Trying out IIFYM to beat overeating

Options
Hi everyone so for the past few months I have been overeating and some days bingeing. I have gained back some weight and feel uncomfortable about my weight gain! Pls add me for support and any advice on how to successfully use IIFYM to lose weight?

Replies

• ambridget2
    ambridget2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with overeating at times. I have gotten better. I am not sure I can help other than just being here to talk and to take this weight loss journey together. I have been off MFP for a while but I am committed once again. Friend me if you like
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone so for the past few months I have been overeating and some days bingeing. I have gained back some weight and feel uncomfortable about my weight gain! Pls add me for support and any advice on how to successfully use IIFYM to lose weight?

I don't know much about IIFYM other than that the Y can stand for both "your" and "some arbitrary".

Eating in a way that suits you is important. There may be many different suitable ways to eat for each individual. You just have to find and implement and stick to one.

For someone prone to overeating and bingeing, it's important to reduce the urge to overeat and binge. Some kind of structure to your eating habits and food environment seems to be critical. Some people do well with a strict structure and even cutting out certain foods, others need to just have a few loose rules. No matter what, your mindset has to change into that of someone who does not habitually overeat.

I have successfully lost 50 pounds and been maintaining for two years following these easy (for me) rules:
    I eat meals, and only at meals.
    I plan full and balanced meals, composed of normal, ordinary food in a great variety and in appropriate amounts.
    I wait until I am pleasantly hungry before I eat.
    I only eat food I like, and never food I don't like.
    I don't buy foods I can't moderate.

And my "master rule", which is very important: I will make exceptions whenever I see fit, but not so often that the exceptions stop being exceptions and start being rules.

Other important stuff to make your body systems work like they're supposed to:
    Get enough sleep and rest.
    Do something fun and rewarding and kind and difficult and silly and important every day.
    Manage stress and relations.
    Get moving, but don't overdo it.