looking for help.. highly active amateur triathlete and cyclist..

Options
I am a 220 lb 6 ft 1 in tall male. I think my ideal weight is around 200.. i have had a history of being over weight. at my max i was 270 lbs before i got into diet and exercise and was a full time world of warcraft player. I've struggled to make any real lasting progress towards this goal of 200 lbs. It's like i can put a concerted effort into logging calories and pull on this 220 pound spring for a while. I've gotten as low as 211.. but that darned spring just pulls me back to 220..

I want to be a faster cyclist to be able to win a bike race some day.

I don't know how to lose this weight.

I feel that it is insane to trust myfitnesspal when i log a 3000 calorie exercise day because it is telling me to eat 5000 calories on days like this! in the past, i have in fact listened to this advice. i didn't gain weight right away from it so i believe it is in fact the calories i need. It's just the after effect of this for days on end later is extreme hunger and low metabolism that makes it seem harder to lose any weight. i just end up falling off my diet entirely possibly because i can't handle eating 5000 calories of healthy food.. no time or no money or maybe just my stomach isn't big enough to handle this much "healthy low fat" food.

My friends don't think it makes sense as they don't think they eat like this either.

what is the way an athlete should be eating?
I do try to make sure i get some greens in, some carrots, other vegetables, whole grains, enough protein with whey protein recovery drinks, avoid eating out and cook my own food as much as possible...

My family makes it hard as they will end up buying me crap to eat and my wallet doesn't know how to say, "no thanks i'm not putting that crap in my body" :(

Replies

• AlanBardgett
    AlanBardgett Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello Iayoung8505,

>> I am a 220 lb 6 ft 1 in tall male. I think my ideal weight is around 200..

Being 6' 1', 220 lb, that puts you at BMI 29, overweight.
    At 200 lb, you'll still be at BMI 26, still overweight.
    To get below BMI 25, you'll need to be below 190 lbs.

Note: Yes, BMI is a SCREENING test, not a diagnosis test. But it's a quick and easy way to look at weight health. Body Fat percentage is a better indicator IMO. There's multiple ways of estimating body fat %, but the easiest is to go to the doctor (assuming they do accurate skin fold tests).

Here's a triathelete article about recommended body fat %:

Optimal Body Fat Ranges, By Age
    Men
    20-29 3-10%
    30-39 5-12%
    40-49 6-15%
    50+ 8-17%

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/12/nutrition/the-dos-and-donts-of-getting-leaner_81493

>> I want to be a faster cyclist to be able to win a bike race some day.

I started dieting and cycling in April of this year. Know that it's typical that for every 10 pounds you lose, you gain 1 mph. Let that give you some incentive on losing fat. Weight doesn't affect riding on the flats. Weight has a significant role in sprint and climbing performance. Every extra pound you have you have to get moving and also carry up the hills.

>> I feel that it is insane to trust myfitnesspal when i log a 3000 calorie exercise day because it is telling me to eat 5000 calories on days like this!

For losing weight, I think people shouldn't pay attention to what MyFitnessPal states when it adjusts for exercise. I stuck with a 1700 calorie a day limit. I'd eat an energy bar on 1 hour+ rides though. Don't want to bonk. That would suck. Most likely your athletic performance will be initially affected, but once you reach your goal weight, you'll then have better performance from just being lighter.

I'm not telling you how you should diet, but this is what worked for me:

1) 1700 calories a day. First the first couple months, measure everything. After that, measuring still helps but you'll get a better feel on how many calories are in what.
    2) Exercise - cycling: 20-30 minutes most days, 1.5-2 hour ride about every other week. Pushups - I started one of the many "100 pushups" work outs. I did the push ups for both arm strength and also to assist with core, which helps with cycling as well.

My results:

After 202 days, I've lost 69 pounds, am 3 pounds away from my goal weight. I'm able to keep up with "A" group at a local cycling club. My initial average cycling speed was 8.5 mpg. Yeah, I hacked and coughed and spit most of my first rides. Now, 8 miles is my typical ride @ 17.5 mph (yeah, still working on pushing faster).

Rough estimate for you:

Using this website, it estimated (if you were 35 years old) that if you did no exercise, your body needs 2,455 calories per day. Subtract 500 calories per day to lose 1 pound a week (there are 3,500 calories in a pound).

http://www.dietitian.com/calcbody.php

With regular exercise and regular long rides, your weight drop about 3 pounds a week for a few weeks, then get to a steady rate. Add/subtract calories to get near 1% weight loss per week. Men shouldn't go below 1,500 calories a day btw. Keep accurate records of your weight (I only do weekly) and food intake. Don't pay attention to individual weigh ins but do pay attention to the average rates over the last 2-3 weeks. Weight variables (water retention, food in stomach/bowels) change daily. Focus on fat loss, not weight loss.

Let me know what you go with and how it goes!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

At some point you lost 50 pounds, so you know the mechanics of what it takes to lose weight. Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. So, you've already made a wonderful achievement!

It sounds to me like you are speaking more about the psychological mindset to lose weight. All I can say is you have to really want to lose weight, and if you don't really want it it's not going to happen.

You're 31 years old and your family is not responsible for what you eat. In fact, your choices are to make a list of what you want for the family member in charge or purchasing food, or go buy it yourself.

Finally, 10 pounds is not that much. All I can tell you is to set your goals to lose .5 pounds a week, stay in your calorie deficit, and you will lose weight.

Good luck! :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    A couple of things stand out to me here:

First, MFP is notorious for over-estimating calorie burns for exercise. What are you doing on those 3000 cal burn days? Many people only eat back half to three quarters of their exercise cals, so maybe give that a go if you feel the full amount is too much.

Second, lose the emphasis on "healthy low fat food". Food is about context, there is no healthy/unhealthy in that respect, and low fat is completely unnecessary for weight loss (that's purely calories in vs calories out). In fact, restricting yourself to "healthy low fat food" may well be contributing to you falling off the wagon. For many people, fat is satiating, meaning you will feel full and more satisfied for longer (this is by no means universal though). Try looking at higher calorie, nutrient-dense foods like nuts and oils, cheese, full fat dairy, peanut butter etc. And if you're eating 3000+ cals a day on high exercise days you have plenty of room for some treats while still meeting your nutritional requirements. Everything in moderation ;)

If you make your food diary public we may be able to give you some more suggestions. If you play around with your macro split (carbs/fats/protein) you may be able to hit on an eating plan that helps with the crazy hunger (example: when I lost my weight last year my only exercise was walking and yoga, since then I've started running, and very recently cycling. I'm currently trying to lose a couple of winter pounds (southern hemisphere) and I've found I need to eat way more carbs than I did last year losing weight due to my increased activity. If I don't I have no energy and want to eat my own arm off).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    One more thing: instead of trying to eat back all your exercise cals on that day, spread them out over the week or next few days when you are hungrier. I'm often not extra hungry on my big exercise days, but it will kick in the couple of days following.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your exercise burns at being 3000 calories?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I am a 220 lb 6 ft 1 in tall male. I think my ideal weight is around 200.. i have had a history of being over weight. at my max i was 270 lbs before i got into diet and exercise and was a full time world of warcraft player. I've struggled to make any real lasting progress towards this goal of 200 lbs. It's like i can put a concerted effort into logging calories and pull on this 220 pound spring for a while. I've gotten as low as 211.. but that darned spring just pulls me back to 220..

I want to be a faster cyclist to be able to win a bike race some day.

I don't know how to lose this weight.

I feel that it is insane to trust myfitnesspal when i log a 3000 calorie exercise day because it is telling me to eat 5000 calories on days like this! in the past, i have in fact listened to this advice. i didn't gain weight right away from it so i believe it is in fact the calories i need. It's just the after effect of this for days on end later is extreme hunger and low metabolism that makes it seem harder to lose any weight. i just end up falling off my diet entirely possibly because i can't handle eating 5000 calories of healthy food.. no time or no money or maybe just my stomach isn't big enough to handle this much "healthy low fat" food.

My friends don't think it makes sense as they don't think they eat like this either.

what is the way an athlete should be eating?
    I do try to make sure i get some greens in, some carrots, other vegetables, whole grains, enough protein with whey protein recovery drinks, avoid eating out and cook my own food as much as possible...

My family makes it hard as they will end up buying me crap to eat and my wallet doesn't know how to say, "no thanks i'm not putting that crap in my body" :(

Pick up a copy of Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight. It's filled with excellent information as a starting point for you - including nutrition for the racer. I doubt 220 or even 200 is your ideal race weight since you are 6'1". I'm 6'4" and my ideal racing weight is sub 170. I dropped from 212 down to 165. Huge difference on the bike, trust me.

You don't have enough pictures posted of your physique, so it's hard to tell without seeing where you carry your extra weight (abdomen, muscle, etc...). Power to weight ratio is key if you want to win a bike race. You would have to put out a lot more power at 200 or 220 pounds than the bike racers in the 140 - 165 pound range to even think about having a chance to win a bike race that involves hills or wind.

The off season is the best time to drop weight, as the studies cited in Fitzgerald's book point out why. So, if you want to drop the weight - you've got to eat at a deficit every day until you reach your goal.
  • squarewheels66
    squarewheels66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight.

Do this

I suspect your racing weight will be sub 180lb. Even that's bit on the big side to win bike races.