Goal by Thanksgiving

Options
btodd304
btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
edited November 2016 in Motivation and Support
So I set a goal for myself by thanksgiving to lose another 10lbs. I was looking to get some support or if anyone wanted to also set a goal and we can motivate eachother.

* edited*
Let me add that I have been losing weight and working out since April and when I am 100% i lose about 10lbs a month so it is not unrealistic for me to have set that goal.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That's over three pounds a week, which unfortunately is unrealistic. Best bet you can lose 3-5 pounds in that time.
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    That's over three pounds a week, which unfortunately is unrealistic. Best bet you can lose 3-5 pounds in that time.

While I agree that 10 lbs is quite a lot to expect in a few weeks, if you're just starting then you might lose a good amount of water weight the first week to help you towards your goal. When I first started at 238 lbs. I lost 11 pounds my first week from my body releasing fluids. It also depends on how much you weigh as to what's a reasonable loss. The standard 1-2 lbs. a week doesn't fit for everyone. It might be more accurate shoot for 1% - 1.5% of body weight.

I'll join you. I love goals. But my goal is going to be 5 lbs. since that's 1% of my body weight a week and that's what I've been sustainably losing as I'm closer to goal weight now. Good luck!
  • btodd304
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Come on. The "goal by Thanksgiving" thing is a little late. Trying to lose x weight by x date is a recipe for disappointment. Why not just plan on being lighter and leave it at that?

Well it actually isn't a little late as I've been losing weight since I started working out in April and have averaged about 10lbs a month. Just with all the Halloween candy and things that come along with thanksgiving with all the yummy foods looking for extra support. But thank you for your input.
  • btodd304
    Options

I have been averaging 10lbs a month I did edit my post stating more information as it is not an unrealistic goal for me.
  • btodd304
    Options
    stm712015 wrote: »

While I agree that 10 lbs is quite a lot to expect in a few weeks, if you're just starting then you might lose a good amount of water weight the first week to help you towards your goal. When I first started at 238 lbs. I lost 11 pounds my first week from my body releasing fluids. It also depends on how much you weigh as to what's a reasonable loss. The standard 1-2 lbs. a week doesn't fit for everyone. It might be more accurate shoot for 1% - 1.5% of body weight.

I'll join you. I love goals. But my goal is going to be 5 lbs. since that's 1% of my body weight a week and that's what I've been sustainably losing as I'm closer to goal weight now. Good luck!

I did edit my post to add more information. I started back in April on my weight loss journey and when I'm 100% i can lost at least 10lbs a month so not an unrealistic goal for myself. I workout with my trainer 3x a week and 3x on my own and eat healthy foods. I just know with all the halloween treats and candy around then thanksgiving right around the corner I was looking for support so I can stay at 100%.
  • btodd304
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    You do know it is the 3rd, dear. Twenty one days until your deadline? Good luck though. :)

Yes I am aware of what day it is, thank you!
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Setting mini goals for myself has been a huge motivator. I think it's great that you're using this time of year to set mini goals since, like you said, there are a lot of distractions during the holidays.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You get it girl! I'll do it with you! The whole 1-2 a week is awesome and a great way to release the pressure /expectations of dieting. But for some of us, a bit more is doable. I need a big challenge to stay on my plan and as much of that by thanksgiving -I'll take it. My October was a slow one so I'm hoping the rebound effort will be rewarded. Friend me!

Watch out for asking about big goals on here though- you'll get some haters...watch em come.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    You do you girl. Get it.
  • btodd304
    Options
    You do you girl. Get it.

Thank you for the motivation.
  • btodd304
    Options
    You get it girl! I'll do it with you! The whole 1-2 a week is awesome and a great way to release the pressure /expectations of dieting. But for some of us, a bit more is doable. I need a big challenge to stay on my plan and as much of that by thanksgiving -I'll take it. My October was a slow one so I'm hoping the rebound effort will be rewarded. Friend me!

Watch out for asking about big goals on here though- you'll get some haters...watch em come.

Awesome, thank you. Let's get it. But yes I was looking for support and motivation and instead it is people saying it's unrealistic. I didn't know I needed to put my complete bio out there to get support, yes I know some people make unrealistic goals. But I have a total of 125lbs to lose and I am 50lbs down towards my end goal since April so 10lbs a month for me is totally doable. Yeah ill totally add you. I need the extra support bc I work in a health office and it's crazy the amount of junk comes in mmore then any other job I've ever had.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    btodd304 wrote: »
    You do you girl. Get it.

Thank you for the motivation.

You're more than welcome. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need support. I'll be your cheerleader.

• Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I set a goal for thanksgiving a few months ago. I totally get wanting a deadline for your goals. When I was starting out, I could lose 4.5 pounds per week with ease. I think you can do it. Just be safe and listen to your body.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
This discussion has been closed.