Craving for pizza?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    A lot of times it's hard to tell how big something is from pictures posted here, but that looks about the same as a slice of regular pizza? A slice of regular pizza can range in calories but even from a delivery chain it's usually around 280-300 cals so I'm not sure how this is dramatically better?

I buy really thin crusts (that's St Louis style so they are prevalent here, not sure about elsewhere) which are 150 cals for a 6 inch base. My favorite is pesto, flavored chicken sausage, red peppers and artichoke hearts with mozzarella and goat cheese. The whole thing ends up being about 500 cals but I have no problem fitting that into my day, and there are certainly lower cal options too (the pesto drives mine up)

Also not loving the lettuce melted under the cheese, but I commend you OP for finding something you enjoy and sharing it with others!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If I want pizza I make room for it. When I have a craving no pizza like substance is going to do the trick.

I do think that some of the pizza alternatives are quite tasty. They just aren't pizza.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm a pizza snob now. Only this kind of pizza will do.

IMG_2457.jpg

Awesome crust and less toppings... thankfully there are a bunch of places selling them around here in NJ!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't think that would do it for me but that is the trick, we all have to figure that out for ourselves!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Here's my home made pizza!

that's clever. i'm a huge fan of figuring out my own hacks for getting what i want without accepting some manufacturer's ingredient set.

i shouldn't have looked since i'm hungry though :D

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    There's a place about an hour from here that makes a pretty killer BLT pizza. It does have lettuce, but it doesn't bother me too much because there is bacon and other yummy things. To me the weirdest thing about the BLT pizza is the mayo on top....
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If I want pizza, I'll go get one, eat a couple of slices, give the rest away, call it a cheat day and move on.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I personally just do a casserole with the toppings. No crust leaves more calories for toppings!
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I use Thomas' light whole grain English muffins (100cal each), a little pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and turkey pepperoni to make little mini pizzas! Bake at 400F for about 12-15 min. Quite yummy and filling and definitely satisfies my pizza cravings. I wouldn't mind going out or ordering in pizza but this is more cost efficient. :)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm doing exactly that on Sunday, @eluvscats ! It's my first time trying English muffin pizzas that way (I've made them with regular muffins and pepperoni, tons of cheese, and more toppings before, though), so I'm glad to hear it'll turn out well. ;)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of naan?

Of course ... and I like it. I get it when we go out to dinner at our favourite Indian restaurants.

However, it is very high in calories, so I only do that a few times a year.

• Machka9
    Options
    Regarding Thin Crust pizzas ... I thought they'd be fewer calories too, but this was a bit of a revelation for me ...

https://www.dominos.com.au/media/89746/extra-value-range-sept-2016.pdf
    https://www.dominos.com.au/media/89753/traditional-chicken-prawn-range-sept-2016.pdf

My favourite is the Godfather.

So ...

Godfather with classic crust 70g 634kJ (152Cal)

Godfather with thin base 71g 682kJ (163Cal)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If that arrived on a plate in a restaurant surely you would send it back?

That looks truly sad.
  • FrankieFrench1
    FrankieFrench1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I prefer this kinda pizza as does my body c6hwlh5exkww.jpg
  • Machka9
    Options
    jcp4coa7jfyz.jpg
    Here's my home made pizza!

Total calories~ 262

1whole wheat bread top with 2tbsp pasta sauce, some veggies, 1/4cup skim mozzarella cheese and 2links of turkey sausage. Put it in to oven and bake it at 375 for 10mins. Enjoy thanks

Personally, I'd pop another piece of bread on top of that, cut it half and call it a sandwich. Something I might have for some variety for lunch. :)
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Once I ordered a veggie pizza take out from an italian restaurant for first time and when we opened it, it had a bunch of different vegetables including italian style cut green beans lol! Sounds weird but it actually tasted pretty good. Sometimes, I will add green beans to pasta sauce to make a little healthier.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    To be fair, I like pizza on a toasted baguette, but random sandwich bread... meh.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    That would do nothing for me but make me angry because I would still want a real pizza.

I just make mine at home now so I can control what (and how much) goes on it.
  • VertBert
    VertBert Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First time Fathead Pizza...bloody good for a pizza fix with minimal carbs.

fs1us73pnj7a.jpg
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You could use a tortilla or pita bread as a quick pizza crust.

This is what I often do now. Quizno's make a nice flatbread 'pizza' which I love but it's too high in calories for me to have often, so I started using 100-cal tortillas as a base and adding pepperoni, cheese and veggies, with salsa instead of tomato sauce. Pop it in the oven for a few minutes and, as they say, "Robert is very much your mother's brother". ;)

It's generally 350 - 400 cals depending on exactly what I put on it, which might seem a lot for the size of it but I find it satisfies the craving for me most times. :)

Of course, now and again only a proper pizza will do, and on those days I just suck it up and take the calorie hit. It's worth it! (I do prefer thin crust, like some others have mentioned, because I don't want too much dough overwhelming the taste of the toppings. :) )