Premium for watching sodium intake?

Options
Hi guys! I need to watch my sodium intake. When I try to watch it on my own I end up eating hardly any sodium which makes my blood pressure drop.

Is Premium MFP good for this? I also would like to use it for weight loss too. But I'm wondering if it is worth the cost or would even let me do what I want to do, which is monitor/limit my sodium intake. I'm not working right now due to just having surgery and I also have severe water retention which has improved since surgery but salt reduction should help farther. Anyway, I would like to make sure its something needed before I ask my husband to spend extra money on it.

Premium looks like it has some very useful tools but I'm just not sure.

Thank you! And please feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You don't need to pay for Premium to track sodium. You can change which macro-nutrients you track in your diary by going to the "Food" tab and then click "Settings".
  • hoovified
    hoovified Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Aha! Thank you! I don't know why I was thinking sodium was not one of the options to track. IS there a way to change how much for my goal? I didn't see that on there.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it's on the "Goals" tab :smile:
  • hoovified
    Options
    Thank you! It is saying to change anything but my sodium I need the premium. I might just try it for a month and see how I like it.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    You can change it on the desktop very easily. I had premium free for a month and can honestly say it's not worth it.

Just go to your Food Diary, click the settings, and add it to your nutrients tracked.

Be careful with user made entries on sodium intake. As anyone can enter entries, many will have inaccuracies or completely omit sodium.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I would research the Heat Association and CDC recommendations for sodium intake ..and talk with your doctor.

Sodium in our food is off the charts. One one diet I went on that was very successful.. I cut out all sodium except natural sodium in foods. I never lost weight so fast. I used lime, vinegar, and red wine to flavor my foods..make everything from scratch..even condiments.

MFP had my set sugar intake double the amount recommended by the CDC when I checked it...so I wouldn't go by MFP numbers at all. Good luck and do your homework. .:)
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Also in case you didn't know it, looking at MFP on your phone, if you switch to landscape mode (turn your phone) it changes the display to show more columns for you.
  • hoovified
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have researched and my doctor is aware of me limiting my salt intake. Also thanks for the opinion on Premium. I will have to try turning my phone sideways or borrow my brothers computer. I hardly use a computer now that my phone does almost everything haha. I plan on eating a lot more whole foods. It's so hard... changing your entire life style. But I would like to continue to live so I have to do what I have to do. It seems I had a lot of blockage from gallstones, which my liver was not liking. My doctors had never seen anything like it before.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think premium is worth it. It's great how it drills down so you can see which foods are highest in what.... Including sodium. Really helps me tweak diet accordingly. Plus a bunch of other useful features.