55+ looking to lose 50 pounds - anyone care to join me?

Options
Let's encourage and support each other as we improve our health and overall well-being. How we do it is not important to me. Everyone is different. My body prefers lower carb and calorie counting. In my case, my body prefers to lose 20 pounds, then take a few weeks off, and then start up again. Helps break those pesky stalls. I would like to hear what works for you and be a supportive MFP friend.

Replies

• rowdy523
    rowdy523 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been using myfitnesspal since April 20, 2016. I have entered my food and exercise every day. so far 20.6 is gone. It's very slow because I'm 79 years old with a lot of pain in hips, knees and feet. Even walking is difficult. I was swimming in the pool, but now it is too cold, so I'm going to join a gym. Lately about once a week I go to the mall and walk at least 1/2 hour (I use a carriage to lean on, and sit down a few minutes. That usually helps a lot, and I usually lose a pound each time. It just dawned on me as I read this that if I could get to the mall more often, I might lose a little faster! Maybe.
  • rebecky8085
    rebecky8085 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, im Becky 55 with 80 pounds to lose. Its hard going for me this time ( I've lost and found the same 50 pounds 4 times ) because I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis I must do hard exercise to lose weight and then it's always been slow. Now I have fibromyalgia and hard exercising is a thing oo the past. My job is janitorial and thats hard enough lol.
    I would love to join this group.
    Thank you :)
  • Suanough
    Suanough Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi All, just started MFP and trying to get a feel for the site. I'm 74, diabetic with HTN and bad hips. Walking and walking pool laps is my main form of exercise. Hope to add some weight training in the future.
  • tlentz1108
    tlentz1108 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 50+ and I just started this week. I have 35-40 lbs to lose. Lost it on weight watchers a few years ago , but didn't stick with maintenance. Just started a mediterranean diet for heart and blood pressure issues. I try to walk 3 miles 3-4 times a week. I'm thinking about trying plates at home this week.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Suanough wrote: »
    Hi All, just started MFP and trying to get a feel for the site. I'm 74, diabetic with HTN and bad hips. Walking and walking pool laps is my main form of exercise. Hope to add some weight training in the future.

It's great to see you join. I'm 69 been on here for over 3 years and have lost 50lbs. I have a back problem so didn't want to lift weights but I'm using resistence bands and my upper body is getting stronger. Feel free to add me for mutual support. If you have any questions about MFP then just message me. Good luck. Carol
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    All you ladies above can do this, stick with it, log your food and drinks. Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck you will do just fine
  • kjfarr50
    kjfarr50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have 50 lbs to lose, I'm 5 ft and 52 years old. I'm starting the leslie Sansone walking dvds. Best wishes to all!
  • PeterPlatt
    PeterPlatt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've been pretending to want to lose 50lbs for two years now...Finally 2 weeks ago I made the commitment again. I'm tracking my food - but consistently going over (although exercise has added cals that help) and only lost a couple of pounds so far. Trying to figure out which of my many bad habits might be the quickest way to start seeing some results.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    PeterPlatt wrote: »
    Hi - I've been pretending to want to lose 50lbs for two years now...Finally 2 weeks ago I made the commitment again. I'm tracking my food - but consistently going over (although exercise has added cals that help) and only lost a couple of pounds so far. Trying to figure out which of my many bad habits might be the quickest way to start seeing some results.

If you have an open diary and you are logging all food and drink perhaps your friends can hel to see which habits are causing you to not lose upto the amount you feel you should. You have lost so that's great. Wishing you very good luck stick with it.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    HI all, I've been on this journey before, I am 65. I started again 45 days ago and have lost about 20 lbs so far. I have another 50 to go to get myself to a healthy BMI. I too have bad ankles, knees , and back. There are times now I start to feel it in my hips too so its time for a change. I start physical therapy today for my knees to see if it helps. I am trying to walk 10,000 steps per day. Just made it yesterday for the first time in over a year. Please feel free to friend me we can all offer support to one another.
  • celestial2763
    celestial2763 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I will join..53 and its time to show myself some tough love, I worry with the holidays and snow right around the corner..what I am trying right now is 1 cheat day ( Only as many calories as my maintenance cals allow) I heard the extra calories shock the system and speeds up your metabolism, we will see how that goes and I changed my goals to 15 lbs at a time ( I have 50 to go), feel free to add me
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Any of you above can feel free to add me for mutual support. Looks like we have a lot in common. Ive been on her for over three years and lost 50lbs still a way to go. Good luck to you all
  • Showthyme
    Showthyme Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It is so important for us to keep our weight in check as we get older so we can stay healthy and get around easily. It's easy to fall off of the weight loss wagon but it is good to know that we can jump back on and continue to make progress.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,376 Member
    Options
    Hi,I'm 62. I joined in June & lost 23lbs. I want to lose 50 total. During the hot summer is was very easy because i'm not hungry at all in the heat, but with the cooler weather, I'm craving hot food so I make a big pot of chicken soup & when it's gone, I make another. It's just me & hubby & 5 dogs, 2 cats. We have 4 grown children with families of their own & 7 grand children. I take the dogs to dog park (or walk) every morning. I walk in evening most days, go to the gym & volunteer with our animal rescue. I got laid off my full time job at a hospital 3yrs ago, so i'm retired. I stopped going to the gym about 10yrs ago. When i was going 6 days/wk I was 15lbs lighter but never got below that. I was 40lbs lighter 18yrs ago, so i kept this weight for years but now I'm ready to shed it.
  • Lainey131
    Lainey131 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I'm in! I am 55+ and would like to lose 30lbs. I will start logging my calories and exercise tomorrow and will check in here as well. Looking forward to being a part of a supportive community.
  • danem0m
    danem0m Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello all, Similar story here. 50 lbs I want OFF! I want to get rid of the first 20 before tackling the exercise portion due to a fused right ankle and a very bad left knee. Looking forward to the camaraderie that will take us ALL to our goals!
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Hi all for those that are new to MFP I'm assuming you all know this is not a group but a forum, if you want to support each other daily you would need to friend each other on MFP and then your friends feeds and entries will be visible to you when you log on each day, and visa Verda.