Is the Fitbit worth it?

Options
I see a lot of people on here using them to keep track of their calories and I went to Target to see how much they were and it's around $100 which to me seems outrageous to pay for an activity tracker and step counter but maybe their is something I don't know about it. Also does anyone have a cheaper alternative? Does anyone feel they are inaccurate or very useful?

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I wear my Fitbit because my employer pays me a fitness bonus if I hit my step goal monthly. I will say I didn't realize how much I was walking before I got it, but I can't say that it has really changed any of my habits, either eating or exercise. Mine is the Flex. The most basic one out there, I think.

I am buying my husband a charge 2 for Christmas because he wants it. I'm not sure how he settled on that one, but I know he researched every activity tracker out there.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've got the Alta, and I absolutely love it. I love seeing how my sleep pattern is, I love text and call buzzes (I have my phone constantly on silent so it's helpful), I love being in challenges and being motivated to get more steps in to beat people. I love the feeling I get when I reach my step goal. I love my fitbit. It cost me about £100 but to me, it was 110% worth it.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit!! I have charge hr. It's completely accurate for me so if I follow the calories given by it I lose EXACTLY how much and how fast I want. It's awesome! Also I like to see all the stats like sleep pattern, calories charts, number of active minutes. Tbh at this point I can't imagine losing weight without it.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I bought my fitbit about 3 years ago maybe a bit longer. I have the most simple one its the zip, not sure they still make it, it does steps and calories burn. I wear it on my bra strap daily. Honestly I am lost without it. About a year ago I lost it and fitbit actually did a one time replacement,, how is that for customer service. While it was lost I didn't stay on track somehow this lil thing does keep me motivated to move.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and the Alta. My husband wears the Blaze. Together we lost over 90 pounds, using Fitbit and MFP together. For us, totally worth it.
  • mamacita99
    mamacita99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've got the HR charge & love it. I do challenges with other Fitbit users & always try to win. Last week I was at 35 miles for the week. I like tracking sleep patterns & the Fitbit also buzzes me when I have a call & tells me the number calling. I bought the protection plan because I wear it always & they replaced it once already free of charge. No return necessary-they just said to recycle the broken one. Customer service is fantastic!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It was really nice for me to give me an idea of what my normal activity is like. I didn't like the one you have to clip though (for me it's awkward to put on my bra and there's not much else to put it on in the Summer when I wear dresses) so I stopped wearing it.

The main reason I haven't got a new one is that a bit chunk of my activity is my stationary bike so it would be pretty worthless accounting for that...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Getting one motivated me to become more active. I now have the Charge 2 and love it to bits. Completely worth it.
  • catalyst4514
    catalyst4514 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and love it because it's discreet and simple. Step count appears to be right on the money. It was around $75 I think but worth every penny in terms of motivation and data.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit! My whole family has them and we do a daily step challenge. It's a low key way to check in with my college kids and my parents. It also keeps me honest on making sure I'm active during the whole day not just working out once and then sitting on my butt.
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I've been using my phone for a step counter, but I often walk away from my desk without it. I'll have to keep an eye on prices during the holidays.
  • Snrussell09
    Snrussell09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For someone who wasn't very active, it really helped me get more active but now I really only use the HR part of it for my workouts for the stats. I also love the Fitbit app dashboard that lets you set all of your goals and it shows your progress throughout the day. Great way to hold yourself accountable and have your goals/progress right there and you can watch the charts and stuff fill up! It did wonders for my sister and I when we first started.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Completely worth it to me. I got my Charge HR when it was on sale. Keep an eye out for holiday sales if you do decide to get a FitBit.
    My FitBit truly made me realize the importance/impact of frequent movement versus structured exercise. I still set aside time for yoga and bodyweight exercises, but my TDEE numbers are mainly due to the summation of mini-walks and extra steps taken throughout the day.
    I've been told here on MFP that my FitBit was likely inflating my calories burned for walks and stuff, but anytime I've consistently eaten less, I slowly but surely lose weight overtime. Idk how FitBit works its numbers, or if there's something off in my logging, but it works for me.
    As others mentioned, the challenges and data are also a great part of the device.
    FitBit isn't perfect, and that's okay. I've yet to come across any piece of technology that functions perfectly. However, I find that it is a handy tool that supports my goals.
  • Snrussell09
    Snrussell09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is definitely not perfect. I have the Charge HR too. I don't need mine to be crazy accurate because I usually don't "eat back the exercise" so I like to just get a ballpark number of how many calories I burn. I think it inflates the numbers a lot but it has worked for me. It depends on what you expect from it.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have become more active since getting my flex. I love it. I do a lot of challenges through fitbit and hate to lose so it keeps me moving. I have a desk job and in the year that Ive had fitbit I have gone from averaging 5k steps a day to 8-10k, not counting workouts.

I also enjoy tracking sleep and make more effort now to get enough sleep and track whar disrupts sleep for me.
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I love my Charge HR. It takes all the guesswork out of exercise calories and makes weight loss very simple. Want to lose 1 pound a week? Eat 500 calories less than the total calories burned every day. Want to lose 2 pounds a week? Eat 1000 calories less than you burn a day. I'm sure it will also be very helpful once I hit maintenance. So far, I've found my Fitbit to be very accurate. (And my Body Pump class apparently only burns around 200 calories an hour)
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yes it's worth it, I have a Charge HR and love it, it really opens your eyes to how just generally being active during the day (NEAT) can boost your TDEE,
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It was a great tool to see how lazy i was. I work in an office watching monitors all day, then bus an hour each way home. I was getting 2-3000 steps a day, maybe 2 flights of stairs. Well i saw i was doing absolutely nothing with my body. So i started moving more, now i hit 5500 on a lazy day, and 10,000 on an active day, i stopped taking the elevator and try to hit my stair goal daily.

They have adventures that help push you to get to your goal. And i love the HR monitor. Its a great tool to assess your fitness levels and help you get more active
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I won't pay attention to my steps if I don't and I can find myself being ridiculously seditary. Also remember Black Friday sales are just around the corner and a lot of stores should be having them at a great sale price. We got our flex last year for $49 each.