Slimfast

Options
Hello everyone I have recently started slimfast diet, I am just wondering what everyone's thoughts on the slim fast diet are..

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    When I tried to drink them when I was younger I wasn't a fan of the taste. Now, I prefer to have food instead of shakes.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think their shakes are good for travel or temporary food while you work out what to eat or to jumpstart your weight loss. They make a shake with 20 G protein and 1 G sugar. Adkins makes one that tastes better with 15 G protein and 1 G sugar. A shake with a salad makes a decent meal if you need something quick.

The problem with following their whole program is what will happen when you go back to regular food?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I will always prefer food.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    You may as well push throug with what you have since it's already paid for and make up your mind based on your experience with it. Based on my experience with it, I don't reccommend it. The shakes and bars did nothing for me, and when it came time for the "one balanced meal a day" I was ravenous and couldn't make good food decisions.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

A deficit is what you need to accomplish. If meal replacement shakes are how you get there- and you can sustain without the food, go for it.
    Just remember you will still need to train yourself to eat less FOOD when you are done with the shakes. :)

There is no right or wrong- there is only you and your journey and finding what works for you.
    Good luck!!
    **Ive tried them, they break my skin out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I have recently started slimfast diet, I am just wondering what everyone's thoughts on the slim fast diet are..

This is a website where users measure & log food. SlimFast is a plan designed for you to skip most of that. So don't expect much support here.

I did SlimFast years ago. A lot of calories were wasted on something that was not filling (sugar). I lost weight, but of course regained it when I stopped SlimFast, because meal replacement shakes taught me nothing.

We need to figure out what we are doing wrong, we need to figure out why we are fat. SlimFast is just a method to reduce calories.....but we can do that with REAL food. Measure & logging real food shows us our errors.
  • xxbrimstonexx
    xxbrimstonexx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    They made me gassy... so very, very gassy... words cannot describe the bloating, sound and smell...

(This was like, 20 years ago, so maybe they've improved???)

Also, I'd drink one and I'd be starving 15 minutes later and I'd get frustrated and wash the shake down with a Whopper or two... not kidding...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What's the benefit of them to you? Just that they are easy? Do you feel satisfied? What else do you consume or plan to consume? Those are the kinds of things I'd be asking myself.

I went through a stage where I consumed them for breakfast as a teen (hmm, no, maybe it was Carnation Instant Breakfast -- anyway a shake thing that wasn't that good that you mixed with milk), but that was just because I was too lazy to make breakfast, hated cold cereal, and it got my mom off my back about skipping breakfast (which I ended up doing after a while anyway). Wasn't a diet for me, though.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This is a website where users measure & log food. SlimFast is a plan designed for you to skip most of that. So don't expect much support here.

I did SlimFast years ago. A lot of calories were wasted on something that was not filling (sugar). I lost weight, but of course regained it when I stopped SlimFast, because meal replacement shakes taught me nothing.

We need to figure out what we are doing wrong, we need to figure out why we are fat. SlimFast is just a method to reduce calories.....but we can do that with REAL food. Measure & logging real food shows us our errors.

Nailed it
  • barni71
    barni71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I must be odd because I really like the taste of the shakes and have had them even when not dieting. However I have to mix the flavours and have chocolate and banana or chocolate and strawberry together.
  • sstroh2
    sstroh2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like them when I am in a hurry out the door for breakfast, I already try and drink a lot of water. I think that as long as you are aware of the limitations of the diet, then you will be ok. Just like any other "quick style" diet, it doesn't help address the long term issue of weight loss. However, if you looking for a long term solution then it won't provide that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    As with anything. Can you remain compliant for the duration needed? Do you have an exit plan when you go back to eating normal food and have to try and maintain the losses. The second part is where most people come unstuck.
  • lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like them when I'm in a hurry but only drink them occasionally, and only the advanced nutrition ones, because the others have a ton of sugar. If you drink them too fast they make you very ill for several hours (use your imagination).