Winter running socks

Options
Looking for advice on socks to wear while winter running. Preferably not with a crazy price tag (unless it really is worth it??) and no wool products. TIA!!

Replies

• Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Well, Smartwool socks are pretty amazing for winter. But you said no wool. They don't feel like wool.
  • HeathermRVT
    HeathermRVT Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    Well, Smartwool socks are pretty amazing for winter. But you said no wool. They don't feel like wool.

It's not the feel, it's the vegan thing. :/
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

It's not the feel, it's the vegan thing. :/

I had to google why that'd be a thing. I love my smart wool socks... But may rethink any further purchases. :cry:
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Vegan thing, you're choice. I was researching vegan socks and the only thing I found was cotton. That being said, be aware that cotton retains moisture which in turn saps heat from your feet (or other body parts that are covered in cotton). That is the reason I've always relied on wool to keep my feet warm in the winter. I am curious though. I would like to know what people have to say.
  • HeathermRVT
    Options

Didn't know this was a thing. I'm definitely going to have to check this out. thanks!!
  • Rocknut53
    Options

Kind of spendy, but they look awesome. My daughter had bamboo sheets and they were really soft and durable. I might have to test a pair this winter to see how they perform. Thanks for the link.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    when i was hanging out on bike-commute forums, people said the next-warmest fibre to wool was silk. guess that's off limits too?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your winters are typically milder than they are here in Ottawa, you could probably get away comfortably with the 2 layer synthetic wright socks they sell at MEC and Running Room (cheaper at MEC)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Vegan thing, you're choice. I was researching vegan socks and the only thing I found was cotton. That being said, be aware that cotton retains moisture which in turn saps heat from your feet (or other body parts that are covered in cotton). That is the reason I've always relied on wool to keep my feet warm in the winter. I am curious though. I would like to know what people have to say.

Do you know what they call novice hikers who haven't figured things out yet? "Johnny Cotton Socks."
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    OMG. I googled it too. I'll never look at wool in the same light again, but there are, I imagine farmers who shear humanely. I think I'll try finding some.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Bamboo makes for some very nice and soft shirts too. Don't know what it's blended with though.

OP - I use the same socks year round, running and hiking in the same styles.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Features and Swiftwick both offer synthetic socks in varying thicknesses. If warmth is your concern, I've had better luck with 2 thin pairs vs 1 thick, so perhaps layer your current socks as a first try?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I can't wear a thicker winter like sock in running shoes..I probably could if went up to wide or another 1/2 size in shoe.

I wear the same Feetures socks as I do in the summer.. never thought about needing anything more like an ankle or higher sock, seems uncomfortable.
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Do you know what they call novice hikers who haven't figured things out yet? "Johnny Cotton Socks."

:D I gave my boss a pair of nice socks for his birthday one year because he was complaining about his shins being rubbed raw in his steel toed work boots from wearing $6/6pack socks. Got him hooked. That's one item of clothing I splurge on because....happy feet.
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    OMG. I googled it too. I'll never look at wool in the same light again, but there are, I imagine farmers who shear humanely. I think I'll try finding some.

It's amazing how now that they've figured polar fleece contributes to micro plastics in our rivers and lakes people are going back to wool. Demand is going to do nothing but increase.
  • HeathermRVT
    Options
    The socks I wear now are all able socks so in addition to something warmer I was looking for something longer to get rid of the cold line between socks and pants.
    Lots of awesome answers here that I'll check out. Probably gonna be a bit of trial and error to find out what works for me.