Who do I trust?

Options
I've been weighing myself daily for about a month. I went to the gym for the first time and it put me 5lbs heavier than my scale at home. I almost cried. (Not really) Somebody lied and I don't know which one to trust.

Replies

• cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'd go with your home scale. There are many factors that fluctuate our weight throughout the day. Ingesting solids and liquids, elimination of waste, daily metabolic processes can IIRC change the scale number as much as 4-5 lbs over the course of a day. What matters is the downward trend of your scale weight. I totally ignore the scale at my gym and only use my digital scale after waking up and using the restroom (and prior to eating & drinking).
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    The clothes weigh a lot. Plus if you had any fluids that can add to the weight. Weigh yourself with the same clothes every day preferably after you use the bathroom but before you have beverages or food. The scale can easily vary a few pounds up or down daily. Don't let that get you down. Try not to focus on daily fluctuations but look at the downward trend over time.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Tonyrebuilt Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at home first thing in the morning, in a t shirt and shorts, after I go to the bathroom. At the gym I did have shoes on and I had eaten not too long before. That makes more sense. Just a bit shocking.
  • xDesertxRatx
    xDesertxRatx Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ask the gym when they were last calibrated. My gym has them done every 6 months. If they are calibrated often then the gym ones will be the correct ones. Just weigh your usual clothes and take it off to give you an idea of actual weight. Of course you can calibrate your own scales if you have something that is a known weight.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Yeah. You could weigh yourself right before you leave your house and immediately when you arrive at the gym. Then if there is a discrepancy you will know for sure.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at home first thing in the morning, in a t shirt and shorts, after I go to the bathroom. At the gym I did have shoes on and I had eaten not too long before. That makes more sense. Just a bit shocking.

That's your answer.

A litre of water weighs 2.2lbs whether its in a bottle, or in your stomach.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ask the gym when they were last calibrated. My gym has them done every 6 months. If they are calibrated often then the gym ones will be the correct ones. Just weigh your usual clothes and take it off to give you an idea of actual weight. Of course you can calibrate your own scales if you have something that is a known weight.

Not how it works really

Calibration is subject to usage ..Gym and med centres are heavily used so more prone to being inaccurate
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

How would you know that the scale it was weighed on to establish it's "known weight" was accurate? It's also not terribly relevant to weigh something like a 5 or 10 lb. dumbbell and extrapolate the results to a 150 lb. body because a 0.2 lb. error at 5 lbs. doesn't necessarily mean it's also a 0.2 lb. error at 150 lbs.

I step on one scale and one scale only. If you're going to weigh on different scales, at different times of the day and in different clothing, you may as well just toss it all out, go the circus and let the dude in the sideshow guess your weight for weigh-ins.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

How would you know that the scale it was weighed on to establish it's "known weight" was accurate? It's also not terribly relevant to weigh something like a 5 or 10 lb. dumbbell and extrapolate the results to a 150 lb. body because a 0.2 lb. error at 5 lbs. doesn't necessarily mean it's also a 0.2 lb. error at 150 lbs.

I step on one scale and one scale only. If you're going to weigh on different scales, at different times of the day and in different clothing, you may as well just toss it all out, go the circus and let the dude in the sideshow guess your weight for weigh-ins.

Actually the side show folks are pretty good at guessing:).
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Thank you for this - no one recognizes that scale errors actually vary with weight range (llike all measuring devices do).

There's also the fact that using a small weight to "calibrate" your scale won't help because the precision is likely not fine enough to capture a small percentage difference in a small object. Very few home scales actually can accurately measure tenths of a pound differences....

In other words, for the OP? Chill out. Scales are imperfect tools. Pick one and use it to track your progress. Progress can only be tracked consistently if you use the same measuring tool every time. Don't switch tools.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. The scalar value isn't what matters, it's whether that value is trending upward, downward or staying the same over time. To determine that you just pick a scale that is convince ntm for you and stick with it....just be consistent.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing myself daily for about a month. I went to the gym for the first time and it put me 5lbs heavier than my scale at home. I almost cried. (Not really) Somebody lied and I don't know which one to trust.

I usually weigh about 4-5 Lbs heavier on the gym scale than my home scale...for one, at home I weigh in first thing in the morning after I drop a bomb...when I weigh in at the gym, it's later in the day...I've consumed food...I've consumed liquids, etc...all of that has mass and thus weight that would show up on the scale. When I weigh in at home i'm not clothed...when I weigh in at the gym, I'm clothed...your clothes have weight that will show up on the scale.

You need to chill...the number really isn't important...the trend is.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    They both lied. It's like politics. Pick your S.O.B. and stick with it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Every scale is different. To see how correct they are you could put a weight on it.
    Regardless, you want to stick to one scale and weigh under the same conditions, time of day. Then you can see your progress from your start weight on that scale.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I would concur with the above. Although -- let me just throw this out there because it did happen to me -- how old is your own scale? I had one that went totally out of whack probably due to age and nothing was consistent.

Otherwise, pick when you're going to weigh yourself, a consistent time, etc. And if the numbers are going down, that's good. When I last went to my doctor's hers had me at 2lbs higher than my home scale, but I had on clothes and shoes and stuff.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It's better to just weigh on the same scale because everywhere is different.