things you do need to walk to enjoy and the ground can be a bit uneven in places. Take warm clothing, the wind there is crazy, plus it will be very cold. So layers, hats, gloves, scarf and some king of waterproof trousers. Waterproof footwear with a good grip is needed near the waterfalls and on the icy parts.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »
    You need to fit in the seat with the arm rest down. You might want to try to get an aisle seat as that way you can lean towards the aisle if you feel like you are not able to fit well. Middle seats are not fun if you are bigger. Not fun for you or the person next to you.

Does easy jet have a premium economy with bigger seats? If so it might be worth a phone call to upgrade. Otherwise a second seat, call them for cost as it is cheaper than buying two separate tickets. Better you have a plan to get there, than you worry about it for months.

Airline seats are really not made very big at all. But my hips are 38" and I always have lots of room around me. So no, 34" hip are not needed.

We just got back from Iceland, it was incredible. Get out walking now, some things you do need to walk to enjoy and the ground can be a bit uneven in places. Take warm clothing, the wind there is crazy, plus it will be very cold. So layers, hats, gloves, scarf and some king of waterproof trousers. Waterproof footwear with a good grip is needed near the waterfalls and on the icy parts.

In my experience easy jet is a super low cost airline that doesn't offer any extra frills. This has been my experience with them.
    1410426503568_wps_2_ACHRNM_Leg_room_on_a_budg.jpg

I don't even know if they offer different classes, do they?
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    I flew when I was over 300 pounds and fit without an extender. However that was back in 1994, so I guess things have changed since then.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    edited November 2016

Looking at their seat maps their pitch is 29", so very high density really. They do have some extra leg room seats, that might help the OP feel less crammed in. No idea how you get those.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/EasyJet_Airlines/easyJet_Airlines_Airbus_A319.php

But the flight to Iceland from the UK is really pretty short. I think about 2 hours at the most. So not like you are in the seat for long.

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Depends where you carry your weight. I was the about the same weight when I flew last and I have most weight in my hips. I fit in the seat but needed a seat belt extender. It almost fit though. Depends on the plane. Also I got a window seat and was lucky to have a small lady next to me, but I leaned as far as I could towards the window so I didn't bump against her.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    With 48 hips you are a UK size 20? You will fit in the seat with no problem, the seat belt fitted me at a size 20 - just. I completely understand your fear but please don't panic it won't be the end of the world if you need an extender. My tips would be not to have too many layers on and stick to MFP between then and now so you can enjoy your holiday and not spend it worrying about the return journey!
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    I'm pretty sure you'll fit in the seat, OP. Christmas in Iceland sounds amazing. Remember to eat the yoghurt, its soooo good!
  • Darcy0316
    Darcy0316 Posts: 39 Member
    ALL airlines are ridiculously tight these days. I always feel cramped and I'm 5'1" and 123 lbs. My knees end up hurting somehow, every time. Hate flying. From what everyone says, you should be OK and fit OK, try not to stress, and if you're uncomfortable (which it sounds like you will be) just remember that even small people are uncomfortable so that is a universal problem.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    The typical maximum length of the airline belt is 40", apparently... but bear in mind that this is a lap belt not a waist belt, so it doesn't have to fit all around your waist, just across the top of your thighs.

EJ flights don't have reclining seats, so there won't be anything coming into your body space from in front.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I am 6'3 currently around 240lbs but have been 265 and fit on Easyjet flights. The issue is more leg room than width.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    I was 255lbs when I flew a few months ago. NO problems at all!! I did not need an additional seat. I'm 5'10"
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    emayc24 wrote: »
    So I've just booked a trip to Iceland for Christmas and I'm freaking out about fitting in the seat, the doctor weighed me 3 weeks ago and I'm 18 stone, hoping to loose another stone by then, I'm already panacking about getting on the plane! I'm flying with EasyJet, I'm worried about not fitting In the seat , it says the seat width is 17" so does that mean I need hips to be 34 inches? Mine are 48 :'(

You will be fine. I weight 17 stone and I fit comfortably in the seat (and the loo) lol It was a problem when I weighed 26 stone though.

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    I've flown with 48" hips. No seatbelt extender needed.

The really uncomfortable thing wasn't my hips, it was my 34" inseam, which meant my knees were jammed into the seat in front of me and I couldn't cross or uncross my legs because my feet were too big to move through the space available.

Remember that you're not flat, you're round. You aren't as *wide* as your flattened jeans, because some of that circumference goes along your sides.
  • The_Ugly_One
    The_Ugly_One Posts: 23 Member
    I've been on various airlines in the last few years, and even at my peak of 295lb. (just a hair over 21 stone) I really had no problems. Didn't even need a belt extender. When everyone is crammed in like sardines in a can, you don't really even notice how everyone fits into their seat.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    I have no experience with this airline, but have flown Southwest recently at a similar weight. I agree about going for an aisle seat and trying to raise the armrest.