What foods surprised you the most, calorie-wise?

Options

Replies

• rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    On the high end, rices and pastas. I don't eat them anymore, because if I'm going to eat that many calories in carbs I may as well dip bananas in honey and enjoy it more and get some nutrition. On the low end, brussels sprouts. Those fill me up.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    You know those teeny tiny fun sized Almond Joys? 220 calories. for one. ugh silly coconut

What? That can't be right. I think that calorie count is for three...
  • JSaus13
    JSaus13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bad surprise: Nuts and beer. The serving size is tiny for nuts and even just run of the mill beer will set you back about 144 calories, craft beer can be as much as twice that.

Good surprise: Grilled chicken breast. Low fat, low cal, high protein. Grill up a couple of pounds over the weekend and you have an endless array of stir frys, salads, rice bowls, soups, etc. for the rest of the week.

I don't eat a lot of nuts, but beer? *sigh* I drink Coors Light and it's 102 calories per 12 oz can.

I also do the same thing with chicken. Mine is mostly for lunches for my husband and I. I still may make something for dinner as well. Chicken is so versatile!!
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Cheese. An ounce of cheese is actually like 1/10th of what I used to consider a "serving".
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,211 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You know those teeny tiny fun sized Almond Joys? 220 calories. for one. ugh silly coconut

According to the Hershey's website the fun sized (snack sized) are 160 calories for 2 pieces, not 220 for 1 piece. Now the regular sized candy bar is 220. If you pulled the calories from the MFP database, someone got them mixed up and entered wrong.

https://hersheys.com/almondjoy-mounds/almond-joy-snack-size
  • kaylasaurus
    kaylasaurus Posts: 45 Member
    Options

According to the Hershey's website the fun sized (snack sized) are 160 calories for 2 pieces, not 220 for 1 piece. Now the regular sized candy bar is 220. If you pulled the calories from the MFP database, someone got them mixed up and entered wrong.

https://hersheys.com/almondjoy-mounds/almond-joy-snack-size

I got this from the back of the bag of Halloween candy I bought. I am not sure if they are an irregular size but they look like the standard fun size. I would take a picture but I threw the bag out.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Ooohh. Soup has been a blessing for sure. I eat soup several times a week.

Salad dressing got a big "booooo" from me. Not even enough to make salad worth it. I'd rather have plain fresh veggies than a lame-o salad.

For salads, what I have been doing is making a vinaigrette in a squeeze bottle that I bring to work with me: half really good extra virgin olive oil, half really good balsamic, and a little dijon mustard to emulsify; fresh-cracked sea salt and pepper. I will get a big batch of mixed greens or romaine, put it on my scales, which I of course carry in my purse, and drizzle out 10 grams (about 45-50 calories) which is enough to give flavor to the entire batch when you toss it. There are variations you can do with lemon balsamic, pureed roasted shallots, etc. It's no quarter cup of Chunky Blue Cheese, but if using the best ingredients it's pretty awesome in and of itself.

I have tried a thousand vinaigrettes, home made and store bought and none of them make salad acceptable as a meal to me. I've had some luck with Bolt House dressings, but it's gotta be creamy (except thee blue cheese which is nasty).

I buy local made balsamic vinaigrettes! They are a little higher in sugar than plain vinegar, but they make an excellent salad dressing without all the junk of shelfed dressings. I don't even add anything else. I have a bottle of peach white balsamic, a bottle of white truffle balsamic, and a bottle of traditional aged balsamic. I also have a bottle of red wine vinegar my dad made before he died, I use that in salads sometimes with olive oil. I NEVER buy salad dressing anymore!
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The Bad: peanut butter, nuts, pears, pasta, cheese *wah*

The Good: Laughing Cow cheese, cauliflower, watermelon, shrimp, half and half *mmm*
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It was less foods for me (although the calories in a Clif bar were a surprise) and more the serving sizes.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah DEFINITELY nuts. Before I knew about calories I always thought I was being so health eating a cup of nuts instead of a pack of chips when the chips were like hundreds of calories less lol
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Should be 80.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bacon! Love me some bacon..not anywhere near the calories one would think! A small thing, but Cream in my coffee..a cup o joe goes from almosy no calories( maybe 2 for a cup of black coffee) to 30 or more calories a cup , depending on the lil bit of cream you add.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    shocked bad = cheese, although why I was shocked is a mystery--it's all fat, but so yum.
    shocked good = watermelon, peppers, cherry tomatoes--you can eat a lot of volume for not that much calories
  • drivennightrunner87
    drivennightrunner87 Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Cheese. An ounce of cheese is actually like 1/10th of what I used to consider a "serving".

ikr..."serving" doesn't even register in my mind when cheese is in front of me (especially havarti or sharp cheddar) /:
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    Fruit! Mangoes, apples, bananas... all calorie bombs :o

uhh...apples?! haha, whatever u say
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Good surprise: cheese-a serving was more than I thought once I started weighing it. Yay! Bacon-at 45 calories a slice, no need to give it up! Double yay! Dark chocolate-reasonable portions super manageable. Winning!
    Bad surprise: SODA. Didn't take me long at all to give that up once I realized the calories. Hummus. I thought it was healthy!!! Tomatoes: Still very manageable, but disappointing to find how many more calories they have than other vegetables.
  • acampbell520
    acampbell520 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you guys cook your green beans where they don't just taste blah?!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    How do you guys cook your green beans where they don't just taste blah?!
    lol very relevant