Protein shakes

Options
Hi all. I wanting to get advice on the most tasty lean protein shakes. I ordered Idealfit the other day and they make me want to vomit. So gross. I just want something yummy enough to be able to drink. Any suggestions?

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I love my Tera's Whey in chocolate flavor. It's grass fed organic, very few ingredients, sweetened with stevia. What makes it delicious though is I use coconut water as a mixer- it's naturally sweet and has potassium & electrolytes (nature's Gatorade).

2 scoops of protein powder, 8 to 10 ounces of coconut water. I either mix it with a blender or in a shaker cup. It's delicious!

Prepared this way it's:
    170 calories
    20 grams protein
    20 grams carbs
    2 grams fat
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone on here seem to drink protein shakes. Why not just have some plain greek yogurt, like Fage 2% or 0%? You can add grated 100% chocolate and Stevia and it tastes so awesome or fruit if that is your thing.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I also eat Greek yogurt but I'm wanting something easy on the go for the mornings and after hard workouts.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like Vega choc a lot, I make it with almond milk. Lots of protein and greens. I often make it up and take it with me to the gym. If I am feeling wild I add banana and greek yogourt.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Syntha-6 Edge, or BPI Whey HD? If you need a flavor lift try adding almond milk to the protein you already have. Sometimes a decent protein just doesn't have the profile to taste good with water.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    KWlosingit wrote: »
    Why does everyone on here seem to drink protein shakes. Why not just have some plain greek yogurt, like Fage 2% or 0%? You can add grated 100% chocolate and Stevia and it tastes so awesome or fruit if that is your thing.

I don't have much appetite first thing so I drink a protein shake in the car on the way to the gym in morning. It's portable and doesn't make me feel nauseous like eating minutes after I wake up does. Why do you think anyone should have to justify their food habits to you?

Nutrabolics Iso-MRP is delicious IMHO, especially mixed with cashew milk. The cashew milk makes it nice and think so the chocolate tastes like a malted milk and strawberry tastes like a milkshake.

• KWlosingit
    Options

I don't have much appetite first thing so I drink a protein shake in the car on the way to the gym in morning. It's portable and doesn't make me feel nauseous like eating minutes after I wake up does. Why do you think anyone should have to justify their food habits to you?

Nutrabolics Iso-MRP is delicious IMHO, especially mixed with cashew milk. The cashew milk makes it nice and think so the chocolate tastes like a malted milk and strawberry tastes like a milkshake.

Wow a little touchy about questions aren't we. I was just asking, I did not say it was wrong. I just was wondering what the "magical" thing is about these shakes that I just don't understand.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Wow a little touchy about questions aren't we. I was just asking, I did not say it was wrong. I just was wondering what the "magical" thing is about these shakes that I just don't understand.

Not touchy, I was also just asking. I would not have answered you if I thought there was a problem. I do think you should refrain from questioning others' food choices because, after spending some time here, you will find that there is no "magical" thing, protein shake or otherwise. It's a simple matter of CICO and the way that each person chooses to achieve that is as varied as people are. There is no right or wrong way to do it and what works for you might not work for me or anyone else.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

for me I will have a protein shake when I dont want a meal, I add protein powder,fruits,leafy greens,sometimes I add greek yogurt,chia and hemp seed, sometimes flax as well. sometimes I will have a shake if my protein is low from regular foods. some days you cant always hit protein goals(well I cant anyway) so a shake is the way to go. I like greek yogurt but Im getting pretty burned out on it to be honest
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I do slim fast type vanilla sometimes. Mixed in. Blender with ice. Sometimes add banana ,,, pretty tasty

Good luck
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Greek yogurt is great too.

Protein shakes are just really handy for getting in a good amount of quickly digesting protein for after a strength training workout when it's important for muscle repair, or a good way to get in more protein in general with a low calorie & fat hit compared to things like meat.

For the vast majority of us timing of protein after a workout is really majoring in the minors.
  • puddlegoober
    puddlegoober Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    For the vast majority of us timing of protein after a workout is really majoring in the minors.

Please explain.

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options

Please explain.

Yes, please explain. Not trying to be snarky at all! Just trying to understand.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I like them.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »

Please explain.

The timing window for protein after a workout is quite large. Simply eating when you'd regularly eat is just fine.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I enjoy pre made Premier Protein shakes. The chocolate is good. I've tried others like Muscle Milk and thought they tasted terrible.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »

Please explain.

Someone already mentioned the reasoning, this graphic explains it well

471a4j3vxgs2.png

Most people don't fit in the category where nutrient timing matters.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I like my shake and get more protein and vitamins than I would from a yogurt.

Typically I eat yogurt with fruit as a treat in the evening if I want one.
  • KWlosingit
    Options
    I don't think you get more protein from a shake. The shake shown here said it had 20 grams of protein and 170 calories. Fage 2% has 20 grams of protein and 150 calories. So same protein and less calories. That is why I wonder if people (my son is like this) automatically think that a protein shake is the best for low calorie protein when in fact that might not be true.

Yes everyone needs to do what works for them but I know people have pointed stuff out in these forums that I never knew before and that have caused me to change things in my diet.