PCOS and Losing

Options
Hello! I'm new to MFP and to actually trying to lose weight, but not to PCOS. Is there anyone else out there who has PCOS and is using MFP to lose weight? If so, I'd LOVE tips, advice, and really any positive words on this. I'm only 36 hours into a 100 - pound weight loss journey, and struggling, to say the least.

Replies

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I have PCOS as well. I have been working on getting healthier since April. Sure weight loss is a bit harder for us but it can be done. I'm staying away from things like white bread and sugar and started using whole grain pasta and bread. I weigh everything I eat as well. You can do this! I also have 100 pounds to loose. You can add me if you'd like
  • srevans1102
    srevans1102 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd love to! How do you keep track of how much sugar is In everything? (I realized tonight there's even sugar in milk....lol) I don't want to turn health freak but I don't want to miss the important stuff! I am starting starting to cut out bread and pasta as much as I can.
  • snl121805
    snl121805 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!! I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2014 after trying to get pregnant and a miscarriage. It took 3 different doctors to find out what was going on. I am currently 288lb at 5'7". I have tried to loose weight in the past with little to no luck. I have a 9yr old son and after trying for 4 1/2 yrs we now have a 1 yr old daughter. I am on birth control which has help a lot with my PCOS symptoms so I am hoping I can loose weight too. It would be awesome to team up on this with other ladies that understand the struggle us cycters go through to loose weight.... feel free to add me!!!
  • GraceJohnson83
    GraceJohnson83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    GM! I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2011. I suffered two miscarriages back to back but now I have a healthy 9 month old son :) My doctor put me on metformin to help with the weight loss. And metformin worked wonders for me.
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

I also have PCOS and when I started at 268.7 lbs, I had over 100 lbs to lose as well. I started in March with MFP and have found that it helps the most when I track my foods and recognize the patterns on what has the most sugars and what doesn't. I'm sometimes shocked by what I find! I try to keep my sugars and carbs down as it's harder for women with PCOS to digest them properly. That's not to say I do low carb or anything, but I still make better choices. I will choose whole wheat bread over white, brown rice over white. I'm avoiding things like pasta and sweets when possible and limit my fruit intake to only a couple choices a day. I also have noticed through tracking that sodium plays havoc with me and causes major water weight gain! So far I've lost 63 lbs and have about 45 lbs more to go. I'll reevaluate once I get to that point. It does get easier as the time goes on. It's true what they say about building things into a habit and the more you do them, the easier it will get. Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend and hopefully we can support each other. It's still a struggle for me and every day is hard work. But we can all do this!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    A low-to-moderate carb diet and TONS of exercise are the solution.

I find that around 100G carbs/day is a good maintenance point for me, but to lose, I need to be at 75G or under. Almost all of my carbs come from veggies, fruit and the occasional whole grain.

Track very carefully and over time you will start to see what works for you.

Good luck...it certainly CAN be done.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I have lost not just with MFP, but by eating a higher protein diet and keeping my carbs 150 or less. I find when I consume more than that my PCOS symptoms tend to return. Feel free to add for support. I have an open diary as well.
  • chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 39 and even though I wasn't diagnosed until my late twenties I know I have had PCOS since puberty. I have been overweight most of my life and losing is always a struggle. Had 2 miscarriages and after 10 years of no birth control I finally have my 6 year old daughter. Doc has me on Metformin (which was recently increased to 850 twice a day) and this seems to help with the cravings and also on Spiro to help ease some symptoms. He just set me up with a nutritionist who by chance has PCOS herself and while she is slender she struggles herself to keep that way. She told me that we do not want to cut carbs out (as I've been told many of times) rather we just need to balance them. She said food is in 3 groups....carbs, fat & protein. Each time you eat you must eat at least two of the 3 groups and when eating a carb you must ALWAYS pair it with a fat or a protein because a carb cannot be in our(pcos gals) bloodstream alone. Most of us are insulin resistant and we cannot process them alone. She said it's all about being able to pair the correct food together so our bodies know what to do with it. Sorry for rambling but feel free to add me. :)
  • srevans1102
    Options
    I love all these replies! Makes me feel not so alone. Lol

My biggest problem right now is figuring out what has what in it (I learned yesterday that bananas are high in calories). I just started seeing a new OB on Monday, and she put me on a strict 1500 calorie diet. She said carbs should be low, but other than bread and pasta, I'm not sure what all is a carb, If that makes sense. She also mentioned low sodium. Is MFP Premium the only version that will let you track more than calories?
  • Tea_A_Holic
    Tea_A_Holic Posts: 36 Member
    Options

My biggest problem right now is figuring out what has what in it (I learned yesterday that bananas are high in calories). I just started seeing a new OB on Monday, and she put me on a strict 1500 calorie diet. She said carbs should be low, but other than bread and pasta, I'm not sure what all is a carb, If that makes sense. She also mentioned low sodium. Is MFP Premium the only version that will let you track more than calories?

I can answer about the Carbs bit with what I have leaned lately, I have PCOS and Diabetes and have to keep my carbs low. The dietitian I have been seeing has said that we are allowed them, just in small amounts, The ones to watch out for are Potatoes, Bread, Pasta, Rice, Breakfast Cereals.
    There are carbs in other things like some veggies but not as much as in the obvious ones I have already mentioned. I was told by my Dietitian that for breakfast to have 1 slice of toast or bread with an egg or 40g cereal, light meal 2 slices of bread with low fat protein and some salad or other veg and main meal up to 200g of potato with unlimited veg and some protein. You may find less works better for you, I have 115g of potatoes with my main meal and have slightly more lean/low fat protein than she suggests.
    Anyone care to add to this? Please feel free.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm also a fellow cyster! I haven't cut anything out of my diet (originally tried low carb but it wasn't sustainable for me). I have lost 21lbs so far with MFP. Another 20 or so to go.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

even the standard version will let you see your macros (carbs, protein, fat, sodium, sugar) you can customize which ones you want to see in the settings. if you log in on a pc it shows up, if it's on your phone turn the phone sideways for a wide angle view to see your macros.

i'm another cyster who doesn't do low carb, it makes me irritable and hungry all the time. i've accepted that i'll lose slower but be happier overall if i manage calories alone. i try to track protein more than any other macro because i want to maintain muscle during fat loss and fuel my workouts. i keep track of sodium because i'm super sensitive to it (bloating not medically). but really my focus has been calories. i've lost 13 lbs so far and have a long way to go, but i feel like the way i am eating is very sustainable long term.
  • mychelle344
    mychelle344 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with pcos since my teen years. Never had periods unless on BC, infertile, so on. When I lost 32 lbs, I started bleeding. Bled for nearly 2 months... augh. Finally stopped about 3 weeks ago during a plateau. Kept trucking, busted through plateau this past week (now 42 lbs fown). Pcos is the devil yall!
  • kandy_canelane
    kandy_canelane Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS in 2015. I have always struggled with my weight and have difficulty losing any. I never understood why I had to try twice as hard for half the result as my peers until my diagnosis.

I am currently 213lbs and aiming to lose at least 43lbs. I feel terrible on birth control. I am hoping to regain some normality in my cycle (or even have a cycle for that matter) by reframing my lifestyle and taking control of my PCOS.

Feel free to add. I have an open diary
  • srevans1102
    Options
    My OB told me to weigh myself at least twice a week. I feel like that's excessive.....and when I don't see a weight change I get discouraged easily. Am I crazy for not wanting to weigh more than once a week? Also, any If you please feel free to add me. I need some accountability! Lol
  • VickyLosing
    VickyLosing Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi girl, I can tell you: you can do it. :smile:
    I was diagnosed with PCOS lemme think... 8 years ago. My doctor never told me, though, that this had to do with insulin resistance, food and weight. I started reading into the topic only this August and lost 25 pounds since then (just entering healthy BMI area). So yes, it's quite possible!
    I hear some confusion from your side, so I've listed the most important things I've learned:

1. If you're PCOS and overweight the underlying problem is probably that you're insulin resistant, at least to some degree. You have to restore your insulin sensitivity to help your PCOS. The most effective way to do that is losing weight and sports!

2. To boil things down, the state of being insulin resistant means your blood is filled with free fatty acids even though your body doesn't need them. This blocks the insulin's signal, meaning your cells don't react to insulin anymore. Things worsen as you put on more weight, especially belly fat (or "visceral fat"). Weight loss helps, because your blood won't be flooded with fatty acids anymore. The insulin's signal will "come through" again. Sport also helps a great deal because your muscles actually FEED on these fatty acids and REMOVE them from your blood. Same result: the insulin's signal will come through.
    Studies support this: while doing sports AND dieting seems not to significantly boost weight loss in PCOS women compared to only dieting, the study subjects who added sport to their diet lost significantly more belly fat - which is the bad guy here! They also had better insulin sensitivity. You see, you don't have to go hardcore, just make sure the fatty acids are being "used up" from time to time. Rather do it regularly than high-intensity.

3. Your diet... There's a lot of confusion around and you'll hear often to go low carb or no carb as the only option. Truth be told, certain foods DO influence your insulin sensitivity. Going on a no-carb diet makes your body produce veeery little insulin- however, this does NOT heal the problem beneath (how your CELLS react to insulin!). It just delays it. It doesn't reverse your insulin resistance (it even makes it worse temporarily). Once you add in carbs again the body still doesn't know how to react to the insulin. BUT weight loss does help, as I explained above. Soooo, a low carb diet CAN be useful because it's effective for losing weight, NOT because it helps the problem itself. It is not required nor the only option- but it is an option. (You can look up a study where a person regained full insulin sensitivity by only eating rice- that's a 100%-carb-diet!! And it still helps, so yeah). Just in case you struggle with low carb, any healthy diet that makes you lose weight helps your insulin sensitivity.

4. Try to avoid eating a diet that made you insulin resistant in the first place. That is, try to avoid a "cafeteria diet": eating food high in carbs AND fat AT THE SAME TIME. You can have an oatmeal/fruit breakfast for example which is very high in healthy carbs. Then a low carb lunch and dinner which can be high in fats. DON'T (often) eat a cheeseburger with loads of fat and a sugary wheat bun. Or a Pizza with a carb-loaded dough and tons of fatty cheese. Potato chips: very bad idea, they're carb roasted in fat. This is what makes us sick, as a society. You should also choose good carbs over bad carbs: oatmeal, vegetables, fruits (berries are best) and whole grain in moderatio are good carbs (they differ on a biochemical basis and have a lot of fiber, in case you wonder about the difference). Sugar, wheat and potatoes contain different, "bad" carbs and little to no fiber. Sugar is the worst by far, so if you have to cheat, rather have a bowl of pasta than a cake. You'll hear of this concept as "slow carb", read about it. It doesn't mean the foods I named are off limits, just try to reduce them as far as you can.

5. When it comes to fats, try to watch your cholesterol. Saturated fatty acids as they come with fatty meats, eggs and dairy (exception: butter and cream) are raising your "bad" cholesterol, avoid them. Dairy also contains sugar as you stated, so it should be avoided anyways. Oleic acid and other monounsaturated fatty acids raise your "good" cholesterol (boiling things down again). Polyunsaturated fatty acids don't affect your cholesterol but are important for other things, you shouldn't consume too little, but more doesn't help more. Some oils loose their good properties as you heat them, so be careful. My rough guide is to use butter or coconut oil for frying, olive oil for salads and cold meals and have fatty fish at least once a week (they're to only natural source of omega-3 fatty acids that our body can efficiently use).

6. Supplement if you feel like it. There are studies that support some supplements as effective treatment against insulin resistance and PCOS. Examples are myo-inositol, NAC, apple cider vinegar, Magnesium etc. Fiber also helps your gut bacteria and your overall hunger, especially since all the fiber you usually consume with wheat is missing. You can add whole psyllium husks t your diet, drink them in water half an hour before your meals.

About weight-ins, well.. Weight jumps, a lot. I feel you get less sensitive to these natural changes if you do it more often. But to each their own! Always do it at the same time of the day, I prefer to in the morning before eating and drinking anything to avoid major jumps.
    I hope that helps and doesn't confuse you! I just remember how hard it was to get all that (sometimes deceptive) information, but once you know what to eat, you'll lose weight and improve your health in no time :smile:
  • srevans1102
    Options
    Hi girl, I can tell you: you can do it. :smile:
    I was diagnosed with PCOS lemme think... 8 years ago. My doctor never told me, though, that this had to do with insulin resistance, food and weight. I started reading into the topic only this August and lost 25 pounds since then (just entering healthy BMI area). So yes, it's quite possible!
    I hear some confusion from your side, so I've listed the most important things I've learned:

1. If you're PCOS and overweight the underlying problem is probably that you're insulin resistant, at least to some degree. You have to restore your insulin sensitivity to help your PCOS. The most effective way to do that is losing weight and sports!

2. To boil things down, the state of being insulin resistant means your blood is filled with free fatty acids even though your body doesn't need them. This blocks the insulin's signal, meaning your cells don't react to insulin anymore. Things worsen as you put on more weight, especially belly fat (or "visceral fat"). Weight loss helps, because your blood won't be flooded with fatty acids anymore. The insulin's signal will "come through" again. Sport also helps a great deal because your muscles actually FEED on these fatty acids and REMOVE them from your blood. Same result: the insulin's signal will come through.
    Studies support this: while doing sports AND dieting seems not to significantly boost weight loss in PCOS women compared to only dieting, the study subjects who added sport to their diet lost significantly more belly fat - which is the bad guy here! They also had better insulin sensitivity. You see, you don't have to go hardcore, just make sure the fatty acids are being "used up" from time to time. Rather do it regularly than high-intensity.

3. Your diet... There's a lot of confusion around and you'll hear often to go low carb or no carb as the only option. Truth be told, certain foods DO influence your insulin sensitivity. Going on a no-carb diet makes your body produce veeery little insulin- however, this does NOT heal the problem beneath (how your CELLS react to insulin!). It just delays it. It doesn't reverse your insulin resistance (it even makes it worse temporarily). Once you add in carbs again the body still doesn't know how to react to the insulin. BUT weight loss does help, as I explained above. Soooo, a low carb diet CAN be useful because it's effective for losing weight, NOT because it helps the problem itself. It is not required nor the only option- but it is an option. (You can look up a study where a person regained full insulin sensitivity by only eating rice- that's a 100%-carb-diet!! And it still helps, so yeah). Just in case you struggle with low carb, any healthy diet that makes you lose weight helps your insulin sensitivity.

4. Try to avoid eating a diet that made you insulin resistant in the first place. That is, try to avoid a "cafeteria diet": eating food high in carbs AND fat AT THE SAME TIME. You can have an oatmeal/fruit breakfast for example which is very high in healthy carbs. Then a low carb lunch and dinner which can be high in fats. DON'T (often) eat a cheeseburger with loads of fat and a sugary wheat bun. Or a Pizza with a carb-loaded dough and tons of fatty cheese. Potato chips: very bad idea, they're carb roasted in fat. This is what makes us sick, as a society. You should also choose good carbs over bad carbs: oatmeal, vegetables, fruits (berries are best) and whole grain in moderatio are good carbs (they differ on a biochemical basis and have a lot of fiber, in case you wonder about the difference). Sugar, wheat and potatoes contain different, "bad" carbs and little to no fiber. Sugar is the worst by far, so if you have to cheat, rather have a bowl of pasta than a cake. You'll hear of this concept as "slow carb", read about it. It doesn't mean the foods I named are off limits, just try to reduce them as far as you can.

5. When it comes to fats, try to watch your cholesterol. Saturated fatty acids as they come with fatty meats, eggs and dairy (exception: butter and cream) are raising your "bad" cholesterol, avoid them. Dairy also contains sugar as you stated, so it should be avoided anyways. Oleic acid and other monounsaturated fatty acids raise your "good" cholesterol (boiling things down again). Polyunsaturated fatty acids don't affect your cholesterol but are important for other things, you shouldn't consume too little, but more doesn't help more. Some oils loose their good properties as you heat them, so be careful. My rough guide is to use butter or coconut oil for frying, olive oil for salads and cold meals and have fatty fish at least once a week (they're to only natural source of omega-3 fatty acids that our body can efficiently use).

6. Supplement if you feel like it. There are studies that support some supplements as effective treatment against insulin resistance and PCOS. Examples are myo-inositol, NAC, apple cider vinegar, Magnesium etc. Fiber also helps your gut bacteria and your overall hunger, especially since all the fiber you usually consume with wheat is missing. You can add whole psyllium husks t your diet, drink them in water half an hour before your meals.

About weight-ins, well.. Weight jumps, a lot. I feel you get less sensitive to these natural changes if you do it more often. But to each their own! Always do it at the same time of the day, I prefer to in the morning before eating and drinking anything to avoid major jumps.
    I hope that helps and doesn't confuse you! I just remember how hard it was to get all that (sometimes deceptive) information, but once you know what to eat, you'll lose weight and improve your health in no time :smile:

I love this! This definitely makes more sense than what my OB told me. We're going grocery shopping tomorrow, so I've been putting a lot more thought into what I buy. So another question: I like to bake. Is any better to use sweetener and whole wheat flour for stuff? (I've been using no-calorie sweetener in our tea, but haven't necessarily figured out how to incorporate it into baking.)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I'm living proof weight loss with PCOS can happen. I started at 248 lbs, currently down 107 with a few more to go. Lots of good advice given in this thread. I check in with a dietician when I have any issues/questions (doctors do not get any real nutrition education in med school, so I'd hesitate to use one of them as a main resource in this journey - and I say that both as a nurse and working in Labor and Delivery). I think my success doing this now and here is by educating myself here in the forums, I read as much as I can, click on all the links, see what works for people and incorporate that into my life. I've lost weight before but it always came back because I didn't understand all this.

As for the PCOS aspect, I do a high fat, moderate protein, lowER carb diet. (I call it lowER, since it's between 80-120 grams, mostly on the lower end). I wasn't aware that artificial sweeteners exacerbate PCOS (learned that from the dietician) so I read labels and avoid them (diet soda). She's okay with me using products with Stevia. I've definitely limited a lot of the "bad carbs" - ice cream, pasta, potatoes etc, but once in a while is okay. As in any type of weight loss journey, you have to make this a permanent lifestyle change, one you can live with.

Exercise is great, most of mine has been walking, but I've added gym classes, strength training and have even been known to run a bit without someone chasing me :smiley:

Friend requests welcome. Good luck.
  • kandy_canelane
    kandy_canelane Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My OB told me to weigh myself at least twice a week. I feel like that's excessive.....and when I don't see a weight change I get discouraged easily. Am I crazy for not wanting to weigh more than once a week? Also, any If you please feel free to add me. I need some accountability! Lol

If weighing yourself twice a week is going to steamroll all of your progress, then don't do it. Sometimes weighing yourself too often can really be really discouraging! Especially for us PCOS women who's hormones aren't wired like other people.

Your self esteem is important, as is accuracy and consistency. If you are only able to weigh yourself once a week, make sure it is the same day and same time of day for the most accurate results. You could even program an alert in your phone as a reminder for the same weekly weigh in.
  • VickyLosing
    VickyLosing Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow kar328, congrats to your success! That's such a crazy loss. :dizzy:
    srevans1102, just saw your response, I'm glad I helped. Unfortunately, baking isn't really the best idea (for anyone), because it usually combines a lot of "bad carbs" and fat, especially if you use a topping or mousse. Using whole wheat helps. I'm so-so about sweeteners, because some are known to damage your gut bacteria, which is very important to weight loss and overall health. Didn't even know they exacerbate PCOS, too! Learned something today.
    I'd suggest you try to reduce baking and use half sugar, half Stevia as sweetener and whole grain (maybe half-half, too, until you're used to the new taste?). Maybe use good carbs, too (there's Zucchini cake, Oatmeal Cookies,..).
    The idea is to stick with something you can keep up. I once made a cake without wheat and Stevia as sweetener and it tasted so horrible I threw it away lol.. See, something like that makes you frustrated and makes you want to stop, so it really makes more sense to restrict yourself slowly and give yourself room for "cheats" and treats. Personally, I gave up baking or do it only for others and just have one piece then.