Increased protein=water retention?

Options
I've gotten somewhat seasoned at this weight-loss thing, losing 55 pounds in the last 11 months so I'm fairly familiar that this process is not linear. With that being said, I've recently increased my protein intake in the last four days by about 30 to 40 grams. Even though I'm on my menstrual cycle I seem to be up about 3 1/2 pounds since Sunday fairly consistently. Could the increased protein be causing water retention? Thanks for any input.

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm on my menstrual cycle I seem to be up about 3 1/2 pounds since Sunday t.

You answered your own question. Protein is not likely to cause water retention.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm on my menstrual cycle I seem to be up about 3 1/2 pounds since Sunday t.

Agreed. However, extra protein can cause more waste in the body. You may want to start making sure you're getting adequate fiber as well when upping your protein intake, and keep your water levels up. Beyond that, I'd say it's not the protein causing it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Did you start consuming the protein shakes you talked about in your other thread? Just curious if you are having some bloating with those?

You are concentrating on macros now right? Usually if you increase protein and perhaps decrease carbs this would have an opposite effect.

So I am going with its your period and possible the shakes if you are not used to drinking them.. Are you staying hydrated as well?
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i gain a minimum of 5 lbs during my cycle...minimum
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Did you start consuming the protein shakes you talked about in your other thread? Just curious if you are having some bloating with those?

You are concentrating on macros now right? Usually if you increase protein and perhaps decrease carbs this would have an opposite effect.

So I am going with its your period and possible the shakes if you are not used to drinking them.. Are you staying hydrated as well?

Yes, I did start supplementing with the protein shakes. I would normally agree with everyone else that it's due to my cycle, but this doesn't typically happen to me. I'm usually at a lower weight "during.".

I stay pretty hydrated but may need to up my water intake to see if that helps balance it. Also, I'm been a bit of a Miss Piggy with some Halloween Candy (not going over calories) so my carbs/sugar could be another reason.

I'm really trying to focus on the macros, but am having a difficult time. While I've lost a significant amount of weight, I'm fatty/flubbery. I know I need to start with a good lifting program in the very near future, but am doing the best I can to adjust other areas in the meantime.

I appreciate your response, thank you.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options

I am typically at a lower end of my weight "during," but I'm not disagreeing this could be a part of it. I was just curious as I've not experienced it before. You don't know if you don't ask. : )

Agreed. However, extra protein can cause more waste in the body. You may want to start making sure you're getting adequate fiber as well when upping your protein intake, and keep your water levels up. Beyond that, I'd say it's not the protein causing it.

Thank you. I'll do my best to up my water today. I'd agree that extra waste may be causing some of it as my stomach feels very "full."

Thanks everyone. As I said above, I was just curious. I haven't played with my macros since starting this journey so I have a hard time knowing what's normal and what's not.
  • kjwasmund
    kjwasmund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I started eating more protein, I retained water for a few days. Make sure to drink more water. Also, are you cutting carbs? If you are increasing protein without watching something else, you could be taking in extra calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Yes, I did start supplementing with the protein shakes. I would normally agree with everyone else that it's due to my cycle, but this doesn't typically happen to me. I'm usually at a lower weight "during.".

I stay pretty hydrated but may need to up my water intake to see if that helps balance it. Also, I'm been a bit of a Miss Piggy with some Halloween Candy (not going over calories) so my carbs/sugar could be another reason.

I'm really trying to focus on the macros, but am having a difficult time. While I've lost a significant amount of weight, I'm fatty/flubbery. I know I need to start with a good lifting program in the very near future, but am doing the best I can to adjust other areas in the meantime.

I appreciate your response, thank you.

If you went over carbs (higher than normal), this can cause water weight gain.. So over carbs = water retention and if you started the shakes too in the mean time, it could all of these..

Never rule out period stuff .. we can change on a dime when it comes to that and if you have varying factors described, it might be what I call a perfect storm on the body weight scale..
  • trigden1991
    Options

Almost added that into my response as well actually.
  • burtisfamily7
    burtisfamily7 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I eat too much meat protein, I don't gain "water" weight, but I do gain weight, Its a lot for digestion, and it ferments in your gut, so bloating, gas (even if you don't feel bloated) I always balance out lots of protein with good carbs with lots of fiber! And lots of water to help flush.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    kjwasmund wrote: »
    When I started eating more protein, I retained water for a few days. Make sure to drink more water. Also, are you cutting carbs? If you are increasing protein without watching something else, you could be taking in extra calories.

I've probably consumed a few more carbs than normal due to my laffy taffy intake. : ) I quit drinking about 3 months ago and my sugar cravings are through the roof. Add leftover Halloween candy and I've eaten more sugar than normal. With that being said, I track EVERYTHING and am remaining at calorie goal. I will make sure to drink more water. I typically consume about 10 cups of hot tea a day, but am NOT good at drinking pure water.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I've probably consumed a few more carbs than normal

Increased carb consumption will usually lead to an increase in water retention as you store glycogen.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    That should have said I quit drinking 3 weeks ago, not 3 months. Sorry.
  • trigden1991
    Options

I've probably consumed a few more carbs than normal due to my laffy taffy intake. : ) I quit drinking about 3 months ago and my sugar cravings are through the roof. Add leftover Halloween candy and I've eaten more sugar than normal. With that being said, I track EVERYTHING and am remaining at calorie goal. I will make sure to drink more water. I typically consume about 10 cups of hot tea a day, but am NOT good at drinking pure water.

And now there is your real answer. You had more carbs from sugary candy!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Can you explain how extra protein causes more waste? Do you mean too much protein can cause constipation?