Weightloss sizes

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think we should all start a class action against clothing designers and manufacturers for time lost trying to figure out what size we are. If only there were standard sizes. (Sorry, I know this isn't the question that the OP asked....I got sidetracked reading all the answers.)

It would just be so hard to do for women. It has been attempted but we vary so much that it would still mean things only fitting one small group of women properly. As it stands, at least manufacturers can have ratios for a target market. If you find someone who makes for your shape bingo!
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I started out as a US size 14. I didn't buy clothing for each size I dropped because it didn't look super baggy on me. I lived in fitness clothing for four months. I was in desperate need of clothing and remember a wonderful shopping experience. I tried on a US 10 and need a US 8. A big happy dance was done in the dressing room :D Overall 48 lbs lost put me in a US size 4.

So I do agree you can tend to hang out in larger sizes for awhile without noticing a need to drop sizes. My measurements went down but clothing is a cover up. Or it may just be how we see ourselves. When you end up falling into the smaller body shape, you then start to notice too much room in the shoulders or arm pit area. You notice, you can fit a fist in to your waist band. ha ha At least this is what I've noticed.

Keep at it girl! You have done an amazing job so far. UK 10 goal is in place now go and get it ;-) Great luck to you!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    emayc24 wrote: »
    So is it the more weight you carry, the more you have to lose to go down a dress size, I started at a large size uk 18. And now I'm just fitting in to large Uk 16s. I started my new lifestyle around 5 months ago, curious to how long it has taken you guys to go a size?and also the smaller I get will it be easier to get in to large 14s or the same amount as Time? :) ive lost around 3 stone so far with nutrition and fitness, I've had setbacks as the first couple of months In I got sciatica then gallstones so has been a nightmare. I've worked hard though :) the plan is to get to a uk size 10 by April.

I wouldn't go by clothing sizes to honest since most manufacturers nowadays vanity sizes clothing. At my smallest I could fit into pant sizes ranging from a size 6-12.

For me it seemed that after every ten pounds lost I would need to buy new pants. The worst was when I was going from a women's 16W & found the 14W's were too big & the regular women's 14's were too small.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    It's worth noting that I'm tall, so I have a lot more body area to lose weight from, resulting in smaller overall changes than a much shorter woman may experience. I'm just into size 8 now (28" waist, 37.5" hips) at 5 feet 9 inches, 165 lbs. I had a 30" waist and 39" hips 30 lbs ago! But I dropped a band size on my bra and a full cup size as well, and my thighs are almost 4" smaller each. I am not aiming to lose much more, but even if I lost another 20 lbs I seriously doubt I'd see size 6 as my stomach is pretty flat and my
    hipbones are now easily discerned and I have a flat behind... there's just not a lot there to lose. My thighs still hold fat, as does my bosom, but these areas just won't put me into smaller pants.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    LynnBBQ72 wrote: »
    I carry all of my weight in my belly. I started at 222 lbs in a tight U.S. size 22W pants. I've lost 22 lbs and fit into a size 18 regular now, so 22 lbs on me = 3 sizes. And the 18's are baggy in the legs so maybe 5 more pounds and I'll be in a 16. I'm 5'5.5" so I look at others who are wearing size 16's and they weigh a lot more than I do... and I am amazed at how we all carry our weight differently.

I find this amazing too.

At my heaviest near 240, I never wore above a (sometimes excruciatingly tight) US18. I'm only an inch taller than you at 5'-7"ish. Now at 205-210, I'm consistently wearing US16.

However, even at my lowest last year at 195, I still wore US16, possibly flirting with US14 for dresses. Over 40lbs and very little movement in my pants size. I'm sure I was just losing more in my upper body, but I keep holding out buying new clothes thinking I'll need a different size soon.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly consistent. For me, one size is 20#'s lost.
  • Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    I started a US size 12, lost 30 lbs and decided I needed to get rid of my baggy clothes and get new. I fit into a size 2. I think it depends what you're starting weight is and where you hold your weight.

This is incredible to me. I wore a size 12 at 195 lbs.

I am 166 and just barely fit an 8 (sstadard size), still need a 10 top (and sometimes a 10 bottom / 12 top! )

Same 30 lbs from a size 12. Very different outcomes.

I am 5'5 and stared at a size 12 at 164 lbs. After losing 30 lbs i wear a size 2 of the same brand and same style. Went from a medium to large to to a small
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    suzeqnu wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that the standard is about every 20lbs you drop a size. I'm glad this question came up. I've always wonder if it was different for others. My arms always keep me from dropping shirt sizes. :(

I find that losing 10 pounds drops a pant size with USA regular ladies department clothing. But I keep the same shirt size because of my shoulders.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I started a US size 12, lost 30 lbs and decided I needed to get rid of my baggy clothes and get new. I fit into a size 2. I think it depends what you're starting weight is and where you hold your weight.

I am 166 and just barely fit an 8 (sstadard size), still need a 10 top (and sometimes a 10 bottom / 12 top! )

LOL. I'm 135 and I wear size 8. Most people would call me thin or even skinny. Amazing! I start to look sickly if I get thin enough to fit below a size 6. I guess it's all in the bone structure.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I am 5'5 and stared at a size 12 at 164 lbs. After losing 30 lbs i wear a size 2 of the same brand and same style. Went from a medium to large to to a small

Conversely, I'm 5'5, currently 167 and a UK 12/ US 8. Nowt so queer as the human body!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    These posts are so interesting. I started out at 184 and size 12 jeans-not exactly too small but lots of midsection puff out:(
    Today at 160, I'm in a 10 so for me it's 24 pounds/ one size.
  • saralukies
    saralukies Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    These are interesting! I am 6 feet tall, so my proportions are much different from most women. I weigh 191 right now, and fit into a size 14 as long as it is a "curvy" cut, since I carry almost everything in my butt. I hate buying pants, since most don't fit correctly. I call it "gap-osis", where pants that fit in the hip/butt area leave a huge gap at my waist. Belts just look ridiculous, like a paper bag. I have been as low as 178, and that was a size 12, but I look quite thin at that weight. Going for 185 this time, which should give me a nice figure without having to work too hard at maintaining. Not sure if I will be a 12 at that weight, depends on the brand, I guess.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If it took you 5 months to lose one size, then do you think it's realistic to lose 3 sizes in another 5 months? To me that sounds like a recipe for disappointment. A realistic goal would be 1 size in the next 5 months. Are you making some kind of extreme change to your plan that is going to triple your results?
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    saralukies wrote: »
    These are interesting! I am 6 feet tall, so my proportions are much different from most women. I weigh 191 right now, and fit into a size 14 as long as it is a "curvy" cut, since I carry almost everything in my butt. I hate buying pants, since most don't fit correctly. I call it "gap-osis", where pants that fit in the hip/butt area leave a huge gap at my waist. Belts just look ridiculous, like a paper bag. I have been as low as 178, and that was a size 12, but I look quite thin at that weight. Going for 185 this time, which should give me a nice figure without having to work too hard at maintaining. Not sure if I will be a 12 at that weight, depends on the brand, I guess.

Someone my height!!! It's a miracle!!! I will add my two cents here although I am heavier than you. I currently weigh 280 and am wearing a loose 20. When I weighed 235 in recent years, I was wearing a 14. Crazy! Just goes to show that clothing sizes are weird and bodies are all different.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25 lbs and that resulted in jeans that were 2 sizes below my starting size (went from a Torrid 16 to a 12). And I bought the exact same jeans at the exact same store, so it should be fairly accurate.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    These posts are so interesting. I started out at 184 and size 12 jeans-not exactly too small but lots of midsection puff out:(
    Today at 160, I'm in a 10 so for me it's 24 pounds/ one size.

If the 12s were so tight that you were getting muffin top puff over, then you were probably actually a size 14? In that case it would be likely to be a 2 size drop down.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Over a 50-ish pound difference in my adult life from lowest to highest, I've never worn smaller than a 14 or bigger than an 18. Okay, I've got a couple 20s, but they were bought oversize on purpose and were baggy when I bought them.

I'm 5'10" and carry my weight mostly in my hips and thighs.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    5'8" 248= US size 14, 191= US size 8
    I've found that as sizes get smaller the amount of pounds between sizes is smaller as well.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    This is so very complicated. I'm 5'8. I started at a size 22. It took me 30lbs to drop a size in jeans. 107lbs later, I can squeeze into size 8 skinny jeans, and it feels like I've just got into my 10's. However, I know someone my height who is 20lbs lighter than me, and just getting into an 8. Body shape, muscle mass, frame...it's going to make a difference.

Honestly my advice is just to focus on yourself and your accomplishments. Once I stopped searching for answers on clothing sizes, comparisons of height/weight at goal, things like that, the more I could focus on being happy with my progress. The time on this journey started flying by after that.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Is the UK any better than the US for standard sizing? Even when I was thinner, I could be anywhere within 3 sizes dependent on the brand/designer. It also seems to be dependent on the type of material. And I have no real sense of where I will be at my goal weight. Last time I was there I was consistently in a US 12, but who knows now. That was so long ago...