Diabetes claim - limited amount of sugar one can eat in their life?

So my mom told me yesterday that her doctor said that everyone has a maximum amount of sugar that the pancreas can process in their life before giving up and giving you diabetes.

Never heard of this in my life.

True? BS?

Replies

• gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    I would suggest getting information from a better source such as:
    http://diabetes.org/
    http://www.diabetes.ca/

Hope this helps.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Never heard such a thing.
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Sugar doesn't cause diabetes.

That really wouldn't be what the doctor was saying though, at least not directly.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Sounds pretty "direct" to me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Sounds like at best a gross oversimplification.

Bear in mind it's what you think your mother thinks the doctor said. The difference between that and what the doctor actually said may be considerable.

Good point!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    Me and my good friend Ben & Jerry's are currently trying to gather enough evidence to answer this question.

I too am undertaking a B&J experiment. Will be good to get a wider range of results for scientific reasons of course.

n=2 offers twice as many data points as n=1.

*looks around*

data points. Road map. Just a matter of time, my friend.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Who knows.. My Uncle has type 2 diabetes and his main form of food over the years consisted of sugary items, lots of lollies/candy and jam/jelly on just about everything! He has never been overweight in the slightest.

He's in hospital right now after having half his leg amputated.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I read this somewhere recently too. Can't remember where.

It sort of makes sense. What I read also discussed how some people will have a lower limit of sugars that they can handle which is where the genetics come into it. It also would help account for people who are not overweight when they develop insulin resistance.

I ate more sugar than average is my guess. I was also not overweight when I developed IR. Maybe a bit - I was around 160-165 lbs at 5'8". A size 12.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Sounds like at best a gross oversimplification.

Bear in mind it's what you think your mother thinks the doctor said. The difference between that and what the doctor actually said may be considerable.

I agree. This sounds to me like a conversation that started, "Think about it like this...."
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Insulin resistance and sugar metabolism ares complicated by genetics, exercise, and other nutritional factors. Really good to read about, and get some basic understanding of these various factors and proven (epidemiologically) the best ways to prevent Type 2 diabetes (diet and exercise are at the top of the list).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Who knows.. My Uncle has type 2 diabetes and his main form of food over the years consisted of sugary items, lots of lollies/candy and jam/jelly on just about everything! He has never been overweight in the slightest.

I'm sorry, that sucks :(
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

I'm sorry, that sucks :(

yeah, but he knew what he was doing, his doctor warned him of what would happen if he continued on the way he was, But he thought he would get away with it. He is the first person in our family to develop diabetes, he is also the only one who had a severe sweet tooth... So make of that what you will.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    I'm Type II and I call BS. There are a lot of factors that feed into the disease. For me it was a little bit genetics, being obese, and having Gestational Diabetes in back-to-back pregnancies. All of these things increased my risk. In fact, having GD almost DOUBLES your risk, and in the case of GD the culprit behind the issue is the placenta.

So yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me at all. But I'm not a doctor...