Depression, anxiety and weightloss

Options
Hello :)
I wanted to post a thread on health and mental health. I have secretly (well not so secretly now) been struggling with mental health. As a result I've put on 2 stone in the year going from 9 stone to 11. This have knocked my cofidence completely and motivation and i find myself getting into a vicious cycle constantly. BUT I'm really trying to fight and the first step is to acknowledge it which I'm currently doing. I now wanr to tackle the health side and would really appreciate some motivation. Likewise i would live to motivate other in a similar postion too. I don't normally put myself out there but I really want to start living my lifr as living in a constant state of what feels like survival is exhausting. Thank you K x

Replies

• Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out and losing, I was pretty depressed. I have battled depression all of my life but this time it was differentbecause there were PP issues to deal with too. Long story short weight loss, daily activity and structure, along with fresh air and sunshine did me a lot of good, and I'm working on being a stronger healthier mommy. I hope it will do you good, too. Its not an easy road, but it's easier than being unhealthy and unhappy all of the time.
  • akilia112010
    akilia112010 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been depressed a lot more than usual lately so I'm also trying to battle that and losing weight at the same time. I kind of think that losing weight is the only thing that'll help me feel better about myself overall and not be so down all the time. I've gain about 50lbs in the last year because of this too. I was already overweight and now I'm in the morbidly obese category. Hopefully we all can make it and do better both physically and mentally as well.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I gained 70 lbs 4 years ago due to depression and the meds I was taking to combat it. I've managed to lose about 55 lbs of that. Some of that weight loss was due to more depression and not eating enough. I've subsequently lost a lot of muscle mass because of the rapid weight loss. Now I'm getting my meds straightened out and am working out more regularly. Starting to feel a bit alike my old self again. It is a vicious cycle but the first step is often the hardest. Once you get out there and start doing things that are healthy you will feel so much better.
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    For me regular vigorous exercise helps with the depression and with the weight. As hard as it is to get up and get started with the workout - I always have a better day when I do it, getting started is the hardest part.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Is there a mental health professional you can talk to for help with coping strategies?
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm the same as you, add me if you'd like :)
    Just got to set that one main motivation. And go back to it.
    I've also found in my bad depression points I've tried going to the gym when I'm upset to get my mind off it instead of eating the feelings away.
    As for anxiety, a 24 hour gym has worked wonders! This means to get in you usually use a code, you don't have to bump into any staff if you go past like 9pm (usually). And they're usually not busy past 8/9.
    It's also really good because when your depression keeps you up you can go to the gym to physically tire you so you can sleep or clear your mind
  • emeliamariea
    emeliamariea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My depression has been kicking my *kitten* this week. I'm thankful I am on antidepressants and am working with a therapist, but I know that working out & eating better will make me feel better- and have in the past.

That and sleep. The hard part for me is balancing when I need to sleep and when I need to go take myself to the gym.
    avygyaru wrote: »
    In case of zombie apocalypse, must be able to carry 80 pound son on my back +20 pound supplies in his backpack) and run like hell without being eaten alive. Must also be able to climb up things to sleep up high out of zombies' reach.

I love this so much. That's one of the reasons I starting working out again. I don't want to die in the first wave of the zombie apocalypse darn it!

• fslumb
    fslumb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is felicity, i have gone from Bulimic to Anorexic to binge eater to mummy! Gosh i feel ur hurt but recognising and trying to change is the biggest step in ur new life!! Add me if u like but the most important thing to recognise is that u have already made the first step!! Xx
  • Nakita369
    Nakita369 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The response from this threat is absolutely fantastic snd i just want to say thank you everyone who took the time out just to write to me whether it's to tell me ans bit of there story of to give me some tips. It's helped me to feel connect and helping me to keep acknowledge and hiding away from my difficulties. I'm hoping to kick mental health in the butt. I think I've been suffering for a while and being open is refreshing. It seem like exercise is help and the way forward. Any tips on getting started and getting into a exercise routine? x
  • Nakita369
    Options
    @fslumb thank you very much for replying I've add you and im so happy that you reached out its amazing how empowering feeling herd can be
  • sarahmchugh07
    sarahmchugh07 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you. I take one day at a time, one task at a time and try to look at the bright side of things as much as I can. It's so nice to see you put yourself out there is great. We are ALL her to support!
  • Nakita369
    Options
    @ameliamariea complete agree we need to be fit a ready for the zombie apocalypse. It's great to hear that's your are on medication and seeing a therapist I have recently reached out to a therapist myself and i'm finding it very helpful.
  • Nakita369
    Options
    @edena001 thank you very much for the reply maybe we can motivate each other? I have recently joined a 24 hour gym to and once I'm there I really love it it's just the getting there.... I have found it useful to go in thr evening. But sometimes I find the classes better because the extra pressure of being around other exercising helps. How often do you go to the gym?
  • Nakita369
    Options
    @avygyaru thank you so much for the humour. I think sometimes it ao easy to be down and let the negativity consume you. I Nedd to take a bot of your potive mental attitude and find a focus.
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Nakita369 wrote: »
    The response from this threat is absolutely fantastic snd i just want to say thank you everyone who took the time out just to write to me whether it's to tell me ans bit of there story of to give me some tips. It's helped me to feel connect and helping me to keep acknowledge and hiding away from my difficulties. I'm hoping to kick mental health in the butt. I think I've been suffering for a while and being open is refreshing. It seem like exercise is help and the way forward. Any tips on getting started and getting into a exercise routine? x

I just started. I started walking. When walking got easy, I started jogging a little. Then running. Then resistance training. Now I'm trying to add in some weights. Some days I have to just go without letting myself think about it because if I do, I'm afraid I'll quit.
  • hrush1889
    hrush1889 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi! First of all let me say you are very brave to acknowledge your struggle with mental health problems on here. As someone who has similar problems, I've found it hard to tell most people about it. I definitely think depression and anxiety can add to weight gain. After i was out of college and moved away I struggled with depression and anxiety more than ever and also put on about 25lb and had no motivation to do anything about it. I couldn't control myself even tho I hated who I saw in the mirror. But you are so strong in taking this step! I've been logging daily for about 4 months now and it has helped a lot. For me watching my diet and exercise has given me control back of at least part of my life and it feels great. My advice is to not stress about it too much as far as weight loss in the beginning, small steps like incorporating some healthy food items (doesn't have to be all healthy just a couple snacks you may like). And figuring out when exercise works for you. For me I can't find motivation or energy in the morning to make it to the gym, I usually go after work (at like midnight) or even just taking walks when you have time in your day will help. Being outside and having time to relax is key. Hope that helps!
  • emeliamariea
    emeliamariea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know that when I'm at home I binge watch tv. So, instead of binge watching it at home, I go to the gym and I'll hop on an elliptical or on the treadmill, set it to automatically change intensity every so often, and then watch my show either over wifi, or recently I discovered that Amazon Prime lets you download things onto devices and I'll watch those at the gym.

I'm doing what I would be doing otherwise, just working harder while doing it. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I go that day- it just matters that I'm doing it.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    For me, I had to take the time to not only acknowledge the depression, but to treat it and get back in a healthy mindset before trying to do anything else. That takes time, and it's okay. I couldn't focus on anything else besides that. Taking the time and effort to focus solely on my mental health helped me get to a good place where I could then feel confident in focusing my renewed energy elsewhere, like my diet and exercise.

Take your time, go slow, and be kind to yourself. This is a life-long journey and there's no rush to get to an imaginary end goal. There is no end goal. It's your life and your health.

Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out to those you trust in times of need. A good support system is so beneficial to your recovery. Best of luck!

P.S. I'll also add that while you are working on your mental health, buying cute new clothes that fit your new size will help your confidence in yourself. Personally, the depression was not helped by me feeling uncomfortable and unsexy in all of my ill-fitting clothes. And even though I had to buy bigger sizes, I feel so much better strutting around now than I did before. You deserve to feel good in any size while you work on yourself.