Question about eating back exercise calories

Options
MaiaDendinger
MaiaDendinger Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone- so this is my first time posting on mfp. I have been using mfp for about a month (I first downloaded the app a year ago but never really used it until now). It seems like a lot of people are saying really emphatically that you should not eat back your exercise calories you earn and I'm just curious about the justification for this. If people are working out really intensely and already on a low calorie limit, that seems sort of unhealthy. For instance, I only weigh about 125 (I'm 5'3") and I only want to lose 5 more pounds (I know I don't need to, it's just vanity weight) but because I am so small, I can only eat around 1200 calories a day if I want to lose close to a pound a week. If I burn 400 more calories through exercise, it seems like I really need those calories- partly because I want to be gaining some lean muscle, and partly because I don't want to slow my metabolism down by undereating too much. It seems like everyone recognizes that you shouldn't starve yourself by eating, say, only 700 calories a day, but people don't seem to realize you can still starve yourself by eating more than that but burning tons of calories on top of a deficit that you don't eat back. And I know some of the rationale is that people think mfp overestimates caloric burn... but I've been using mfp to log my steps and my elliptical workouts and eating back all those calories so that it's only a 500 or so calorie deficit, and I have definitely still been losing a pound a week, as planned (sometimes more from accidental undereating). So it seems accurate enough to be working for me.

I'm just curious about people's thoughts. And full disclosure- I'm especially concerned because I struggled with an eating disorder a few years ago; I started trying to lose weight at 148 pounds, got sort of obsessive about it, and ended up at 105 and starving myself. And I just know that being told back then that even though I was already reducing my calories, if I burned extra calories I still shouldnt eat them, would have been harmful to me. Whether you maintain a deficit by not eating, or by burning more, it's still a deficit, and it's not good to have too large a deficit, especially if you are already a small person.

So I'm trying to lose just a few pounds this time and do it healthily without going overboard again and seeing advice that encourages me to undereat even more was sort of confusing for me. So again, I'd just like to hear people's thoughts...

Edit: I want to add that I realize that for people who have more weight to lose and want to lose it faster, not eating back exercise calories can be a healthy way to speed up your weight loss- but it seems like advice that shouldn't be given without qualification- that maybe people with low body weights, low amounts of weight to lose, or really restrictive calorie limits (or all three) really should eat those exercise calories.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Most folks suggest eating about 1/2 to 2/3 of the calories back (and I agree). This is because the calorie burn estimates are generally high. You should experiment with this to see how accurate it is for you (if you lose too quickly, eat more - if you lose too slowly, eat less).
  • MaiaDendinger
    Options
    See, I've been eating all the calories back and still losing at the planned rate...so it doesn't seem like mfp is overestimating my caloric burn. Am i an anomaly?
  • dewd2
    Options
    See, I've been eating all the calories back and still losing at the planned rate...so it doesn't seem like mfp is overestimating my caloric burn. Am i an anomaly?

No. You just got it right the first time. :)

Good luck.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    If you already know through trial and error that your calorie goal and exercise burn estimates work for you, then go ahead. Most say eat only partial calories back because they haven't figured out their true burn yet and don't want to sabotage their weight loss efforts. They probably also have more to lose and can "afford"a larger deficit. As we approach our goal weight, we can no longer support those large deficits without jeopardizing our health. Your body will start to break down muscle, and your heart is a muscle.
    You probably also will not build any lean muscle while in a deficit. At best, you can try to preserve what you have by strength training, keeping a very small deficit, and eating enough protein.
  • MaiaDendinger
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Most folks suggest eating about 1/2 to 2/3 of the calories back (and I agree). This is because the calorie burn estimates are generally high. You should experiment with this to see how accurate it is for you (if you lose too quickly, eat more - if you lose too slowly, eat less).

I think the recommendation to only eat 1/2 or 2/3 does make sense, and I guess most people do say that. But there are some people who seem to be saying you shouldn't eat ANY of them back, which seems like it could be really bad advice for some people, depending on how much you burn (some people exercise a ton)
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

I think the recommendation to only eat 1/2 or 2/3 does make sense, and I guess most people do say that. But there are some people who seem to be saying you shouldn't eat ANY of them back, which seems like it could be really bad advice for some people, depending on how much you burn (some people exercise a ton)

That is bad advice. Some people are very aggressive with their weight loss however, and there's not much you can do to change their minds.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Yes, I agree. It is very bad advice to not eat at least some of the calories back. At some point you will pay with your health.
  • MaiaDendinger
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Hey,

You and I are pretty much the same height and weight. If you wanted to take a look at my diary you could go ahead and add me as a friend.

My maintenance cals are about 1570 (I think, I can't recall the exact amount right now), and to lose .5 lbs a week (which is pretty much what someone our size should aim for or else the amount of calories we can consume in a day is pretty low), I have to eat about 1350.

If you do add me, just know that I don't weigh my food so when MFP is showing that I've eaten about 1300, I have definitely eaten a bit more than that. Because of this, I tend to not eat my exercise calories back (also because when I exercise I only burn about 200 calories at a time).

Megan, I can't figure out how to add you as a friend haha but if you add me I know how to accept a request
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Are you mostly walking for exercise?

I think MFP is probably pretty close to the truth for walking. It's always about 2x reality for cycling for me. I think it depends on the type of exercise ... which means just cutting whatever number it says in half regardless probably isn't the best idea.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Not at all. The burn estimates worked pretty well for me, back when I was tracking everything. If it's working the way it's supposed to, then you're in really good shape. I'd suggest you keep doing what you're doing. If something changes, then perhaps (depending on any number of factors) you might want/need to adjust. But, until then, keep on keeping on.
  • MaiaDendinger
    Options

Are you mostly walking for exercise?

I think MFP is probably pretty close to the truth for walking. It's always about 2x reality for cycling for me. I think it depends on the type of exercise ... which means just cutting whatever number it says in half regardless probably isn't the best idea.

Yes, most days I just earn calories from my steps, but two or three days a week I'll use the elliptical or the stair stepper and it says I burn about 240 calories for about a half hour (which seems right to me, I'm going at a moderate intensity, slightly out of breath the whole time)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

That's because some people don't fully understand context. Context is (usually) critical in most calculations.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    For instance, I only weigh about 125 (I'm 5'3") and I only want to lose 5 more pounds (I know I don't need to, it's just vanity weight)

i was exactly here a few years ago. and i got the same 1200-a-day basic level from mfp.
    If I burn 400 more calories through exercise, it seems like I really need those calories

i would completely agree. i was burning a fair bit by doing a lot of cycling at the time, and also just starting out with 'heavy' lifting (for me). i didn't log the lifting because who even knows how, but i definitely ate back the exercise stuff. it wasn't just about the calories. i wanted the extra iron, potassium, calcium, protein, etc etc so forth.

it all sounds right to me. and for what it's worth, it worked really well for me while i was doing it. all that happened was that i got sick of logging and more interested in lifting weight than losing it, so after a couple of months i eased up on the restrictions and started eating to lift.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

No, you're likely just being more accurate in everything than many people are. I didn't really have any problems with most of MFP's estimates...I think a lot of people have issues because they aren't really able to accurately judge level of effort so they select "vigorous" or something...when in reality it isn't vigorous, they're just out of shape.

IDK...I think some things are more off than others...but I found walking and running and whatnot to be pretty ok.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

No not an anomaly at all. Same for me.
    The need for exercise calorie logging accuracy is over-stated massively on here - consistency is fine as long as your estimates aren't ludicrous.

Food logging inaccuracy plays a much greater role in people not creating the expected deficit but there's frequently a weird Puritan outlook about exercise calories which make no sense to me, almost as though they aren't a valid calorie need for your body.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

No taking a set percentage off an estimate doesn't actually make sense - that's a mathematical abomination!
    You don't make estimates more accurate that way, you just make them lower.

Taking one MET off the estimate makes some sense but it's a pretty trivial amount over the course of a week unless you are doing hours and hours of exercise.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't recommend eating back calories for a few reasons. The most important reason is it's difficult to estimate how many calories you are actually burning when you work out. Also, it depends on how much of a caloric deficit you want, as far as your diet. In other words, if your caloric target is only 5-10% below maintenance, you can work out pretty hard to up your deficit to 20% or more through activity. But if you are eating 20% or more through diet alone, you may want to consider just working out with less volume--I find that eating in a big deficit then adding activity to that causes me to want to over eat. Bottom line, for me I do a better job staying consistent if I eat within a narrow caloric range (few if any adjustments) and just exercise within a consistent range, and adjust from there.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone- so this is my first time posting on mfp. I have been using mfp for about a month (I first downloaded the app a year ago but never really used it until now). It seems like a lot of people are saying really emphatically that you should not eat back your exercise calories you earn and I'm just curious about the justification for this. If people are working out really intensely and already on a low calorie limit, that seems sort of unhealthy. For instance, I only weigh about 125 (I'm 5'3") and I only want to lose 5 more pounds (I know I don't need to, it's just vanity weight) but because I am so small, I can only eat around 1200 calories a day if I want to lose close to a pound a week. If I burn 400 more calories through exercise, it seems like I really need those calories- partly because I want to be gaining some lean muscle, and partly because I don't want to slow my metabolism down by undereating too much. It seems like everyone recognizes that you shouldn't starve yourself by eating, say, only 700 calories a day, but people don't seem to realize you can still starve yourself by eating more than that but burning tons of calories on top of a deficit that you don't eat back. And I know some of the rationale is that people think mfp overestimates caloric burn... but I've been using mfp to log my steps and my elliptical workouts and eating back all those calories so that it's only a 500 or so calorie deficit, and I have definitely still been losing a pound a week, as planned (sometimes more from accidental undereating). So it seems accurate enough to be working for me.

I'm just curious about people's thoughts. And full disclosure- I'm especially concerned because I struggled with an eating disorder a few years ago; I started trying to lose weight at 148 pounds, got sort of obsessive about it, and ended up at 105 and starving myself. And I just know that being told back then that even though I was already reducing my calories, if I burned extra calories I still shouldnt eat them, would have been harmful to me. Whether you maintain a deficit by not eating, or by burning more, it's still a deficit, and it's not good to have too large a deficit, especially if you are already a small person.

So I'm trying to lose just a few pounds this time and do it healthily without going overboard again and seeing advice that encourages me to undereat even more was sort of confusing for me. So again, I'd just like to hear people's thoughts...

Edit: I want to add that I realize that for people who have more weight to lose and want to lose it faster, not eating back exercise calories can be a healthy way to speed up your weight loss- but it seems like advice that shouldn't be given without qualification- that maybe people with low body weights, low amounts of weight to lose, or really restrictive calorie limits (or all three) really should eat those exercise calories.

with only 5lbs to lose you need to have your settings to lose .5(1/2) a lb a week, 1lb a week is too aggressive.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

No not an anomaly at all. Same for me.
    The need for exercise calorie logging accuracy is over-stated massively on here - consistency is fine as long as your estimates aren't ludicrous.

Food logging inaccuracy plays a much greater role in people not creating the expected deficit but there's frequently a weird Puritan outlook about exercise calories which make no sense to me, almost as though they aren't a valid calorie need for your body.

Puritans only denied the efficacy of eating back exercise calories on the Sabbath.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    rontafoya wrote: »
    Personally, I don't recommend eating back calories for a few reasons. The most important reason is it's difficult to estimate how many calories you are actually burning when you work out.

I know how many I'm not burning when I work out: zero.

I went for a short bike ride to drop some mail off. I don't know if I burned 97 calories, or 102. I'm ok with being 5 % off. But if I assume I burned zero, then I'm 100 % off! You're recommending people get it completely wrong because accuracy?
    Also, it depends on how much of a caloric deficit you want, as far as your diet.

Well, that's exactly right. If you want a 250 cal/day deficit, and then you go ignoring the exercise you do, your deficit is too high.
    you may want to consider just working out with less volume

But I really love riding a bike! :smile: Garmin and Strava both say I was the first person to ride a bike up Cascade River Road! Turns out a few other people have done it, but it was exciting at the time. And a great day. :smile: :smile: