Whole30, anyone?

Options
Anyone else doing whole30?? I am on day two! I have never done it before. Female, age 26. Hoping to lose about 15 pounds in my journey total. ☺️

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What allergies are you suspecting?
  • kksgal1
    kksgal1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 as well! So far so good!
  • 232good
    232good Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Kksgal1 you should friend me!! :))
    I'm not suspecting any allergies. I'm just addicted to sugar lately... Like indulging in Halloween candy and wanting it after every meal. I'm going to try and change that!!
  • squeakylynn
    squeakylynn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    WHAT is whole30??
  • 232good
    Options
    Lol. It's eating whole foods. No suffering :) yet.
  • kksgal1
    kksgal1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed it so far...it's been fun checking out different recipes!
  • 232good
    Options
    Me too! I'm eating until I'm full. No starving involved.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I have done a diet that is essentially this due to health reasons and am about to start on something similar again, so I hope to lose weight with you!
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've done two before, and I'm planning to do another in January, with everyone else! I'm doing a ketogenic diet right now, so I need to figure out a way to do a keto whole30
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I did one round back in july, and I started another round about two weeks ago, but I quit 11 days in. The first time I did it because I was dealing with a lot of ailments and was hoping it would help with my health and relationship with food. It def made my relationship with a food a lot better, but I gained 2 lbs since I have a huge appetite, so not tracking and weighing made me gain weight.. which is fine, cause I didnt do it to lose weight. This round I mainly did it because my sugar cravings were out of control, and I wanted to just enjoy and crave real foods again. My heart just wasnt in it this round, and my reasons for doing it werent strong enough, so I just decided to go back to my normal eating and just deal with the cravings. Food makes me happy, and if I dont have a good reason to avoid certain foods, I'm not going to.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    WHAT is whole30??

Like was said, it's an eating challenge.

Not a bad one, IMHO, or unhealthy as long as you make sure to get enough vitamins (just like any diet), or anything. It's just basically a challenge to try and eat mostly healthy, unprocessed foods, in a way that you might not usually do. Also to avoid a few known ingredients that most of us tend to overindulge in, or that we all know are not that great for us. And at the same time, you focus on the food, not the weight, so no weighing yourself for the entire 30 days, either.

So for 30 days only:
    - No added sugar of any kind - not sugar, not honey, not agave, nada.
    - No alcohol, including extracts
    - No grains, or pseudo grains. This one is for the 'we tend to over-indulge in foods that contain grains' issue.
    - no legumes
    - no dairy
    - no carrageenan, msg, or sulfites
    - and no trying to recreate foods you normally DO eat with substitutions (like, trying to make cookies with coconut flour and apple juice concentrate and such). This is to help just kind of have a different eating experience, really. That 'eating differently than you usually do' thing.

What you do eat is "meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. "

And then at the end of 30 days, you go back to your normal diet, but maybe you have some new recipe ideas, or have some better idea of when you are overindulging, now that you stopped eating some of these foods for a while, or, and I know a number of folks this happened to, you might find out that some ingredients you typically eat actually make you feel kind of crummy and you felt much better avoiding them.

Oh god, I'd starve or end up chugging olive oil. I like vegetables and lean meats, and were it not for dairy products and grains my diet would be dangerously low calorie in the summer time.

• 232good
    Options
    I've done two before, and I'm planning to do another in January, with everyone else! I'm doing a ketogenic diet right now, so I need to figure out a way to do a keto whole30

This would be very very difficult to do. I like this whole30 because I'm not counting calories but eating healthy foods until I'm full. Not a ton of fruit. I've lost 3 pounds in 4 days which is most likely water weight from all the Carbs and bread that my body is getting rid of! I've done a ketogenic diet and I can never never maintain. But this one I feel full, and healthy! Good for you for having the strength to do a keto diet!
  • 232good
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    I have done a diet that is essentially this due to health reasons and am about to start on something similar again, so I hope to lose weight with you!

Good luck!!! I started mine to kick my sugar cravings. I was indulging in a candy bar after lunch and dinner and would want more... I had to stop it before I spiraled!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    WHAT is whole30??

It's an extreme elimination diet. It didn't start out for weight loss, it was for people suspecting allergies, sensitivities, etc. People lost weight because so many food categories were eliminated.

OP - do you plan on being ADDED sugar free for the rest of your life? You're not "addicted" to sugar in fruits and veggies the same way?
  • 232good
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    WHAT is whole30??

It's an extreme elimination diet. It didn't start out for weight loss, it was for people suspecting allergies, sensitivities, etc. People lost weight because so many food categories were eliminated.

OP - do you plan on being ADDED sugar free for the rest of your life? You're not "addicted" to sugar in fruits and veggies the same way?

I plan on breaking the habit of how much added sugar I was intaking. It was unhealthy. I don't crave the sugar from fruits like I crave chocolate or ice cream lol. So this is a program that helps to re-structure my relationship with food. I don't mind if I don't lose much weight on it since I'm down to my last 15 pounds, but rather id love to feel great and so far cutting out diary has been amazing for me.
  • 232good
    Options
    Dairy***
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    232good wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    WHAT is whole30??

I plan on breaking the habit of how much added sugar I was intaking. It was unhealthy. I don't crave the sugar from fruits like I crave chocolate or ice cream lol. So this is a program that helps to re-structure my relationship with food. I don't mind if I don't lose much weight on it since I'm down to my last 15 pounds, but rather id love to feel great and so far cutting out diary has been amazing for me.

So you're not addicted to sugar.

You like the taste combination of sugar and fats.

Just like most people.