Not getting enough protein

Options
Hi everyone! Just looking on some advice on how to up my protein intake. I eat a very healthy diet and do eat some protein (egg for breaky, chicken in wraps) but i just can't seem to ever reach my goal of 77g/day. ALSO, should mention that I'm on a meal plan at my university.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal? Adding some protein through a protein powder is one option that would be easy to do even while on a university meal plan.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Vanilla whey protein powder blended with milk, almond milk, and a banana is awesome. I use EAS which you can get at Target. 25 g protein for 150 calories for the powder. Regrettably, you will likely have to use a shaker and leave out the banana if you don't have a blender.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I mix Greek yogurt, peanut butter and chocolate protein powder. It's delicious, 490 calories and that alone is 80g~ protein

(that's 500g of yogurt, you can put that down to whatever amount)
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Are you vegetarian?

If not, 77g a day is a cup of eggs for breakfast, a 4 oz. Chicken breast for lunch ,and roughly the same in chicken, fish or whatever for dinner. Done and done.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, protein bars. I mix protein powder into oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt, coffee, etc. I have a chocolate one I add a few tsp of milk to and make it into a pudding that I dip fruit in lol
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    That sounds like plenty of protein, but not sure what your goals are it's possible you aren't eating enough calories which could make meeting some macro goals difficult
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    I mix Greek yogurt, peanut butter and chocolate protein powder. It's delicious, 490 calories and that alone is 80g~ protein

(that's 500g of yogurt, you can put that down to whatever amount)

Ill second the greek yogurt and protien powder. I do 227grams and a scoop of protien 310 calories, 50 grams of protien.

Protien powder in general makes things easy.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    3 words: sardines, sardines, sardines
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Milk, yogurt (Greek preferably), cottage cheese, beans, lean meat, eggs. If you can afford them protein powders are good supplements.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I try to prioritize protein in each of my meals. If I am not having something protein-heavy, I'll make up for it with protein powder -- in my cereal, in a smoothie, etc. I've recently started sneaking some into my coffee by adding collagen to it (6 g protein) and a spoonful of protein powder (another 7 grams). It all adds up! You can also snack on cheese sticks, cottage cheese, beef jerky, hard boiled eggs...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I use shakes, whey powder, usually isolate. It's the only way I reach my protein goals. My breakfast usually consists of bran cereal with some fruit for fiber and a 60g shake made with protein isolate. Gets me started for the day and it's right after my workout in the mornings. Gives me a jump start on the day for protein, and even if I don't have a lot of protein the rest of the day it's enough to keep my muscles happy. ;P
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Nut butters, roast chicken strips, high-protein gelato
  • riches41
    riches41 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dont mean to jump in but i have the same problem and i do all the same protein shakes, oatmeal but still missing my target what else c asn i do
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods do they offer in the university meal plan? I've never had a meal plan but if it's standard cafeteria offerings such as sandwiches, soups, salads, perhaps a few main dishes - seek out meats to top a salad or a sandwich with some deli meats.

For in between class snacks, take some hard boiled eggs with you and eat them with some hot sauce or mustard. Cheese strings are also a nice portable snack. Cans/packets of tuna are not too expensive and can keep in your dorm room, if that's where you live.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Are you vegetarian?

If not, 77g a day is a cup of eggs for breakfast, a 4 oz. Chicken breast for lunch ,and roughly the same in chicken, fish or whatever for dinner. Done and done.
    Where are you getting that information from? It seems way off to me.

• EmilyCowlard2016
    EmilyCowlard2016 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese. 1/2 cup has 14 grams of protein and 81 calories :). I eat it everyday to hit my protein targets as well as vegan protein powder.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Feel free to take a look at my diary, it's open. I tend to get between 150-200g of protein a day. My diary is very repetetive as I pretty much eat the same breakfast Mon-Fri but my breakfast alone is 52g of protein. Here are some regular items for me:
    • Chicken (breasts, drumsticks, whole chicken) or any lean meats!
    • Eggs (hard boiled, cooked anyway, 'egg muffins'-eggs baked in cupcake tin with peppers, onions, sausage)
    • Cheese (String cheese)
    • Turkey Sausage, turkey pepperoni, turkey jerky
    • Bear Naked Protein Granola
    • Quaker Oats Protein Oatmeal
    • Shrimp (HIGH protein!)
    • Sliced deli meat (try to go for from the deli rather then prepackaged - Low Sodium)
    • Black beans, chick peas (recipe - Black beans, chick peas, red onion, cilantro, shredded chicken, taco seasoning)
    • Edamame
    • Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower)
    • Tuna (really any seafood)
    • Powdered Peanut Butter (or regular PB in moderation)
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese. 1/2 cup has 14 grams of protein and 81 calories :). I eat it everyday to hit my protein targets as well as vegan protein powder.
    low fat cottage cheese tastes really bad to me. My advice for anyone trying cottage cheese for the first time is to go for full fat first. It would be a shame to think you hate cottage cheese because of a fear of fat. It's only about 20-30 more calories for full fat per serving (113g ish) with the same amount of protein or close to the same. I don't have the numbers in front of me ATM.

I'm sure some people might like low fat more, but I had to force myself to eat it. Never again.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    riches41 wrote: »
    Dont mean to jump in but i have the same problem and i do all the same protein shakes, oatmeal but still missing my target what else c asn i do

What is your calorie goal? Are you exceeding your carb or fat macros significantly?