Gym Phobia

Options
Hi everyone! I know people post about this all the time and I sound like a broken record but I have true gym phobia. I absolutely will not and feel like I "can not" go into a gym where there is 10+ people working out. I have this fear that I will do something wrong and everyone will stare or laugh at me, or I look too fat, or I don't know what I am doing. I will try to if someone is with me, but still find it very hard.

How do you get over that? Do you have any tips to share what helped you or people you know? Its really getting in the way of my personal development because I know I could be so much more than this.. :-(

Replies

• TeddyK4975
    TeddyK4975 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Believe in yourself. Be there for you. Remember even gym rats started somewhere. If you have a question ask an employee. Gym atmosphere is not what it used to be.
  • danielalcuevas
    danielalcuevas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every time I go but what I do to make my self feel better is see videos on YouTube about how to use cardio machines or etc machine and then when I get there I see someone do it and I do the same thing they do so I get the reassurance that I am doing it right
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Maybe try your local YMCA? Ask them about least crowded times, and beginner instruction. I hate all gyms (or more like all gym equipment and people of any kind), but my sister much prefers the Y over other pricier ones - says the staff are friendly, helpful, and the people working out are more like her (she is 5'1" and 180.)

The website of my local Y has all kinds of helpful info - they even have a series of 101 classes actually designed for people new to that particular activity. They do personal and small group training too.
    https://www.ymcatriangle.org/programs-services/fitness/new-fitness
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    When I do something embarrassing, I laugh it off. Not a pretend laugh where I'm hoping nobody saw, but a sincere laugh because what I did was goofy and I kinda hope others got a chuckle out of it as well. If they see you and laugh, nothing is actually going to happen to you. If you do something that you think is wrong/doesn't match with what you've seen others doing, ask an employee, they are there to help and seem more than happy to do it. But like @tedmagmer said, believe in yourself. There's a motivational poster in my gym that says, "Believe in yourself and you're halfway there." Sounds simple and silly, but having confidence in yourself can really do wonders. Enjoy the gym!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I didn't, I bought an inexpensive elliptical and run at home. I can control what I watch on tv, and hop right in the show afterwards.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you can afford - and have access to - a personal trainer, that might help. (S)he can help you with form, so that you won't have to worry about doing something "wrong." (S)he can also advise you on a plan, so that you will know what to do when you get there.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Just remember that you are really not that special. you are not the fattest, the oldest, the youngest, the blondest, the nicest, the whatever-est there, and that really, other people dont give a red rats *kitten* about what youre doing, cuz they are there for the work THEY need to do. The times I have been to the gym in the past, everyone had their head down and was concentrating on their workout, and seriously - the queen could have walked in and no one would notice unless she failed to wipe down the equipment after she used it. I think you are making this a bigger issue in your head than it actually is, so give it a try and see how it goes. Recognize that what you are feeling is an irrational fear that can be overcome. And if people DO actually talk about you, whats the worst that could happen? Will you die? I think you are smarter than that.

This post is absolutely perfect and correct!

If you just can't get yourself to go when it's most convenient for you because you are afraid of there being too many people there at the time, then get up super early and hit the gym as soon as they open. For my gym, that time is 4am. I've gone at that time when I've had a wierd work schedule and still needed to get my workout in. There will still be people there, but not very many at all. And the ones that are there, I guarantee you they are there to knock out their workout and they won't be paying attention to what you are doing.

Be yourself. Do your thing. The hardest part is walking through the door. Once you're in, the rest is easy!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    After going to the gym myself, I can say that no one cares or looks at other people and thinks anything about them :) I weighed 270 lbs and was running around at the gym and doing weights, and I cannot say anyone ever stared at me. I saw people bigger than me doing the same and I cannot say I ever paid attention to them either. :) I think if you can take this into consideration, it may help you a little bit!
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to what others are doing....focus on what you're doing. You're merely one of the dozens of other regular people in the gym getting their workout in.

Even when I see someone do something "embarassing", trip over something, etc I don't laugh....they just tripped or whatever. Big deal. Who cares? (I just hope they didn't damage themselves of course)

Use the opportunity to experience being part of the solution....getting in there like others, and working towards your goal. Glancing around while resting between sets is a great way to get motivation. You yourself may be somebody's "goal weight/shape" just as you are right now!!! :)

Side note: I like the YMCA because their cardio machines have little TV's installed on them lol.....
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The TRUTH IS - NOBODY gives a Crap unless you drop something on them or spray yourself with so much perfume I have an asthma attack..
  • saramichelle89
    saramichelle89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you are really not that special. you are not the fattest, the oldest, the youngest, the blondest, the nicest, the whatever-est there, and that really, other people dont give a red rats *kitten* about what youre doing, cuz they are there for the work THEY need to do. The times I have been to the gym in the past, everyone had their head down and was concentrating on their workout, and seriously - the queen could have walked in and no one would notice unless she failed to wipe down the equipment after she used it. I think you are making this a bigger issue in your head than it actually is, so give it a try and see how it goes. Recognize that what you are feeling is an irrational fear that can be overcome. And if people DO actually talk about you, whats the worst that could happen? Will you die? I think you are smarter than that.

Sassy! Thanks. Will do.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

Oh YES...THIS!! Just GO!
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The best way to get through it is to just think about why you actually care what other people think of you. People in a gym are going to notice you, they see everyone pretty consistently that it is hard not to notice a new person. But just because they notice you, doesn't mean they care you are there. Get in there and do your thing. If you don't know how something works, ask someone (not while they are in the middle of a rep or on a machine, wait until they are between exercising) and most people are very friendly/helpful in a gym. We're all going through the same thing in a gym, trying for personal gains. Very rarely have I seen people not be helpful in a gym when asked, and more often than not, these are the ones who get interrupted mid-exercise.

If you can afford it, hire a trainer for a few sessions to walk you around and show you how to use the equipment with proper form. Make sure you ask people before you jump onto a machine they were using if you think they are just taking a breather. A lot of times in a busy gym, people won't mind letting you do a set between their sets while they rest if you ask, rerack their weights and wipe off equipment when you are done. Pretty simple etiquette will make sure no one cares you are there.

Oh, and most of us in a gym think we're fat. So that's the easy part, you're not alone there.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You just have to realize that everyone pretty much feels the same way - awkward. It's a weird situation and similar to speaking in public. It's unnatural because it has not become part of your routine yet.

Find a friend to work out with you or get a trainer for the first few sessions until it becomes part of your normal.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    A gym can be a fairly intimidating environment to enter, especially if you are new. Using a trainer will help get you into the actual gym, help you learn the in's and out's of how that particular gym works, and puts you on the right track to achieve your goals.