Bloating Problems...need remedy

Options
Is there anything I can take to help my stomach from getting bloated after everything I eat? I heard apple cider vinegar works, but have yet to try it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    First, are you sure that it is bloating? I know that sounds silly but some people confuse normalcy with bloating. When you eat food and it goes to your stomach, it is normal for your stomach to stick out a bit more than it did when empty.

If you are sure it is bloating, I'd start by looking at what you are eating and in what quantities. Certain foods will cause more bloating than others. Try tracking what you eat and observing which foods seem to affect you more or less.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    When I was at my fattest, I thought I was bloated all the time. Then I realised it was just fat! Now that I am reasonably lean I can see what does actually bloat me.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary we can see what you're eating.

Is what you're experiencing water bloat or gas?

I get gassy from off the shelf breads, like your average whole wheat Arnold brand, and raw veggies. Are you lactose intolerant? Gluten sensitive? Not used to salads?
  • jennimacias
    jennimacias Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @successgal1 How do I do that? & Water is all I drink so Idk if maybe I drink too much of it? The bloating typically happens after I eat something and I get gassy too like everyday, it's really annoying and uncomfortable. Milk hurts my stomach but idk if that's considered lactose intolerant. I love salads, they also bloat me really bad. Not sure if I am gluten sensitive, how do I check that?
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Gas X, Beano or yogurt...have you tried them? Go to your settings and find the tab to make your diary public.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    @successgal1 How do I do that? & Water is all I drink so Idk if maybe I drink too much of it? The bloating typically happens after I eat something and I get gassy too like everyday, it's really annoying and uncomfortable. Milk hurts my stomach but idk if that's considered lactose intolerant. I love salads, they also bloat me really bad. Not sure if I am gluten sensitive, how do I check that?

There is no at home testing for celiac disease. See a medical doctor & have yourself tested for allergies. They can test your for lactose also.
  • jennimacias
    Options
    @shagerty777 I made it public, and also no I have not tried any of those. Except yogurt, it doesn't help.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, what are your height and weight?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the sodium from your ready meals?
  • jennimacias
    Options
    Well I'm extremely overweight for my height right now, working on tht. 5'3.. 200lbs at the moment, However, It has always been this way after any meal even when I was in shape. @jemhh
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It won't be the water. Milk maybe if it upsets your stomach anyway I would eliminate that first. If you have increased your fiber dramatically overnight, that will do it too. We all need plenty of fiber, but sometimes it takes our bodies a while to adjust.
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I had a problem with this when I started tracking my food on MFP. I realized that eating hard fibrous greens and nuts and seeds were the problem. One week I ate raw broccoli slaw for a few meals and I was so uncomfortable. So now if I am going to eat fibrous foods I cook them to break down the fiber a little or I won't eat them more than one day in a row. I may eat nuts and seeds once per week. I rarely eat salad and if I do I chew very well or take an enzyme like papaya to help digest.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Chewing on fennel seeds after meals can aid in digestion. It's cheap and easy.

Ultimately though you have to figure out what's causing it. You diary seems incomplete. You seem to eat yogurt everyday... maybe eliminate that for awhile and see if it helps? Also consider digestive enzymes.

• 77cooks14
    77cooks14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definitely try a hot beverage after you eat to break down the meal. I love teas, green, oolong, up ehr are my top fav but rose hip helps move the food. Warm letter lemon water, cucumber water. Also what you eat can make a difference in bloat, be mindful of certain fiber rich foods. Bloat kills me so I spend so much time researching. Good luck!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too and the Fodmap diet helped me a lot (try googling it) but don't try and do it alone. I did it under the supervision of my doctor and a dietician.
    Things like wheat can make people bloated and it doesn't necessarily mean you are intolerant or allergic- just limit it and substitute other grains so you're not eating it at every meal.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    i'm never sure which of two or three possibilities 'bloat' actually means when it's being used as a euphemism . . . and the problem is, i usually find i don't want to find out.

with that said, to the op: i must be a little lactose intolerant, because whey isolate is my friend. and the friend of anyone who shares enclosed spaces with me. the regular concentrate that still contains all its lactose, not nearly as much.
  • LexVex
    LexVex Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well I'm extremely overweight for my height right now, working on tht. 5'3.. 200lbs at the moment, However, It has always been this way after any meal even when I was in shape. @jemhh

I am 5'4 and 220, do you suffer from depression?
    That's where my weight gain started initially.
    Are your feet swollen ? If so it might be sodium. Try countering it with fruits high in citrus . I noticed a drastic change when I started drinking lemon water .
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Peppermint tea, berries, melon and lots of water