Hard to Keep Diet on Track

Options
With Halloween just passing (which means lots of extra sugary treats lying around) and Thanksgiving coming up, it's a nightmare for my diet. My diet is mostly consisting of apples and yogurt, I also drink lots of water, but with a bunch of junk food from my family lying around throws me off track. If you're having the same issue read on. If other family members have cookies and chips lying around tempting you, see of they'll start eating healthier, or at the very least hide it. Every time I start cutting weight, it all seems to come back when I ruin my diet. I also struggle getting a workout in, while excersizes are the most key component to losing weight, don't push yourself too hard, but make sure you're working out daily!

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Halloween is one day. Thanksgiving is one day. Christmas is one day. All those days in between you can stay on plan and in the end you'll be fine.

And exercise isn't the "most key component to losing weight". You don't need to work out at all to lose weight and certainly not every day.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    False.

Exercising is absolutely not the most important part of weight loss.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I have to say:

While it is nice to have others be mindful you're watching calories, asking them to change their habits is not you're place. You're the one that chose the different lifestyle, not them.

Apples and yogurt? You're not getting nearly enough protein. See the nutrients tab on your diary? Click it. Try to meet those nutrient goals it gives you. You should be losing 2 lbs per week max, and that's if you have a substantial amount to lose.

Thanksgiving, halloween, and Christmas do not ruin your journey. They're one day. Even if you go over maintenence that day, it's one. Day.

The only person responsible for what you do with your health is you. Not your family, not the great pumpkin, and not little Baby Jesus.

Stop over thinking this!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    18 yo male living off apples and yogurt? WRONG. The first thing for you to do is find a nutritionally balanced eating plan which satisfies your needs for the macronutrients of fat, protein, and carbs. If you're talking about cutting I infer that you have also bulked in order to build muscle. You're probably not getting enough fat or enough protein. Be humble, grasshopper, and learn.
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    How do you even live off apples and yogurt? Where's the protein and fat and carbs? This isn't just low calorie, it's just low nutrition.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    janekana wrote: »
    How do you even live off apples and yogurt? Where's the protein and fat and carbs? This isn't just low calorie, it's just low nutrition.

There's protein, fat, and carbs (lactose) in my whole milk yogurt, and carbs in my apples.
    I'm not advocating a diet of only two whole foods, no matter what they are, but if that's the route one chooses, one could a lot worse than apples and yogurt. I ate both today (along with a number of other foods), but if I had devoted my entire calorie goal to apples and whole-milk yogurt, I would have hit 121 g protein, 44 g fat (maybe a tad low), and 33 g of fiber (I don't actually track carbs, but it looks like about 77 g carb (lower than I would shoot for, but hardly a keto diet). I'd also get over 170% of the RDA for calcium, and 3135 mg of potassium (a little lower than I'd like, but since my sodium would be low, I'd probably be OK). (Calcium and potassium are the micronutrients I track in my food log.)