rice cauliflower freeze?

Options
mandahq
mandahq Posts: 88 Member
I hate making riced cauliflower pretty much every other day. I was wondering. Do you think it will freeze? Then ill just portion it out and pull out how much i need.

Replies

• JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't know about rice cauliflower, but I'd assume it'd work the same as chopped or whole cauliflower. It freezes well....but because it's riced and so small it may get a little mushy when you heat it up after it's been frozen. Great Idea by the way!
  • mandahq
    Options
    I don't know about rice cauliflower, but I'd assume it'd work the same as chopped or whole cauliflower. It freezes well....but because it's riced and so small it may get a little mushy when you heat it up after it's been frozen. Great Idea by the way!

thanks. wish i could take credit. My mom thought of it. And im not sure if mush would matter. Id strain it after so that might help. Im hoping lol
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    What is rice cauliflower?
  • mandahq
    Options
    What is rice cauliflower?

Its cauliflower shredded up to look like rice. you can use it in stir fry, by itself, I have a recipe that uses it as a pizza base. It says you ALOT on calories.
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    Does it taste good?

I like the old trick of mashing cauliflower instead of potatoes...
  • mandahq
    Options
    I did notice a difference when eating the cauliflower with butter and soya sauce but it did taste good. Im a HUGE rice fan. But Im going to start eating more cauliflower to cut back on calories.... as for it being the pizza crust it was very good. I will be using that recipe every time i make pizza
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You can just put rice in a food processor if you have one and chop it up. Put it on a plate and heat it up (don't add water) for I don't know....40 seconds or so and you have rice....without the calories....

It's common with the 17 Day Diet...the recipe for the pizza crust is easy to find, just google it.
  • mandahq
    Options
    I use it for the pizza crust. I was wondering if I could freeze it. I hate using my food processor. Its old and noisy and bugs me lol
  • weehah
    weehah Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I buy it already riced at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. It is SOOOOO GOOD.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    It will absolutely freeze. I buy the frozen caulirice at TJs and its the only one I use. If they are out of the frozen, I just buy the bagged caulirice in the produce section and throw it in the freezer when I get home. Its exactly the same.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    weehah wrote: »

Tastes exactly the same as regular cauliflower chopped up, I would imagine. Which is how I prepare my cauliflower because (1) I'm lazy, and (2) I think bigger pieces are preferable texturally than little bitty pieces or mashed, and the flavor is more obvious to me. I don't get this excitement about making cauliflower look like other foods.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have frozen uncooked cauliflower rice. I usually put flat in freezer bags on a cookie tray for about 15-30 minutes and then stack it flat. I love the cauliflower crust pizza, but loathe the process of making the rice. It comes out fine. What I actually want to do is try experimenting with freezing the crusts and see if those maintain quality.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I saute/season it and freeze it for meal prep - with stew or stir fry in the other half compartment.

I also freeze it uncooked in a bag so I can cook it when I'm home.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Tastes exactly the same as regular cauliflower chopped up, I would imagine. Which is how I prepare my cauliflower because (1) I'm lazy, and (2) I think bigger pieces are preferable texturally than little bitty pieces or mashed, and the flavor is more obvious to me. I don't get this excitement about making cauliflower look like other foods.

The excitement comes from using it in place of other foods and saving a ton of calories.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The excitement comes from using it in place of other foods and saving a ton of calories.

The claim I was responding to was that it tasted so delicious, as if it was somehow tastier than regular cauliflower.

I don't get the using it in place of others things thing, but I know that really appeals to some. If I don't want to eat rice (and I don't that often), then I eat other things, I don't pretend cauliflower is rice. Same with mashed potatoes (and potatoes don't really have that many calories if eaten in a reasonable amount). Do I sometimes skip the starch course and have winter squash or cauliflower or some lower cal root veg instead? Sure, but I don't see why cauliflower seems to be more exciting in these threads if chopped up into teeny tiny pieces and called "cauliflower rice" vs. as cauliflower. It's almost as if people don't really enjoy cauliflower for itself, but for its ability to look similar to other foods that aren't so essential they have to be replaced if you don't wish to eat them.

I know I'm being a crackpot, a bit. The substitution thing just seems odd to me.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Well, I use spaghetti squash with my usual Ragu sauce and parmesan for a much lower calorie meal. It's the sauce I like but it needs to be ON something.

I just bought cauliflower "rice", stopped at Trader joes this morning and saw it. Not sure what I'll do with it yet but I don't think anyone is fooling themselves that its actual rice, just rice shaped, sometimes the shape and texture is important to enjoy a meal. And yes it can taste "better" because the tiny pieces will have more flavor with whatever you season it with, then a big hunk that only has flavor on the outside and its almost flavorless on the inside.

I'm on 1200 calories, every calorie counts. There is no room for high carb pasta in my diet since there is little nutrition in it, unless I work out. If I'm going to get a good dose of carbs it will be in the form of lentils or something else with more nutrition in it.

Anyway, stir fry is a great idea, I also happened to buy some snow peas, multicolored carrots and butternut squash, I know I have some low sodium soy sauce somewhere.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I freeze all the time!! You can also buy it frozen in bags.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I freeze my riced cauliflower but do notice that it needs to be wrung out after thawing

Dont thaw. Just throw it frozen into the pan. The water will simply cook out.

I find the best texture I get from baking. I spray tin foil with cooking spray, put frozen (or fresh) on in a thin layer, bake 415 fluffing a few times. The texture is exactly like rice.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    the tiny pieces will have more flavor with whatever you season it with, then a big hunk that only has flavor on the outside and its almost flavorless on the inside.

Not my experience, but then I like plain cauliflower a lot (more than rice).