Depression, anxiety and weightloss

2»

Replies

• Nakita369
    Nakita369 Posts: 18 Member
    @Okohme thank you for taking the time to respond. I feel that starting small is a good idea. What normally happens is i set my self up to fail because I say I'm going to do x y and z and don't end up doing anything. Maybe I will let myself a goal of attending at least one class a week at the gym and build up that way! Losing weight whilst suffering mental health feels 10 times hard everything feels and effort and everything feel slow. I'm struggling as i wanr to see result quickly as I know that will help improve my mood
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    First, there is no such thing as "starvation mode" that causes you to gain weight. Google "Siege of Leningrad". Google "Minnesota starvation experiment". When you eat too little, you can damage your metabolism by yanking your NEAT down. When you eat too much, you can likewise yank your NEAT up. If you want to lose weight, set your mfp weight loss goal to lose 0.5 or 1.0 lb per week and use the food diary to plan your meals precisely to reach the calorie goal mfp sets for you. Be advised that a prolonged calorie deficit greater than 500 calories per day will damage your metabolism. The longer and deeper you maintain a calorie deficit, the more damage you do to your metabolism.
  • Nakita369
    hrush1889 wrote: »
    Hi! First of all let me say you are very brave to acknowledge your struggle with mental health problems on here. As someone who has similar problems, I've found it hard to tell most people about it. I definitely think depression and anxiety can add to weight gain. After i was out of college and moved away I struggled with depression and anxiety more than ever and also put on about 25lb and had no motivation to do anything about it. I couldn't control myself even tho I hated who I saw in the mirror. But you are so strong in taking this step! I've been logging daily for about 4 months now and it has helped a lot. For me watching my diet and exercise has given me control back of at least part of my life and it feels great. My advice is to not stress about it too much as far as weight loss in the beginning, small steps like incorporating some healthy food items (doesn't have to be all healthy just a couple snacks you may like). And figuring out when exercise works for you. For me I can't find motivation or energy in the morning to make it to the gym, I usually go after work (at like midnight) or even just taking walks when you have time in your day will help. Being outside and having time to relax is key. Hope that helps!

This has definately helped thank you.I really appreciate how postive you were about me speaking out. That really means a lot. thanks to everyone I really can't say thank you enough. To be so well revived about something so private to me. It's a really big thing x I definately struggle with firstly being open and secondly being motivated. I have used play fitness pal before and have found it useful but this time around im struggling with not only losing weight but the depression and anxiety too. It really zaps my motivation and then i start comparing myself to a time where I really loved working out and healthy eating. I tend to get in lot of vicious cycle and then ruminate instead of taking action. I'm really trying to act instead of over thinking and this has been helpful at times.

I think im going to take your advice and try not to stress too much about weight. I gues just that I'm talking about it and making steps is a proactive thing and I just need to have faith that the rest will follow. Also I think I need to find out what works for me in terms of working our. I would love to attend morning spin classes but love the snooze button more!
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Nakita369 wrote: »
    @Okohme thank you for taking the time to respond. I feel that starting small is a good idea. What normally happens is i set my self up to fail because I say I'm going to do x y and z and don't end up doing anything. Maybe I will let myself a goal of attending at least one class a week at the gym and build up that way! Losing weight whilst suffering mental health feels 10 times hard everything feels and effort and everything feel slow. I'm struggling as i wanr to see result quickly as I know that will help improve my mood

I started really slow by trying to get 5,000 steps in a day, then 7,000 then 10,000. These days I walk/jog 4-6 miles a day, but it took me 8 months to get here. For a while I paced in my house a lot because I didn't want to go outside. I know how hard it is, I am sorry for your struggle. :( But wanting to make a change is a big step, and there are lots of people here who are in your corner. Do yourself a favor and take some measurements beforehand, and some pictures, it will be great for looking back and seeing how far you've come.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Hi. I have bipolar disorder (type 1).

I avoided medication for many, many year but finally had to give in to them 3 yrs ago (psychotic mania; there were robots).

Medications turned me from super fit and muscular to being overweight for the first time life. That has been an added complication to my mental health.

I am finally starting to lose some of the weight but am still a long way from my goal.

Feel free to add me (anyone here).
    I post a bit about my mental health vs physical health battle and trying to align the two, as well as general everyday things.

• SarahKay716
    SarahKay716 Posts: 13 Member
    Please friend me, in the same boat with bipolar/depression/anxiety. The weather change can intensify it, which is why the last few weeks have been awful for me, regardless of how much I try to motivate myself. You just need people in your corner.
  • gwenster89
    gwenster89 Posts: 48 Member
    "Any tips on getting started and getting into a exercise routine?"

thank you so much for posting this. the constant mental health battle makes trying to be healthy and lose weight SO MUCH HARDER. for me, on a bad mental health day, there's no way i'm getting off the couch or out of bed to exercise even though i know it'll make me feel a lot better. instead i eat and be lazy, which makes me feel worse. it's a total vicious cycle.

here's what's helped me so far:
    1) get an exercise app. i've been using runtastic results... i paid 10 bucks for a month just to see if i like it. the workouts are 20 minutes... really not that bad. i do them in the morning to get it over with.
    2) with this app, i can work out at home by myself in a sports bra and spandex. not feeling like i have to cover up and monitor my boobs popping out of my sports bra or my spandex riding down is SO nice.
    3) find some way to count your workouts. if you have a calendar, put a huge X on every day that you work out. or make one for yourself with positive quotes or something. just find some way that you can look back after a few days, then a few weeks, then a month, etc so you can look at it and be like "damn i worked out that many times." for me, feeling accomplished is motivating.
    4) start small! start with walks, or doing like 10 push ups, 10 sit ups and 10 squats four days a week. the following week, go up to 15 each. something that doesn't feel super intimidating.

i'm on here as a bit of a last ditch effort. i'm so tired of hating my body, and i know that my mental health has to come along with physical. so thank you so much for posting that and holler at me if you ever need support. i know i will!

xoxo
  • mdavis440
    mdavis440 Posts: 35 Member
    I suffer from major depression and anxiety as well. Was diagnosed 2 years ago and since then I have gained 40 lbs due to the meds and binge eating to feel better ( which it doesn't ). Some days are hell for motivation. I call it accomplishment if I manage to shower that day. I do talk a therapist regularly which helps. Weather changes affect me as well.

I have been finding though, eating healthier, exercising for 30 minutes a day and sleeping at least 7 hrs a night has helped me be more motivated to do things. I try to plan my meals ahead so when I do have a bad day, I don't need to think about food, just heat it up and go.

Hope this helps. Please add me if you want. I totally understand what your going through
  • mrsvaldez8
    mrsvaldez8 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I'm swimming in the same canoe! Bipolar 1 diagnosed 2 years ago this December. Just put on lithium and it seems to be doing great (
  • Hi Friends! Simply put- please do some research on what gluten does to the body & mind. Gluten causes inflammation in the brain & body. Studies have shown gluten free diets have a positive effect on mental health. I have worked several years with a dietitian & I worked in infant nutrition. After I gave birth, I had severe postpartum depression. My former supervisor recommended I go on a gluten free diet. OMG- it has been a life changer. It's been 7 months and I can't believe how amazing I am doing. You need to try it for about 3 weeks before u are able to see changes.
  • Nakita369
    Does anyone have an experience with obsessive compulsive personality disorder ?
  • monambi84
    monambi84 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello :)
    I wanted to post a thread on health and mental health. I have secretly (well not so secretly now) been struggling with mental health. As a result I've put on 2 stone in the year going from 9 stone to 11. This have knocked my cofidence completely and motivation and i find myself getting into a vicious cycle constantly. BUT I'm really trying to fight and the first step is to acknowledge it which I'm currently doing. I now wanr to tackle the health side and would really appreciate some motivation. Likewise i would live to motivate other in a similar postion too. I don't normally put myself out there but I really want to start living my lifr as living in a constant state of what feels like survival is exhausting. Thank you K x
    Hello :)
    I wanted to post a thread on health and mental health. I have secretly (well not so secretly now) been struggling with mental health. As a result I've put on 2 stone in the year going from 9 stone to 11. This have knocked my cofidence completely and motivation and i find myself getting into a vicious cycle constantly. BUT I'm really trying to fight and the first step is to acknowledge it which I'm currently doing. I now wanr to tackle the health side and would really appreciate some motivation. Likewise i would live to motivate other in a similar postion too. I don't normally put myself out there but I really want to start living my lifr as living in a constant state of what feels like survival is exhausting. Thank you K x

I am in the same place as you .
    And i am hopeful.. how are you getting along ?
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Hi! I also have depression and anxiety, in addition to an eating disorder :)
    Although I don't need to lose weight, I can relate to the struggles of having weight issues while also struggling with mental illness. *hugs*
  • jomariewill
    jomariewill Posts: 35 Member
    I have been overweight for most of my life. I am now 33 and finally found out I have bipolar 1, which includes depression and anxiety. Once I got on medicine I have started losing weight! Not because of a side effect from the medicine itself, but once you get your mind right, you can think more clearly and consciously make better decisions about what you eat.
  • kawinger
    kawinger Posts: 16 Member
    I know the struggle. Last year I gained 20 pounds because of anxiety and depression and I'm doing my best to break out of it now. I can offer you motivation and support!
  • Nakita369
    Happy new year all time to get back into health and fitness one reason I was feel low was due to hormone changes. I found I am pregnant so now it supper important to have a healthy body and state of mind
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    i see alot of females responding here but i believe a guy can shed some light to inregards to the struggle. I have been fighting anxiety the past 2 years and its been a fight to say the least. The problems with this has been the meds and the weight I gained from it. Yes the meds don’t automatically cause weight gain but it makes you hungrier. And just recently have I reached a goal of lowering my dosage. From 20mgs of celexa to now 10mg.

You can fight this and beat it. Taking meds regularly isn’t a bad thing but for me personally, I didn’t want to have it be the only cure of it. Message me for anything from support or tips.
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    lizery wrote: »
    Hi. I have bipolar disorder (type 1).

I avoided medication for many, many year but finally had to give in to them 3 yrs ago (psychotic mania; there were robots).

Medications turned me from super fit and muscular to being overweight for the first time life. That has been an added complication to my mental health.

I am finally starting to lose some of the weight but am still a long way from my goal.

Feel free to add me (anyone here).
    I post a bit about my mental health vs physical health battle and trying to align the two, as well as general everyday things.

This was me. I gained a lot in a very short time once i tried a few meds. The good thing is that there are medications which will work without weight gain, the trick is finding the right one. Topamax was supposed to be the miracle drug for me, but all it did was make me tired. Another one caused a 60 lb gain in 3 months.

After a lot of trial and error, Welbutrin seems to be the one for me. It keeps me focused, while the Prozac deals with the depression (bipolar 2 such fun!).

Listen for anyone out there, healthy eating and exercise will go a long way to helping you maintain your sanity BUT it can't always solve everything and exercising while depressed is hard. Who wants to get out of bed, or off the sofa when the world is crashing in? For stifling depression, please seek medical help and/or therapy. Don't let the "I don't need medication. I dont want to gain weight" keep you from being the best you can be. You will find the right medication if you need it. I resisted for years because i didnt want to hurt my creativity or take anything "unnatural." I regret those lost years. I'm now more creative and more productive than ever.