Workout Partner Dragging Me Down

Options
2»

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well honestly you have done what you can. . If she has been given the tools and knows what she is supposed to be doing. . she needs to push herself. . If she really wants this she will do it.. .

Take it from someone that has the tools to lose weight and has been doing a dance with it. .. .I am now pushing myself. .. .Nobody else can do it for you. . It is great to have someone to workout with. . . but you have to be motivated. . I used to go to the gym with a bodybuilder friend of mine, and he would tell us how many reps and such to do and workout with us. .. but he would also come back to the gym and workout longer later. ..

So option one tell her that she needs to step it up and keep up. .. Or option 2 you do more working out in a second segment after helping her. . Because yes. . if you are able to be pushing harder and aren't due to someone else that is not good. You are being a friend by not enabling her to be codependent. .. Guidance is one thing. .

Good luck in your journey. . .You can do it!
  • ElaKuz
    ElaKuz Posts: 49
    Options
    Thank-you!
    That is a great idea...
    There is no reason why I could tag on some alone time... and on the days when she can't come, those days I can do the harder workouts until she wants to step it up!

:)
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I agree with the group, you've done what you can, and let her know it's time to step up. I worked out with a friend that had legs a mile long, I always felt I was holding her back, so I let her go ahead, or we did the t'mill instead of the track. We were both happy, and I found I caught up with her! Plus, I had way more strength then she did, so that was my little "in your face bietch!" thing! lol But don't let her hold you back (or vice versa!) if she really wants this she'll step up, if not, it's her loss!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    How about hands-off encouragement? Perhaps a challenge like "Let's see if we can biceps curl X weight Y times in two weeks".
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she knows the routine by now. You can be in the same room, but tell her you need to work at your own pace, because you want to push yourself harder. Just do your own routines, and if she wants to follow along (or not), it's her choice.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I seem to find the workout partners who are like you are describing. My husband and best friend are both just kind of blah in the gym because they don't love it and aren't as excited to be there as I am. It's gotten to where I'll wave at them from across the room instead of trying to workout with them. It's a tough position to be in but I personally had to separate it to different parts of my life. If I'm acting as the role of trainer, I don't workout personally (even if I'm moving I don't count it as a workout because its not my workout) but spend my time encouraging others. If I'm there for my workout, I've just had to let my friends and family (and even some clients who see me in the gym and try to get a free session by working out with me) that they have to keep up or get out of the way but don't expect me to act like their trainer when I'm getting my workout in because I can't get a good workout in when I'm worrying about other people getting a workout and being safe doing it. I also jokingly tell them that I'll be glad to train them, but it costs double if it interrupts my workout. LOL Good luck with your friend!