Struggles with clothing sizes

Options

Replies

• tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I shop quite a lot at Kohl's but I'm at that age where I'm trying not to dress like a 16 year old or a 75 year old so department stores like that don't always have much to offer me especially in the way of tops.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and 123 or so pounds and I have been having pretty good luck at Kohl's. Although now I am losing inches instead of pounds for some reason so even though I just bought size 4 pants, I'm going to have to go back and get size 2. Pants are the hardest to find around here; everywhere they are stretchy (too big in the waist, too small in the thighs, guess I have muscular thighs) and size 10-16. Am afraid of ordering online unless I can try on in store first, but to do that, I first have to find a store that has sizes 2 and 4 in a style I don't hate. Or has sizes 2 and 4 at all.

I can find petite sizes 2 and 4 but the legs in those are too short for me. Grrr.

I work in a law office so I have been buying a lot of dresses. I am liking the Chaps dresses from Kohl's. There are a lot on clearance right now and they give you about 1000 coupons, discounts, promo codes, etc., which you can stack, so you can always get a good deal. It stays warm here most of the year so no issues if they only go down to the knees. And I can always wear a shrug or cardigan so sleeveless dresses in the winter are OK.

Services like Stitch Fix have been a miss for me lately. Not because of size, though, but because of personal style (e.g., I say I don't wear black and they send me a black dress...).
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and 123 or so pounds and I have been having pretty good luck at Kohl's. Although now I am losing inches instead of pounds for some reason so even though I just bought size 4 pants, I'm going to have to go back and get size 2. Pants are the hardest to find around here; everywhere they are stretchy (too big in the waist, too small in the thighs, guess I have muscular thighs) and size 10-16. Am afraid of ordering online unless I can try on in store first, but to do that, I first have to find a store that has sizes 2 and 4 in a style I don't hate. Or has sizes 2 and 4 at all.

I can find petite sizes 2 and 4 but the legs in those are too short for me. Grrr.

I work in a law office so I have been buying a lot of dresses. I am liking the Chaps dresses from Kohl's. There are a lot on clearance right now and they give you about 1000 coupons, discounts, promo codes, etc., which you can stack, so you can always get a good deal. It stays warm here most of the year so no issues if they only go down to the knees. And I can always wear a shrug or cardigan so sleeveless dresses in the winter are OK.

Services like Stitch Fix have been a miss for me lately. Not because of size, though, but because of personal style (e.g., I say I don't wear black and they send me a black dress...).

Oh! If you are looking for tiny waist and large thigh jeans and pants I recommend Ann Taylor. Their regular cut is tighter in the waist and larger in the hips and thighs than many brands and then they have a Curvy Fit that is even more so. I haven't had a chance to try Loft pants but the size chart online looks the same.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I tend to shop the sale racks in high-end department stores, right at the end of the sale when they ONLY have the tiny sizes left and they are heavily discounted because they need the floor space. It means that the clothes are better quality and nicer so they last longer and I end up spending about the same than if I had to replace everything every year. I don't have time or the interest to do much/any clothes shopping. I found a fabulous winter coat by Rag and Bone in XXS in Neiman Marcus for about 20% of the ticket price.

Other than that, I do shopping online because most petite ranges aren't in stores only online.
  • tahxirez
    Options
    I tend to shop the sale racks in high-end department stores, right at the end of the sale when they ONLY have the tiny sizes left and they are heavily discounted because they need the floor space. It means that the clothes are better quality and nicer so they last longer and I end up spending about the same than if I had to replace everything every year. I don't have time or the interest to do much/any clothes shopping. I found a fabulous winter coat by Rag and Bone in XXS in Neiman Marcus for about 20% of the ticket price.

Other than that, I do shopping online because most petite ranges aren't in stores only online.

Very smart idea! I guess the bottom line is i have to actually go shopping...grooaaannn lol
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I just checked out the Chaps dresses at Kohls--they have some cute looking dresses! And in aubergine, which I love! How is the quality? It no longer has the Ralph Lauren name on it--when did that happen? I am so out of things!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and about 118lb (somewhere around 33-24-35 depending on the day) and I do a ton of kids' clothes as they fit me better and are usually the perfect length too. I'm a 28F bust too but kids' stuff still fits better than adult a lot of the time.

For work I loooooove Crewcuts (J Crew kids) because there's a lot of preppy/classic shapes and styles and smaller versions of adult clothes (even blazers sometimes!) but I'll shamelessly check out the kids stuff pretty much everywhere, department stores are great for this too.

It's cheaper than the adult lines and is usually made of sturdier more easily washable fabrics too. Win-win - my most recent scores were three cashmere-blend (washable!) sweaters from the Crewcuts clearance section when they had an extra 30% off online for a total of $100 CAD.

For adult stuff, I have better luck with designer than with your typical US mall brands. Stuff like LOFT, Banana Republic, regular J Crew, etc etc seems to be larger every time I try it on, the vanity sizing is out of control. But if I look for deals on slightly higher-end stuff I find the sizing is usually a little truer. Some European-based brands are a little better too, like Zara or even some H&M (which is hit and miss, some stuff is teeny and some enormous IME.)
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Oh! If you are looking for tiny waist and large thigh jeans and pants I recommend Ann Taylor. Their regular cut is tighter in the waist and larger in the hips and thighs than many brands and then they have a Curvy Fit that is even more so. I haven't had a chance to try Loft pants but the size chart online looks the same.

Thanks for the recommendation. I do believe there is an Ann Taylor store not too far from where I live (in a fancy outdoor mall) so I could go there some weekend when I have free time and try some things on.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    becky10rp wrote: »
    Definitely worth the trip!! I'm originally from Marcellus, NY - live in Maryland now, but everytime I go back to visit my Dad, we end up at Destiny....can't be helped!

Funny Story: I work a second job at a shoe store in Destiny. The other day I decided to make a stop at VS before I headed to work and I honest to God got lost. IN THE MALL. It was borderline sad and hilarious at the same time.

I have good luck at Macy's and they usually have a pretty great clearance section.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Thanks for the recommendation. I do believe there is an Ann Taylor store not too far from where I live (in a fancy outdoor mall) so I could go there some weekend when I have free time and try some things on.

You might want to try Loft, too. They're owned by Ann Taylor but slightly more affordable. Never pay full price though unless you LOVE the item and can't live without it. They literally have sales every 2 seconds.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'2 34-23-34 and sadly, to find jeans that fit I do need to spend about $200 for designer styles that come in a size 23". Other than jeans I do a lot of shopping at Forever 21, Zara, Urban Outfitters and a bunch of tiny boutique shops. Sometimes it's the boutique shops where you can find the best random stuff.
  • kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My BF is 5'1" 125ish and she has had great success wearing GAP kids! I know that sounds strange but she looks fab. Because she is a true hourglass figure if she doesn't wear fitted she will look heavy.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I shop at Old Navy most of the time. I fit between a 0-2 in pants and XS in tops. They do not even carry size 3, their sizing is even #s. I know their quality can be inconsistent, but I shop there enough to basically know what fits and what I like. I have their "Navyist" card, so I get bucks back from using that card wherever I shop. So, most of my clothes end up being somewhere between free and $3 and I get free shipping. I have also found some great soft stretchy skinny jeans in the junior department of JCPenney. I wear a 3 usually in Juniors. I am 5'3' , about 115 and muscular. The last dress I bought was a 2P at JCPenney (katherine h brand) and I think they run small. I have an old Jones NY cocktail dress(over 10yrs old) size 4 that fits me like a sack, so I know its not all vanity sizing.
  • tahxirez
    Options
    becky10rp wrote: »
    Definitely worth the trip!! I'm originally from Marcellus, NY - live in Maryland now, but everytime I go back to visit my Dad, we end up at Destiny....can't be helped!

Funny Story: I work a second job at a shoe store in Destiny. The other day I decided to make a stop at VS before I headed to work and I honest to God got lost. IN THE MALL. It was borderline sad and hilarious at the same time.

I have good luck at Macy's and they usually have a pretty great clearance section.

Lol I can never find the "old" section of the mall if I enter on the Destiny side. And Lawdy the parking now! It used to be straight forward and easy, not anymore that place is jam packed lol Totally love the upstairs though with all the activities...I wish they had all that when I was in college.
  • tahxirez
    Options
    Any of you wearing kid's sizes...Do you try on at the store? I don't want to be "that" weirdo but I would def have to try on...
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    Any of you wearing kid's sizes...Do you try on at the store? I don't want to be "that" weirdo but I would def have to try on...
    Thank you for asking. I was wondering the same thing.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

I got a Rag and Bone coat in Nordstrom the same way. It was XS and really tight but I like my clothing tight and no way was I passing up a bargain like that (it was 50% off)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »

Ha ha! No way! :)

The couple of shirts I have bought, I have just slipped on over my tank top to try them, and I generally have two vigorous children running amok, so if anyone looks askance, they probably just chalk any weirdness up to being a beaten-down mom.

You shouldn't get any attention if you try them on at a place like an Old Navy, Gap or Macy's, etc., or even Sears, where they have a lot of really cute (and durable!) Land's End clothes for kids, right next to the adult line, so the fitting rooms are convenient. It might be a different story if you strolled into a Gymboree or Childrens' Place. But here's a good cover story: "My niece/nephew is the same size as me, so do you mind if I try these on really quickly?"
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    A size 12 girls jeans fit me best because I'm short. I'll second many who have said H&M. Their clothes fit me better than anywhere else.